The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 06-10-2008, 06:26 AM

Default Travel Guitar Questions

Alright, here is a dilemma. In July, I will be away from home for three weeks straight (two weeks on a visit back "home" to California, immediately followed by a weeklong business trip to Europe). And I'm quite certain that not touching a guitar for three weeks straight will mean the end of calluses on my left hand, which I am keen to prevent.

So my plan is that, while I'm in California, I would buy a travel guitar for the primary purpose of keeping my fingers in shape. (Having a nice tone is of course a bonus, but portability is more important in this case.) The only ones I've dabbled with in the past are both from Martin (Backpacker and Little Martin), and I have no experience of trying to handcarry a travel guitar on a flight.
  1. Can a 3/4-size guitar (with a case or gig bag) be counted on to be accepted as a carry on at most international flights by a majority of airlines? If not, is there a brand that offers cases/bag safe enough for the guitar to be checked in? (I know for sure I wouldn't check in a Little Martin with its "padded" bag.)
  2. If the answers to both questions are "no," what are some smaller "handcarry-able" guitars that sound and play halfway decently? (Personally speaking, the Backpacker's tone isn't too bad but it's rather awkward to play. I've heard about the Washburn Rover but haven't tried it yet.)
Thanks in advance for your advices.
Old 06-10-2008, 06:39 AM
Anticipation Junkie

Composite Acoustics "Cargo". I've never had a problem with this guitar nor my previous Baby Taylor in being allowed to place in the overhead compartment.
Old 06-10-2008, 06:43 AM

I fly back and forth a LOT and have never had to check a guitar - mine are all full-sized, too. Once, many years ago, I strapped two together and sent them as luggage, and they arrived fine! Otherwise, it's carry on board! No problems with Continental or AerLingus (who I usually fly)
Old 06-10-2008, 06:45 AM

I have heard, however, that you need to declare your guitar for customs, so you can take it out again. I have never done this, however.
Old 06-10-2008, 06:46 AM

I have both a Baby Taylor, as well as a Little Martin, and the only problem I ever had was when we had to take a "puddle jumper" flight from Miami to Key West. The o-head bins were not big enough for the guitar (Baby Taylor), so it had to be checked just before we got on the plane. Luckily there was no damage

Other than that, I've had no problem with guitar that size. But, I've read other posts here regarding traveling with guitars, and I think the consensus is that flying with anything over the size of a Baby Taylor may become a bit of a crapshoot, depending on the airline. Some may allow it, others may not.

I'm sure you'll get some great advice here shortly. Good luck with your travels!

Larrivee OM-05
Larrivee LS-03 Mahogany Forum III
Larrivee L-05
Taylor 214 - 2003
Taylor 510 - 1997
Baby Taylor - 2002
Little Martin - 2003
Old 06-10-2008, 06:53 AM

I checked with United Airlines before and I was cleared to bring my guitar as a carry on. The length of the case cannot exceed 45in.
As for a decent sounding travel guitar, I just ordered a Walden T550 from Spruce Tree Music. Wil at the store was extremely helpful with my many questions. Feel free to call him too. I think they have one more T550 left in the store. I should be getting mine this Friday. Hope this helps.
Old 06-10-2008, 07:07 AM

I recently bought the cargo travel guitar and haven't traveled with it yet, but for the sound and the durability thats what I'd look into. Supposedly you can practically run one over with a truck and not damage it. The exact length of mine is 35" inches so it fits into the 45"inch maximun length.
Old 06-10-2008, 07:16 AM

Wow, thanks for all the tips... So I guess the consensus is that 3/4 guitars are definitely okay for carry-on, maybe even 7/8.

It already seems that the Cargo gets a lot of love here, especially given that plastic guitars would be more durable. I just hope it sounds leaps and bounds better than the Little Martin (as the price gap would suggest), but it isn't exactly easy finding one available.
Old 06-10-2008, 08:01 AM

Hi Tokyo,

You're hearing all the positive comments so far, so I feel compelled to break that streak (sorry).

I spent 3 weeks on the road with a Cargo (3/4 size guitar), and was asked to gate-check 1/2 the time approximately (~a dozen flights). 4 different airlines.

I figured out a fairly easy way around it. Rip off the gate check tag as soon as you're out of site of whoever checked you, and make believe you never saw it, walk on and slip it in the overhead.

Just read about the state of US air travel and you should be able to tell that you can't just count on luck being with you right now.

Before those 3 weeks with the Cargo, I'd had a guitar on hundreds of flights over ~30-40 years and never had to gate check one once, so this is a combo of the state of air-travel with carry-on and luck of the draw.

If you see an extra agent at the gate, one that is not handling the tickets, they'll be scrutinizing carry-on, and regardless of how little sense it makes to pick on a tiny guitar, that's what they went for on each flight one of those agents handled. People in front of me with guitars and violins were gate-checked. Perhaps they just hate music ..
Old 06-10-2008, 08:04 AM
Anticipation Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TokyoNeko View Post
It already seems that the Cargo gets a lot of love here, especially given that plastic guitars would be more durable. I just hope it sounds leaps and bounds better than the Little Martin (as the price gap would suggest), but it isn't exactly easy finding one available.
Just to clarify, the Cargo is made of carbon fiber, not plastic. Also, IMO the higher cost of the Cargo vs. a Baby Taylor, Little Martin, etc. is well worth it on many levels, including tone and playability. You're right that the current popularity of the Cargo means a long wait if ordering. I suggest that you closely watch the AGF Classifieds because a few Cargos have been for sale lately (not because the sellers didn't like it, rather to fund another guitar acquisition). You'll have to act quick though, 'cause they get snapped right up. Good luck!

Last edited by Acousticado; 06-10-2008 at 08:41 AM.
Old 06-10-2008, 11:35 AM
Charter Member

I agree with all of the comments about the Cargo. You cannot compare the Little Martin or Baby Taylor to it and it is well worth the extra money.

I also have a Go-Grande guitar with a 24.5 inch scale which is hand built in San Diego and significantly smaller than the 3/4 sized guitars. It doesn't have the tone of the Cargo but it is very easy to travel with and I enjoy playing it. They are also less expensive than the Martin or Taylor and Sam will customize the guitar for you. I have no connection other than I like his products:

http://www.go-guitars.com/guitars.html

Mitch
Old 06-10-2008, 11:42 AM

I have a Big Baby Taylor. Its a better player than the baby taylor and its shorter than the 45" max. Great little 7/8ths guitar.
Ibanez Artcore semi hollow body.
Yamaha GC-40A (with a hole in the side)
Old 06-10-2008, 03:12 PM

I flew LA to NYC and back last week with my CA Cargo as carry-on luggage. Zoomed right through security - nobody gave it a second look - and it fit perfectly in the overhead compartment. And being carbon fiber I never had to worry about other passengers mashing it with their own stuff. Sounds great, plays great, costs plenty...

MM
Old 06-10-2008, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkatz View Post
I agree with all of the comments about the Cargo. You cannot compare the Little Martin or Baby Taylor to it and it is well worth the extra money.

I also have a Go-Grande guitar with a 24.5 inch scale which is hand built in San Diego and significantly smaller than the 3/4 sized guitars. It doesn't have the tone of the Cargo but it is very easy to travel with and I enjoy playing it. They are also less expensive than the Martin or Taylor and Sam will customize the guitar for you. I have no connection other than I like his products:

http://www.go-guitars.com/guitars.html

Mitch
Thanks for the link. Actually San Diego is where I am going, to be more specific, so this could be very convenient. I'll have to take a look at this.

EDIT: Called the shop, but they're overbooked through August. The only way I could get one next month is if someone cancels an order...

Last edited by TokyoNeko; 06-10-2008 at 04:53 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion