The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 08-26-2008, 03:50 PM

Default mid 70's Alvarez mod 5055

Hello, I am looking for some info on an old Alvarez mod 5055. I purchased this for $75 at a yard sale. It seems to be in good shape.
There are new mod 5055 bluesman with the f-hole that alvarez makes but this is the old model with Alvarez written in cursive at the top. Is this a good guitar?
I contacted the folks at Alvarez and all the told me was it was made in the mid 70's and retailed for $270. It only has one round hole and is a 6 string.
Any help with this would greatly be appreciated.
Old 08-27-2008, 06:52 AM

Found this review on Harmony Central:

Product: Alvarez 5055 Artist Bluesman
Price Paid: N/A
Submitted 02/21/2006 at 10:37am by Ruairidh Mor

Features : 8
I was told this was '79 though the serial suggests 1980. Whatever. Made in Japan. It's a loose copy of a Gibson J200. Solid spruce top, laminated maple back and sides. Maple 3-piece neck with volute, very Gibson, rosewood fingerboard, walnut bridge. Standard period Japanese covered tuners with plastic buttons, which work fine. Nice well-fitted crown block inlay in the fingerboard, fully bound body. Nice detailing throughout. There's absolutely no lift in the top so I'm guessing the bracing is fairly solid. I doubt if it's scalloped. It's a very well made instrument. Came with a case of sorts. .

Sound : 10
Brilliant. It sounds brilliant. It's a maple full-size jumbo with a solid spruce top. It's at least 25 years old, it sounds like-- a very nice well-aged quality guitar, really. Very bright and jangly in the treble, with excellent definition in the mid, and a tight controlled bass. Not boomy. Just FYI a lot of people think Jumbos have huge bass, but they don't. I have three, two Guilds and this, and they all have a very balanced sound across the frequencies. The articulation and definition of individual notes is amazing on jumbos.Everybody should have one.

I like everything about it. I long ago accepted that no one guitar would do everything I wanted to hear, so now I have enough to do it. This fits in beautifully with my other acoustics.

Action, Fit, & Finish : 10
Every high-end Alvarez I have tried has been a great player, and this is no exception. Great action, very comfortable neck, really nice player. Combined with the great sound, it's a winner.I already said it was well made. It is.

Reliability/Durability : 10
25 years old and still counting, this is probably good for the same again with no issues. Very well made, reliable guitar. I'd never gig without backup, but I can depend on it, for sure.

Customer Support : No Opinion
Never dealt with them.

Overall Rating : 9
I'll give it an 9 overall. If it was all solid and had better tuners I'd give it 10. Having said that the tuners on it work fine and maple seems to laminate better than rosewood, or at least the sound does not degrade so much. Certainly it sounds really good.

I have a few other guitars but clearly any comparison must be with my other 2 Jumbos, both Guilds. Both of those are a little older then this, both all solid guitars, one rosewood, one mahogany. They do sound different, and my Guild F50R is one of the most beautiful sounding guitars I have ever been in the same room as, but this Alvarez is not shamed in the company at all. In fact I had a nice Guild JF30 a while ago, and I'd say this was at least its equal in terms of sound, and the action is better.

Share? Yes. I can't comment on newer Alvarez, but the old Japanese top-end ones are really, really good guitars for very very cheap.

AND, here is another bit of info for you:

Answer
Hello Clyde,

I can tell you the basics, but without photo's of the one you have, I can't be sure of the exact year. Serial numbers are pretty much useless on Alvarez models, since these were made in several different factories. There were at least two different model 5055's, the later one, had 2 "f" stop holes in the top, with a sunburst finish, so I'm guessing this isn't what you have since you say it is all blonde.

First ones came out sometime around 1976-77, and depending on which year you have, it will have different features, and finishes. The older models will have ALVAREZ logo in script on front of headstock, newer ones will have the DOUBLE A logo. There is also one that came with a sunburst finish. I believe they were last made in 1980-81.

The 5055 model, known as the Alvarez Maple Super Jumbo, was made with all laminates, the top white spruce with inlaid celluloid rings around the sound hole, and white celluloid bound edges. Back of flame grained curly maple (2 piece), with multi-colored wood inlay center strip. Sides are flame grained maple. Three piece neck of rock maple, with U channel adjusting rod. All have large colorful pickguards. Bound rosewood fingerboard with inlaid sunrise pearloid markers. Some have a banner type adjustable bridge, others the ox yoke design. Most tuners are individual chrome enclosed, with pearloid (light green) tulip buttons.

Regardless of which year/type you have, they are wonderful guitars!
Alvarez RD20S12
Fender Telecaster
Ibanez AG-75
Martin 000X1AE
Cort Earth 70DE
Old 03-16-2009, 06:31 PM

I bought one new on August 14 1976 in San Antonio. Mine is serial 14368. It is very much a Gibson J200 look-a-like and sound-a-like. Mine differs from yours in that it has an adjustable bridge. I paid $235 for it new. Since I have had it that long, you can understand that I like it and it is a 9+ in my book for kind of music I play (or attempt to play).

I'll double your money you paid for it if you want to get rid of it and pay all shipping charges.
Old 01-15-2013, 10:46 PM

Default Sell it!

Double it?

Forget that, I will quadruple what you paid, cover the shipping, AND let you have my sister for several months. And if that still isn't enough, name your price.

Actually, strike that. I'll happily give you 5x your investment, assuming it is in good shape.

Also, we'll need her back at some point though, because no one pulls a plow like our sister does.

Whaddaya say?
Old 01-15-2013, 11:45 PM

wonder if the original posted still has the guitar 5 years later...
Old 01-26-2013, 11:46 PM

Default Good ol days?

Yard sales just aren't what they used to be.

And finding deals in Pawn Shops ended long ago, **** those internets!

Everyone I knew, who played guitar in the late 70's and all throughout the 80's, had at least one Pawn Shop or garage sale find which was noteworthy enough to still repeat today. We'd always stop, no matter what, at any yard sale, back then. It only takes a moment to jump out and ask "got any guitars?", and then be on your way.

And still, that magical deal has never happened for me. Woe is me!

Lately, with so many kids out there, anything worth having is gone quickly when you have billions of young players scouring the streets and stores for those vintage gems.

I revise my offer from earlier, if the op ends up reading this. I offer 6x your investment!

Also, you can keep the sister.
Old 08-12-2013, 01:42 PM

Default Alvarez 5055 Made 9/12/75

Quote:
Originally Posted by LesPaul1968 View Post
Yard sales just aren't what they used to be.

And finding deals in Pawn Shops ended long ago, **** those internets!

Everyone I knew, who played guitar in the late 70's and all throughout the 80's, had at least one Pawn Shop or garage sale find which was noteworthy enough to still repeat today. We'd always stop, no matter what, at any yard sale, back then. It only takes a moment to jump out and ask "got any guitars?", and then be on your way.

And still, that magical deal has never happened for me. Woe is me!

Lately, with so many kids out there, anything worth having is gone quickly when you have billions of young players scouring the streets and stores for those vintage gems.

I revise my offer from earlier, if the op ends up reading this. I offer 6x your investment!

Also, you can keep the sister.
I have one of these in 8++ condition with the adjustable bridge, what was your offer again?
Old 02-26-2014, 05:16 AM

You do?

Sorry for taking so long, I don't check this place regularly.

Do you still have it? Or is it gone?

Send me a PM, and we can negotiate. Would you be wanting cash only, or can I still use my sister as trade?
Old 01-26-2015, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LesPaul1968 View Post
You do?

Sorry for taking so long, I don't check this place regularly.

Do you still have it? Or is it gone?

Send me a PM, and we can negotiate. Would you be wanting cash only, or can I still use my sister as trade?
I sure do have it still.
Old 04-26-2022, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoob53 View Post
I sure do have it still.
Hi, I'm from El Salvador, I have a 1976 Alvarez guitar if you're interested. Excuse my English but I only speak Spanish. [email protected] is my email

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion