The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 05-16-2016, 08:17 AM

Question Identical flageolet notes

Hi everyone,

Wondering why everybody plays the flageolet on 19th fret instead of the more convenient 7th fret.

William Walton Bagatelle No 3
Old 05-16-2016, 08:59 AM
Charter Member

I'm guessing it is primarily for tonal color purposes. They are the same note, but don't quite sound the same, because of string length. The harmonic at the 19th to my ears is a little more staccato like, a bit more percussive, which fits better with the overall phrasing and tonal goal of the passage imo.
Plus, it's a natural extension of the RH fingering, at least the way she does it. Seems smooth, and just as easy to execute, leaving the LH alone to take care of the fretted notes.
(Incidentally, it's the first time I hear the word "flageolet" used to describe harmonics on the guitar. My ignorance I guess. )

Golf is pretty simple. It's just not that easy.
- Paul Azinger

"It ain’t what you don’t know that gets you into trouble. It’s what you know for sure that just ain’t so."
– Mark Twain

http://www.youtube.com/user/Gitfiddlemann
Old 05-16-2016, 11:45 AM

Being a recorder player, when I see the word "flageolet" I think of an actual flageolet. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flageolet

cotten
Old 05-16-2016, 12:15 PM
Charter Member

The 19th fret is right there for both the right and left hands (economy of motion, and one can even maintain legato on some other notes if indicated). Most fingering is worked out to minimize chances of making playing errors, although, as Andre pointed out, tonal considerations also play a role.

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Tags
flageon