The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 11-04-2009, 09:52 PM

Default CFox SJ-X Hearlesberg Mfg. 1999

To all the knowledgable Folks out there and about - Need some advice

Thinking about selling/trading my CFox SJ-X, 1999, Indian Rosewood, not sure if NAPA or Sonoma series, although has Black ebony bindings on headstock, neck, ivroid bindings on instrument body, hearrringbone rosette, 22 fret, awesome bold sound stage,.

Just ran across a very unusual Guild, circa 1988/89 Songbird, now called S-4 CE HR, looks like mahogany sides and back, 1 piece mahogany neck, gold tuners, Chesterfield insigna with Guild Logo abalone inlay, 22 fret, single cutaway, bridge pickup - small almost parlor size instrument

Very cool instrument, and have never actually seen anything like it. Clearly well made, action similar to electric, 2 controils, not sure what they do as yet

So just wondering what anything would think about this as a straight up swap, or are the Charles Fox SJ-X, which start at $ 8,000 + bringing intrinsic value to the CFox logo and this instrument.

Son't know a thing about the Guild, but a very nice instrument.
Old 11-05-2009, 05:33 AM

I wouldn't do it. I have a CFox much like what you are describing, and it's one of the best acoustics I've ever run across. Very responsive, very nice to play and so sweet it almost puts you into a diabetic coma. It's a very high quality, handmade, boutiquey instrument.

On the other hand, I've played one of the Guilds, and although it's nice, it's more of a specialized guitar, mostly a stage guitar. And, if you're looking for a stage guitar, unless this one is exceptional, I think you can do better, CA comes to mind immediately. Heck, put a nice pickup in the CFox.

Monetarily, I would think you could sell the CFox and buy a couple of the Guilds (assuming you could find one, they are kind of rare). Sit back, relax, and have a cool drink until the trading fever goes away, you'll thank me later.
Old 11-05-2009, 03:03 PM

Default Guild Songbird is awesome

I totally agree with this trade. I saw a songbird for the first time a couple of years ago and i really wanted it because it was just so cool but decided not to. since then i have been looking for one and have fell short. they are super rare and i have only seen that one for sale, ive searched ebay frequently and have never seen one for sale. also, although the cfox is an outstanding guitar, and worth every bit of money you spent for it i am sure, it is very similar to a small jumbo Martin, which are pretty easy to come by, but the Guild is something very unique, and very cool, i would do the trade, i know that you might be losing a few hundred dollars, but you have the chance to own a truly one of a kind guitar that i think will only become more valuable. and as far as the cfox, i think it will also increase in value, and i think that it is a great guitar, just very similar to the small jumbo martins, and kind of looks like your average guitar, so i would take the Guild just because it is so different, and i do not think you will have the chance of ever seeing one again if you pass on this one.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion