The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 10-02-2010, 08:10 PM

Default Best guitar to nail those though chords?

I am looking for guitar suggestions that would be the best to play with wide enough string spacing at the nut and close enough frets to allow me to practice pieces of music with chords that have a reach into the 4th fret in the open position. I only have one electric (not counting acoustics with electronics), and it is great for practicing bare chords that tire my fingers after a while on an acoustic. Is there a guitar that you would recommend that would be especially good for ease on left-hand challenging parts? The best guitar that I have right now for that is a Blackbird Rider carbon fiber.

Blessings,
garyj

Martin D45, Breedlove NW, PRS Howard Leese, Ramirez 1a
Takamine EF77, Vicente Carrillo Gabriela, Yamaha LJ36, R Taylor S1
Yamaha AEX1500, Takamine H8SS, Yamaha FG, Martin 0-45S
Blackbird Rider, Martin 00-42K2 Robbie R, Yamaha CSF100K
Fender Custom Strat, Woolson Double Top Parlor
UKE'S - SCGC Koa, Collings UT3, Ko'olua Custom
Moore Bettah, Martin 5K, Kamaka, Blackbird
Old 10-02-2010, 08:20 PM

000 Martin pattern, and some Gibsons like J-45, LGO, etc have a shorter scale length than the usual dreadnought fare.

Gibson had a couple of different size steel-string Folk models in the '60's that had a 2" fretboard at the nut (and the shorter scale length). Classical guitars are usually 2" too.

Some 12-fret (clear of the body) Martin patterns have a wider nut.

The Martin OM pattern has a wider nut, but the longer dreadnought scale.
Old 10-02-2010, 08:42 PM

Gibson F-25s had a short 24.75" scale and 2" spacing at the nut. There is one on sale on Ebay right now; they can usually be found for a very reasonable price.
Old 10-02-2010, 08:43 PM
Charter Member

Hey Gary,

I think a short scale 12 fret oo would probably fit the bill nicely. Mine has a 1- 3/4" fingerboard, though depending on what you want, may or may not be wide enough. You could certainly find a 1-7/8 I would think.

Sometimes, those tough to finger chords or stretches simply require you to play in a position other than your "normal" position. I'm working on a fingerstyle arrangement of "Whiter Shade of Pale", and in order to finger some of the stretches, I realize I will have to hold the guitar in a more classical position.
Guitars; Esteban -"Tribute to Paula Abdul L.E." Arturo Fuente- Cigar Box"Hand Made" First Act-"Diamond Bling" Main Street- "Flaming Acoustic" Silvertone-"Paul Stanley Dark Star" Daisy Rock- "Purple Daze"
Old 10-02-2010, 08:46 PM

I hate stretches. I usually go to my Larrivee Parlor for those (24" scale), or my Cargo for the really big stretches (22-3/4" scale).

gits: good and plenty
chops: snickers
Old 10-02-2010, 08:48 PM

My CA Cargo seems to fit the bill nicely for that, with its short scale and 1-3/4 nut. And really low action.

But you can't have it.

You could have Tarpman's, though:

http://www.laguitarsales.com/pages/4..._Cargo_273.htm
Old 10-02-2010, 08:58 PM

Put a capo on the second fret of your current guitar. It will become an easy to play wonder with a wide neck and a 22" scale.

If you want to stay at a "normal" pitch, put on a set of medium gauge strings, tune down half a step, and put the capo on the first fret. You will have comfy, wider necked 24" scale guitar.
Old 10-02-2010, 09:34 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by epaul View Post
Put a capo on the second fret of your current guitar. It will become an easy to play wonder with a wide neck and a 22" scale.

If you want to stay at a "normal" pitch, put on a set of medium gauge strings, tune down half a step, and put the capo on the first fret. You will have comfy, wider necked 24" scale guitar.
Thats really a good idea. I do that quite a bit. Thanks for that epaul!
Guitars; Esteban -"Tribute to Paula Abdul L.E." Arturo Fuente- Cigar Box"Hand Made" First Act-"Diamond Bling" Main Street- "Flaming Acoustic" Silvertone-"Paul Stanley Dark Star" Daisy Rock- "Purple Daze"
Old 10-02-2010, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by epaul View Post

Geez, why didn't I think of that!
That's a GREAT solution!
Old 10-02-2010, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gitnoob View Post
I hate stretches. I usually go to my Larrivee Parlor for those (24" scale), or my Cargo for the really big stretches (22-3/4" scale).
I, too, find that Larrivee Parlor guitars great for those difficult chords. They are just a pleasure to play. I say that after playing my Metcalf Walnut Dreadnaught for over 3 hours straight at the NE Georgia Folk Festival this afternoon. The Dread was good and had the volume; but, I might, in the future, opt for a shortscale for endurance guitar activities. Actually, my shortscale Metcalf OM might be an even better choice with it's shallow Vee neck. The shorter geometry would make it even better. (NOTE: Of course playing everything in D, G, and A is not a big challenge.)

2007 Taylor GS M/S, 2002 Taylor 710 Ltd, 10 year old app. Seagull S12, 2007 SilverCreek T-160, 1960s Harmony Tenor, Harmony Parlor, 1969 Martin D-18, 1954 Gibson J-45, 2003 Taylor Big Baby,1961 Fender Jazzmaster, 1920s-something Martin Mandolin, Metcalf OM, Metcalf Walnut Dred, 1938 Paramount Tenor, Larrivee Parlor.

Last edited by jlkitch; 10-02-2010 at 10:22 PM. Reason: grammar

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion