The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 03-06-2024, 10:50 AM

Default Software To View USB Audio Input Levels In Windows?

How can I 'SEE' the input levels of a two channel USB Audio Interface in Windows?

I'm using a Focusrite Saffire 6 USB 2.0. The software it comes with doesn't show the input levels. (just a box to choose sample rate and buffer)

What I want to do is this:

1) Plug XLR mic into USB Audio interface
2) Plug 1/4" Jack cable (acoustic guitar) into USB Audio interface.
3. VISUALLY SEE THE INPUT LEVELS on a computer screen - so I can match them by turning the gain knobs up or down!

Not a big ask....

What software has the ability to show the input levels?
Do I need an entire DAW program to simply see the input levels of a two channel USB audio interface?

What are my options?

I've got pro tools on a Mac, but I need to be able to do this on a windows laptop. I just need to see the input levels - so I can match the levels on the two channels.

Is this completely out of the question? Or is it so simple that I'll look silly?

I can't find anything that will do this and internet searches come up blank...

Thanks for any insight or help anyone can offer!

Last edited by JazzyJ; 03-06-2024 at 10:55 AM.
Old 03-06-2024, 12:34 PM
Charter Member

Maybe I’m not quite understanding the question … but what is the purpose of running the signal into the laptop in the first place? A DAW would be an option for seeing the levels but it doesn’t sound like you’re looking to record. Are you running the laptop outputs to speakers or something?
Old 03-06-2024, 12:45 PM

I've been using Audacity (freeware) for many years. I have a two channel Presonus audio interface that I can use with mics, instrument/preamp/amp outputs, my stereo output, etc.

I can use it to record anything from a 3.5 mm, 1/4" phone plug, XLR and more. It has digital record input level meters and playback output level meters.

The Presonus unit just has a red LED clip indicator.
Old 03-06-2024, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzyJ View Post
Do I need an entire DAW program to simply see the input levels of a two channel USB audio interface?
Yes, I believe you do.

Google, "free DAW"
Old 03-06-2024, 01:02 PM
Charter Member

It's not very definitive, but you can get an indication of the levels in the Windows Settings System Sound. Here you can adjust your volume and see it in a "slide".

Windows 11 has a built-in sound recorder. You can see the levels in a test recording.

You can also see the "levels" in the setup part for the speech recognition tool

If you bring up a ZOOM session you can see your level(s) there in audio settings

I hope this helps

Lee
Old 03-06-2024, 01:15 PM

The program that is receiving the audio should show you levels, or at least that there is a signal coming in. If not a DAW, then Zoom or whatever program you are trying to get the mic/guitar signals into. It would help us help you if you told us what you are trying to do with your audio, if not record it in a DAW.
Old 03-06-2024, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzyJ View Post
How can I 'SEE' the input levels of a two channel USB Audio Interface in Windows?

I'm using a Focusrite Saffire 6 USB 2.0. The software it comes with doesn't show the input levels. (just a box to choose sample rate and buffer)

What I want to do is this:

1) Plug XLR mic into USB Audio interface
2) Plug 1/4" Jack cable (acoustic guitar) into USB Audio interface.
3. VISUALLY SEE THE INPUT LEVELS on a computer screen - so I can match them by turning the gain knobs up or down!

Not a big ask....

What software has the ability to show the input levels?

What are my options?

I've got pro tools on a Mac, but I need to be able to do this on a windows laptop. I just need to see the input levels - so I can match the levels on the two channels.

Is this completely out of the question? Or is it so simple that I'll look silly?

I can't find anything that will do this and internet searches come up blank...

Thanks for any insight or help anyone can offer!
All "DAW" type programs I'm aware of are designed to display graphically any level that hits or exceeds the digital "zero db" level. The whole point of doing the GUI is to graphically display the input level, detect maximum input level and notify the user that the input level has surpassed the zero db point.

If you need to "see" the actual numbers it would be impossible to follow the numerical changes in the analog to digital conversion that would show a peek exceeding the conversion abilities to a maximum value. That's what those colorful level meters do.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD