The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 05-17-2016, 03:28 AM

Default Crossovers that are made to be played acoustically

Hi

I'm still flinging around ideas of a crossover for playing acoustically at home. I don't want to plug in and have notice that a lot of these crossovers are designed to be plugged in without prioritizing their acoustic tone/projection. I have been able to try the Alhambra crossovers and they were like this.

I would prefer a carbon fibre crossover, but they are expensive, before diving in to anything, are there any crossovers out there that are designed for being played acoustically, and which aren't going to annoy my wife when she sees the bank account? I see that the Breedlove gets a lot of attention for its price, about 570euros here. So is this best bet for its price range, acoustically?
I play: Acoustic blues & folk
Videos: https://www.youtube.com/user/sirwhale28/videos

Last edited by sirwhale; 05-17-2016 at 03:59 AM.
Old 05-17-2016, 05:34 AM

I've been quite happy with my Cervantes Paloescrito Crossover 1, with a cutaway. It didn't come with a pickup so I installed a K&K, not that I amplify it often.
Old 05-17-2016, 09:15 AM
Charter Member

Both of the Breedlove crossovers that I've owned (Master Class Bossa Nova and N250) sounded great acoustically. I don't own any Cordoba crossovers, but considering that I just purchased my 9th Cordoba nylon, I would have NO qualms about recommending you check them out. They are absolutely my favorite consumer-grade (ie... non-luthier-made) nylon-strung guitars.
Old 05-17-2016, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Label View Post
Both of the Breedlove crossovers that I've owned (Master Class Bossa Nova and N250) sounded great acoustically. I don't own any Cordoba crossovers, but considering that I just purchased my 9th Cordoba nylon, I would have NO qualms about recommending you check them out. They are absolutely my favorite consumer-grade (ie... non-luthier-made) nylon-strung guitars.
I'm curious to know if the N250 has a drier sound, more to the Flamenco's general percussive strengths than to the Spanish Classical's general richness. I have a Passport N200 CMP (6 year old model), which is very dry.
Old 05-17-2016, 12:54 PM

I love the sound out of my Cordoba GK Pro.

Originally, I had the Cordoba GK Studio Cypress, but it just didn't have the full sound that I wanted. I sold it and bought the GK Pro.

My Cordoba GK Pro has solid rosewood sides and back which gives it a great full unplugged sound. I play semi-classical pieces, jazz and some pop on it..

Dave
2011 Godin Jazz model archtop
Old 05-17-2016, 04:55 PM

Crossovers/hybrids.... bring back to the table the noise I don't like about steel strings...
After listening to a few youtube videos I decided to go all classical even tho I don't play classical... I love the tone I got from a GC demo Cordoba C-5CE,
I play mainly pop, rock and country..
Old 05-18-2016, 07:59 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bax Burgess View Post
I'm curious to know if the N250 has a drier sound, more to the Flamenco's general percussive strengths than to the Spanish Classical's general richness. I have a Passport N200 CMP (6 year old model), which is very dry.
Yup... you nailed it! The Bossa Nova was richer, deeper and more sustaining. The N250 was percussive, snappy and dry. Which worked for me because I bought it when I began writing and performing my own nuevo-flamenco type of songs. I've since moved over to Cordoba flamencos (and a C12 SP/IN classical). But the Breedlove is still around the man cave and still a great guitar.
Old 05-18-2016, 08:06 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkstott View Post
I love the sound out of my Cordoba GK Pro.

Originally, I had the Cordoba GK Studio Cypress, but it just didn't have the full sound that I wanted. I sold it and bought the GK Pro.

My Cordoba GK Pro has solid rosewood sides and back which gives it a great full unplugged sound. I play semi-classical pieces, jazz and some pop on it..

Dave
The GK Pro was the one that got away for me. I picked-up a GK Studio blanca, and then followed that up with a GK Pro blanca, FCWE, and 55FCE maple. I played those for a year or so, and the GK Pro was always my favorite. Then I started having some issues with my ulnar nerve in my right arm, so I decided to transition back to electric guitar music and sell off my Cordobas. I wanted to keep one of them, and I wanted the Pro to stick around. Some classical guitar student at the local college came to look and my guitars and of course he fell in-love with the GK Pro. So I eventually sold it to him (as well as the GK Studio). I ended-up keeping the FCWE.

Fast-forward several years later and I'm back into performing my stuff again, so I've added the 55FCE Ltd Ziricote, C12 SP/IN, and F10 (and a Mini R for whatever that's worth). I love all of these instruments, but I stilll miss my GK Pro. I've been mulling over getting one on the Musician's Friend 36-month, no-interest deal for a while now. But geez... how many do I need??? Plus, I just picked-up a $3K Trek mountain bike, that one of my Tom Anderson electrics is being sold to finance. So I dunno if I have the stomach to get the GK Pro now. But it's going to continue to haunt me until I do...

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical