The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 05-03-2016, 08:24 AM
Charter Member

Default Cordoba Mini on the way...

I've looked at these online for a while, but stopped-in at a music store yesterday and they had a Mini there. I was struck by the full size neck width. I've currently got a Cordoba Guilele (cutaway with electronics), but the neck is quite a bit smaller on that. Anyways... I decided to order a Mini from Sweetwater this morning (would have bought the one at the store, but I was 140 miles from home on my motorcycle, and I wanted the rosewood one -- which they didn't have). This will be my eighth Cordoba nylon-strung instrument. I gig several of them regularly. I should be an endorser!

I'm flying to Vegas for a week in June, so the Mini should be the perfect travel companion. I also plan to take it camping this summer.
Old 05-03-2016, 08:53 AM

The Mini is a nice improvement over the Cordoba guilele. I use mine for travel and when I attend uke jams. I'm a guitar player, I want/need those two lower strings. BTW, the Aquila E tuning strings that are made for it work/sound nice.
http://www.elderly.com/cordoba-mini-...set-112038.htm
Have been finger-pickin' guitar since 1973!
Love my mountain dulcimers too! (7 Mountain Dulcimers)

Old 05-03-2016, 10:44 AM

I like the mini all except the string spacing at the bridge. If the string spacing at the bridge were closer to my classical guitar I would have kept it but it was much wider.
Old 05-03-2016, 01:46 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gobes View Post
I like the mini all except the string spacing at the bridge. If the string spacing at the bridge were closer to my classical guitar I would have kept it but it was much wider.
Interesting. I wonder how that spacing will feel to me. I have small hands, but the full-size Cordoba flamencos and classical that I currently have all feel perfect.
Old 05-03-2016, 01:48 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by frets4fun View Post
The Mini is a nice improvement over the Cordoba guilele. I use mine for travel and when I attend uke jams. I'm a guitar player, I want/need those two lower strings. BTW, the Aquila E tuning strings that are made for it work/sound nice.
Yeah, the Guilele is a neat little instrument, but has intonation issues here and there. It's worlds better sounding, playing, and looking than my Yamaha Guitalele though.
Old 05-09-2016, 10:18 PM
Charter Member

I bought the Mahogany Mini 2 days ago after playing it at a local shop. I love it. The neck makes it feel like a full sized guitar. My only complaint is how expensive the strings are from Cordoba.
Old 05-10-2016, 04:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flipguitar_pro View Post
I bought the Mahogany Mini 2 days ago after playing it at a local shop. I love it. The neck makes it feel like a full sized guitar. My only complaint is how expensive the strings are from Cordoba.
Strings are a lot cheaper through Elderly.
http://www.elderly.com/cordoba-mini-string-set.htm

Old 05-10-2016, 06:59 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Excellent info. I was going to look for these. Thanks! Just ordered 4 sets of the A strings and 2 sets of the E strings. Wanted to get the free shipping, so I ordered over $50 worth. I have a Cordoba Guilele and Yamaha Guitalele that I can use these strings for if need be. I was surprised that even at Musician's Friend, these strings are twice as much as at Elderly. Guess I need to shop Elderly more often!

Btw...got my Mini R last Friday and totally dig it! I did shave the saddle and nut down a bit though. The saddle height I could have lived with, but the nut was too high and that made it hard to chord low on the neck. After I shaved it, I realized why they'd had it set so high. The first fret on the low-A side was high. There was a gap between the fret and the fretboard there that I could slide a piece of paper under. I tapped on it for a bit and was able to get it to seat better to where the paper wouldn't slide under it. That seemed to take care of my issue. The instrument plays much easier now. And it sounds great.

BTW... I ordered a used 2013 Cordoba F10 flamenco from an ebay dealer yesterday. That will be my ninth Cordoba. I will post-up a review thread on it after it arrives.

Last edited by Red_Label; 05-10-2016 at 07:13 AM.
Old 05-11-2016, 08:54 AM

Glad to hear you like your new Mini. Elderly is my FLGS, and I've been going there since 1974. It really is a cool place and a great business to deal with.

Old 05-11-2016, 10:28 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Glad to hear you like your new Mini. Elderly is my FLGS, and I've been going there since 1974. It really is a cool place and a great business to deal with.
Nice. My dad always used to get their catalogs. But for whatever reason, they are hardly ever on my radar. But they will be now. I was checking their prices on D'Addario nylon string sets and they had great prices. I was wishing I'd added a bunch of those to my Mini string set order before I placed it (to get the free shipping). So I'll end-up doing another string order from them before long. I always used to order my strings from Musician's Friend. But I intend to try to get them at Elderly from now on.
Old 05-11-2016, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Label View Post
Nice. My dad always used to get their catalogs. But for whatever reason, they are hardly ever on my radar. But they will be now. I was checking their prices on D'Addario nylon string sets and they had great prices. I was wishing I'd added a bunch of those to my Mini string set order before I placed it (to get the free shipping). So I'll end-up doing another string order from them before long. I always used to order my strings from Musician's Friend. But I intend to try to get them at Elderly from now on.
I was there last week and got to try out the Cordoba Mini in ovangkol. Not a huge difference between the various Mini flavors in terms of sound, but it was pretty. I guess they are inexpensive enough, one could have one of each. I think the spruce/RW is a bit louder though.

Old 05-11-2016, 01:43 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I was there last week and got to try out the Cordoba Mini in ovangkol. Not a huge difference between the various Mini flavors in terms of sound, but it was pretty. I guess they are inexpensive enough, one could have one of each. I think the spruce/RW is a bit louder though.
I looked at the new Mini with the cutaway and electronics and really wanted one (though they're not available yet I don't think). But it is only offered in ovangkol. I've always been a sucker for a spruce top and rosewood back/sides. When they eventually offer a rosewood Mini cutaway... I may pick up one of those. Or better yet... I'll just throw a K&K pickup in my existing Mini and roll that way instead.
Old 05-12-2016, 06:22 AM

I've admired them when I have seen them in stores...

But my Vagabond travel guitar still suits me fine for vacations. The body is a bit small, but the neck is standard size and tuning.

https://www.stringsmith.com/vagabond.html
Old 05-19-2016, 08:06 AM

I have the Ovangkol Mini and love it. I usually keep it tuned to G instead of A.

Haven't tried the E strings yet - I'll probably just put on a standard Hard Tension set eventually and try them out in E. (the cheapie Martin ball end set).

One thing I really like about it is how good it sounds when played with a pick...didn't think it would but it does.
Cordoba Mini-O; GK Studio; C9 Crossover Spruce; Fusion 14 Maple; Cadete
Old 05-19-2016, 09:31 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mapleleaf View Post
I have the Ovangkol Mini and love it. I usually keep it tuned to G instead of A.

Haven't tried the E strings yet - I'll probably just put on a standard Hard Tension set eventually and try them out in E. (the cheapie Martin ball end set).

One thing I really like about it is how good it sounds when played with a pick...didn't think it would but it does.
Totally agree. I play mine fingerstyle and flatpicked and it sounds great either way.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical