The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 03-30-2015, 09:59 AM

Default New Cordoba

Hi folks. Just got me a new cordoba C5 the other day, and I love it. But the fingertips are a little sore from playing non-stop.

I'm a bit surprised that nylon strings would hurt more than steel strings. I thought it'd be the other way around. The guitar sounds beautiful, so I don't want to mess with the truss rod or sand the saddle.

I think the guitar came with high tension strings. Would going to normal tension ease up on the soreness a little. Again, it's not really THAT bad, they just feel a little numb/dull, not a sharp, cutting pain like sometimes w/ steel strings, so I'm just looking for something that would help, not solve the problem. Thanks/
Old 03-30-2015, 10:13 AM

you could switch to lighter tension strings. different manufacturers have different ideas about what makes a string normal or high tension.

you could get a second saddle and file it down.

you could drop the tuning a bit. i might try this first.

you could take it to a tech to check it out. it might be a little high at the nut.

have fun!
Old 03-30-2015, 03:17 PM

Tune down for a bit like mc1 says. I just got a new Alhambra that came with extra high tension strings on, I tuned to drop D for a few days, then Eb now back up to standard tuning and they no longer feel stiff. Could be that the guitar and strings have relaxed a hit too.
Old 03-30-2015, 05:56 PM

Get it to a tech. Action at the nut usually is a little high on the Cordobas. A switch to normal tension strings isn't a bad recommendation.
Yamaha FSX-5
Yamaha LS-TA
Yamaha CG-TA
Epiphone EJ-200SCE
Breedlove Wildwood Organic Concert
Hohner Essential Roots SOSB
Epiphone Houndog Roundneck
Dobro Model 29
Taylor 214ce-N
Cordoba C9 Spruce
1972 Pablo De La Cruz Classical
? Eusebio Huipe Cedar/PE Flamenco
Godin Multiac Duet Ambiance
Cordoba Stage
Old 03-30-2015, 06:45 PM
Charter Member

Default New Cordoba

Congrats on your new guitar. I had a C5 for time but sold it. I now have C9 Parlor 7/8 which I love. I also keep a C3M (a satin finish version of the C5) at my moms house.
Old 03-30-2015, 07:28 PM

stop trying to bend the strings like a regular steel string
Old 03-31-2015, 05:27 AM

The Savarez Alliance strings that came on my Cordoba Fusion sound and feel great. Maybe you just need a set up or have been playing too long when you first got it, I can understand, they do sound good. Go to their web site Cordoba.com and see what they recommend on that model.
Old 03-31-2015, 03:57 PM

If the strings were high tension on a full sized guitar I personally would change them to normal tension. But I don't think they normally put high tension on that model- could be wrong- don't know, are you sure? I don't have nails that are a very good bite, and so I don't like a lot of tension while my fingers "gum" the strings otherwise

Cordobas are sorta known for high action but that wouldn't be affecting right hand

I typically lower the action on almost everything- if you like the height them fine- I usually will turn the truss rod as far as it will go easily - the first time that is usually a half or 3/4 turn-

Then I start cutting down the nylon bridge piece from there- generally grinding the bottom with a grinding drill bit

and/or filing the bottom even then on a flat file

The truss rod nut also tends to settle in , and can be more easily turned more with time- I never like to pressure the nut much- a half turn can make a lot of difference, and you may be able to do it again just as easily a year later
Old 04-01-2015, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueser100 View Post
I now have C9 Parlor 7/8 which I love.
Me too! What an excellent guitar it is. The slightly reduced dimensions make a big difference in playability.

Anyway, Cordoba is very much leading the way, I think, with good quality, affordable classical and nylon string guitars. It was a market that was waiting for someone to step in, and Cordoba have established a really strong foothold. I don't think anyone else comes close to them for quality, price and variety.
Old 04-02-2015, 11:36 AM

Well I solved the problem. The action was too high. I sanded the saddle a bit, tightened up the truss rod just a hair, and now no more sore fingers. Sweet guitar.
Old 04-05-2015, 03:06 PM

Congrats!!!!. I have a Cordoba C5ce,worth every penny paid. Enjoy yours!.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical