The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 11-30-2011, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arashaw View Post
I kind of like the 3rd clip the best...
You should try and do it again with all the EQs flat, and then maybe with similar settings. For example, if you find out what the cut and boosts and Q are like on the Ultrasound shape switch you could set the EQs on the PADI in similar ways. Testing the effect of EQ and testing the sound of the preamps themselves seem like different things to me. Ideally, it might make sense to use a splitter, so that the same performance could be sent through both the PADI and the amp's preamp. You could do that with the PADI and the PADI/Ultrasound options, I suppose, by sending the XLR signal from the PADI to protools and then use the 1/4" out to send the same thing to the amp (and then go from there to protools).

Thanks for taking the time to do some comparing. It's very interesting!

Louis

Last edited by lschwart; 11-30-2011 at 09:30 PM.
Old 11-30-2011, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lschwart View Post
You should try and do it again with all the EQs flat, and then maybe with similar settings. For example, if you find out what the cut and boosts and Q are like on the Ultrasound shape switch you could set the EQs on the PADI in similar ways. Testing the effect of EQ and testing the sound of the preamps themselves seem like different things to me. Ideally, it might make sense to use a splitter, so that the same performance could be sent through both the PADI and the amp's preamp. You could do that with the PADI and the PADI/Ultrasound options, I suppose, by sending the XLR signal from the PADI to protools and then use the 1/4" out to send the same thing to the amp (and then go from their to protools).

Thanks for taking the time to do some comparing. It's very interesting!

Louis
I was thinking the same thing about:

"sending the XLR signal from the PADI to protools and then use the 1/4" out to send the same thing to the amp (and then go from their to protools)."

I actually did record the three without eq but never posted then because I thought my my whole process was nonscientific, which it is.

If there is enough interest, maybe I'll try the splitter thing in the future. I wanted to post a couple clips mainly just to get folks interested.

Cheers
Old 11-30-2011, 09:03 PM

Anyone have an opinion on this splitter for doing a preamp shootout?

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...REG&sku=333337
Old 12-02-2011, 11:47 AM

we can connect the guitar to xlr mic input of the solstice;and not the 1 / 4?

Last edited by ntik; 12-02-2011 at 12:02 PM.
Old 12-04-2011, 08:43 AM

nobody help?
Old 12-04-2011, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntik View Post
we can connect the guitar to xlr mic input of the solstice;and not the 1 / 4?
Why would you want to? If you have a guitar with a balanced output (like a Taylor ES) then you would gain an advantage with a mic input, retaining the signal clarity and strength - though you would need to use the pad button to avoid overloading the input.

If not then you don't gain anything, and could even risk damage to the guitar if the phantom power switch was on, as phantom power demands a balanced cable and the right electronics at the other end.

If I remember rightly your gear includes a Fishman preamp of some sort which will send a regular line level signal down a two core (live and screen) cable, in which case use the tele input. I imagine the mic input is for those who combine an on-board pickup with a microphone (stand-mount or something like the DPA4099).
Gibson ES-335 Studio 2016; Furch OM34sr 2015; Fender MiJ Geddy Lee Jazz bass, 2009; Taylor 414CE 2005; Guild D35 NT 1976; Fender MIM Classic 60s Tele 2008; Fender US Standard Strat 1992; G&L ASAT classic hollowbody 2005; Ibanez RG350MDX 2010(?); Ibanez Musician fretless, 1980s; Seymour Duncan Tube 84-40; Vox AC4TV;

Ex-pat Brit in Sweden
Old 12-04-2011, 10:26 AM

if you connect solstice and equinox together,from solstice, or, from equinox will connect the cable to the PA?

Last edited by ntik; 12-04-2011 at 10:34 AM.
Old 12-04-2011, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pieterh View Post
Why would you want to? If you have a guitar with a balanced output (like a Taylor ES) then you would gain an advantage with a mic input, retaining the signal clarity and strength - though you would need to use the pad button to avoid overloading the input.

If not then you don't gain anything, and could even risk damage to the guitar if the phantom power switch was on, as phantom power demands a balanced cable and the right electronics at the other end.

If I remember rightly your gear includes a Fishman preamp of some sort which will send a regular line level signal down a two core (live and screen) cable, in which case use the tele input. I imagine the mic input is for those who combine an on-board pickup with a microphone (stand-mount or something like the DPA4099).
thanks my friend
Old 12-04-2011, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntik View Post
if you connect solstice to equinox together, in which one will give to the PA?
Whichever one works for you! If you have a sound tech then he or she would want a dry un-eq'd signal but if you're doing it yourself then find which gives best front of house sound. It feels like joining up the Solstice and Equinox is duplicating functions a bit, but it may do something for you that I'm missing!
Gibson ES-335 Studio 2016; Furch OM34sr 2015; Fender MiJ Geddy Lee Jazz bass, 2009; Taylor 414CE 2005; Guild D35 NT 1976; Fender MIM Classic 60s Tele 2008; Fender US Standard Strat 1992; G&L ASAT classic hollowbody 2005; Ibanez RG350MDX 2010(?); Ibanez Musician fretless, 1980s; Seymour Duncan Tube 84-40; Vox AC4TV;

Ex-pat Brit in Sweden

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification