The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

View Poll Results: I would opt for acrylic nails...
Not. I wouldn't dream of it. 25 37.31%
...Using the D.I.Y. method. 20 29.85%
...If applied at a nail salon by a professional. 22 32.84%
Voters: 67. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-17-2012, 10:50 PM

Default Acrylic Nails

I've already posted a thread on this, but I got only praise for acrylic nails and I know there may be another side to the story; so I thought I might as well make a poll. Feel free to post any tips/advice/stories anyhow.
Old 10-18-2012, 03:40 AM

This may be my first post on this forum! I recently tore the tip of my thumb nail half across, and as I don't use a plectrum, I was aghast at the idea of waiting 4 weeks or so for it to grow long enough to pick again.

I first glued the torn edge back on with superglue. Then I put a thin piece of tissue paper over the nail, saturated it with superglue, and waited for it to dry. I repeated this with another piece of tissue and superglue.

When this was dry, I cut and shaped it, then applied 3 coats of my wife's "Hard as Nails" nail protector polish. Then another coat of gloss, just to over-engineer the whole thing.

The surprising thing is that this worked very well. It has lasted 3 weeks so far of rehearsals and even a gig. It should grow out or drop off soon I suppose, but I do like the tougher nail edge.

I'm sure acrylic would look better, but this was a successful DIY emergency procedure that has worked well.
Old 10-18-2012, 04:44 PM

Keep the chemicals out of your lungs and body. Find a way to use your own nails or picks. Too many chemicals killing us already that we cant control.
Old 10-18-2012, 07:32 PM

Default Another option for torn nails or short nails

Hobby shops carry a super thin fiberglass cloth that can be used to fix broken nails or help thicken up one, even lengthen your nails. A small piece cut to cover the tip of the nail and nail glue and it almost disappears to where it looks natural. You can build up three layers or so and file to shape it and it usually last 2 or 3 weeks depending on your line of work. Not saying this is the best method but it beats acrylic nails. Don't cover the entire nail ...
Old 10-18-2012, 07:52 PM

Never used a plectrum in 45 years of playing. Though I like to hear others strum a guitar with a plectrum, I only fingerpick. I do use a thumbpick. And I have tried plastic and metal fingerpicks. Just don't care for them. I used to break nails fairly often at work. Now that I am retired, I still break nails, but now from gardening. I use acrylic power and an acrylic bonding liquid to form a longer nail by holding an aLaska Pik (I coat the alaska pik with dish liquid to keep the acrylic from sticking to it) under the nail and brush on an extension (I only cover about 1/4" of my nail tip) by laying up a couple of coats. Not much is need to repair/replace a broken nail. I can put a new nail on and have it filed to shape in 2 or 3 minutes.

'17 National El Trovador cutaway
'16 National ResoRocket N
'14 Martin CS-00S-14 Honduras Rosewood/Swiss Spruce 12fret short scale
'12 Stehr Brazilian/Sinker Redwood 12fret short scale
'11 Taylor Spring LTD Macassar/Cedar 12fret short scale
'11 Taylor NS74ce Rosewood/Cedar
'10 Taylor Doyle Dykes Maple/Sitka DDSM short scale
'04 Taylor 914ce L7 Brazilian/Englemann
'71 Gibson SJ Deluxe

Last edited by Lakedaisy; 10-18-2012 at 07:54 PM. Reason: added for clarification.
Old 10-18-2012, 07:56 PM

shouldn't the fact that you only got praise for acrylic nails tell you something? In my own case they're a life saver/gig saver. Keep reposting and eventually you will get a negative comment or two, most likely from people who don't use or need them.
Old 01-10-2013, 01:13 AM

Latest trends of Acrylic nails now a day.
Old 01-10-2013, 01:57 AM

I had to, once, have a thumb nail applied by a salon when mine broke right before a big classical gig. It worked fine, but had very little sensitivity. Some nuance was lacking. Would only do it again in a similar emergency.

Acoustics: Martin D-35, 1924 Martin 0-28k, Taylor 814-ce, Gibson Dove, Lowden F-22, 60's Gibson Folksinger, Taylor 655, Martin Baritone (prototype), Larrivee Parlor (tuned high-strung)
Old 01-10-2013, 04:15 AM

Only when I'm playing Kotaro Oshio's fingerstyle. It's brutal
Old 01-10-2013, 05:51 AM

The "other side of the story" is that lots of other folks don't want them, don't need them, perhaps don't like them and therefore don't use them . There is no right or wrong approach here. Glad to hear that you like them.

2014 Pono N30 DC EIR/Spruce crossover
2009 Pono koa parlor (NAMM prototype)
2018 Maton EBG808TEC
2014 Hatcher Greta 13 fret cutaway in EIR/cedar
2017 Hatcher Josie fan fret mahogany
1973 Sigma GCR7 (OM model) rosewood and spruce
2014 Rainsong OM1000N2
....and about 5 really nice tenor ukuleles at any given moment
Old 01-10-2013, 08:11 AM

"Keep the chemicals out of your lungs and body. Find a way to use your own nails or picks. Too many chemicals killing us already that we cant control."

There is a medical grade of superglue available at most drug stores. Actually, cyanoacrylate glue was developed as a medical adhesive. Wikipedia says:

Cyanoacrylate is the generic name for a family of fast-acting adhesives with industrial, medical and household uses.

They include methyl 2-cyanoacrylate, ethyl-2-cyanoacrylate (commonly sold under trade names like "Super Glue" and "Krazy Glue"), and n-butyl cyanoacrylate (used in veterinary and skin glues). The related compound 2-octyl cyanoacrylate is a medical grade glue; it was developed to be non-toxic and less irritating to skin tissue.
Old 01-10-2013, 11:02 AM

I'd considered acrylic nails, but it seems to be very time consuming.

Thanks to the AGF and players like Eric Skye, I discovered Alaska Piks finger picks and I can't believe how great they are. Took me only a few days to get used to playing with them (after I had figured out how to trim them to my preferred length). They offer great tone/clarity/volume and I think are worth a try before going acrylic.

JD
Rainsong S-OM1100N2
Old 01-10-2013, 11:11 AM
Humanist

I started with option-3 but then went to option-2.

At first I was frustrated with the results when doing this myself...but I've gotten pretty good at it.

Worth considering...the right-hand attack can have more control and more oomph with acrylic nails.

I have pretty hard nails, and some might classify me in the "don't need it" category...but I can tell you that the acrylics really can add something significant to your playing, if you know what you're doing (playing-wise).
100 Greatest Acoustic Guitarists

Steel-string guitars by Rebecca Urlacher and Simon Fay
Classical guitars by Anders Sterner
Old 01-10-2013, 11:14 AM

I use'em. Have for a couple of years. Weak nails to start with. No concerns on chemicals, can't live in a bubble.

They work great, and I find myself doing things with the fingernails that I otherwise would need a pick for, and doing them quicker and clearer. Touch then up about every 4 weeks.

Could not play fingerstyle otherwise.

nw
Old 01-10-2013, 12:09 PM

I like them and have used them when I've broken a nail. The part that I don't like is that they grow out relatively quickly and if you don't get a fill done, they are very problematic - you get the strings caught on that back edge and it hurts.

I can't quite get myself to commit to regular visits to the nail salon and haven't tried to learn to do fills myself, so I don't use them except in emergencies. If I could bring myself to either of the former plans, I'd keep them on all of the time.
that's me on guitar

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
acrylic, acrylic nails, fingerstyle, nails