The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 01-15-2018, 08:57 AM

Park the Polaris until it warms up. No money out of pocket.

My music: https://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

2020 Taylor 324ceBE
2017 Taylor 114ce-N
2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e
73(?) Epiphone 6830E 6 string

72 Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone

Kala baritone ukulele
Seagull 'Merlin'
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e ukulele
antique banjolin
Squire J bass
Old 01-15-2018, 09:18 AM

https://www.amazon.com/SKYDEERE-Cycl...d=1&pldnSite=1
Old 01-15-2018, 09:25 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cotten View Post
I just need some great, relatively inexpensive cold weather gloves.
So that is my question.
cotten
I got these LL Bean ragg wool gloves back in Nov. last year, and they have been great. And much warmer than I had expected. (Only $29.95, and free shipping.)
LL Bean Ragg Wool Gloves

Note: They are thick though, so, if you were planning to do any activity requiring fine finger work, these would not be good. But for shoveling, walking, just being outside in cold weather, it's hard to beat them.
Not as warm as my Alpaca mittens. Those are for the sub-zero/single digit stuff, but anything in the teens and the gloves come on.
Generally speaking about keeping fingers warm in really cold weather, the best imo is a 2 layer approach: A pair of lightweight merino wool gloves under a pair of natural wool mittens, like lamb or alpaca.
And if you have to forego one, going with mittens only will be the warmest.

Golf is pretty simple. It's just not that easy.
- Paul Azinger

"It ain’t what you don’t know that gets you into trouble. It’s what you know for sure that just ain’t so."
– Mark Twain

http://www.youtube.com/user/Gitfiddlemann
Old 01-15-2018, 09:47 AM

OR (Outdoor Research) has a lot of gloves and mittens with superb design. I got the Highcamp model to replace some ancient finally worn out Patagonia Gauntlet model that my wife and I think are the best golves ever.

The Highcamp are really nice via the way the liner glove and leash work together along with both inner and outer golves working with touch screens.

These are not bargain but not ridiculous in price. They've become my winter go to bike glove in addition to skiing and general cold outside use. After my wife and I got a pair we felt foolish for the period we were cheapskates between those old Patagonia gloves and these. Lesser and discount stuff was just no way in the same league.
Old 01-15-2018, 10:17 AM

Quote:
I have been here a while, so I suspected I would receive a number of replies indicating that I am asking the wrong question, but thought it was worth a shot. Thanks, David! Can anyone else offer a suggestion for some great, relatively inexpensive cold weather gloves? I already knew that in some opinions, I bought the wrong vehicle, too. Don't care. I'm loving this thing! I just need some great, relatively inexpensive cold weather gloves.
So that is my question.

What is a Slingshot? Maybe this will help, though not the model I own:
https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q...E&&FORM=VDRVRV

cotten
I’m sorry Cotten...I didn’t appreciate that you wanted a very specific answer to a very specific question.

I only have experience with gloves that either haven’t kept my hands very warm, or gloves that are good, but pricey. Or effective (and cheap) mittens.

Also, when I was riding motorcycles, I mashed my hands a couple of times as I moved through tight spaces, and got some nasty road rash when I took some spills. Thought I might save you some discomfort. Oh, well.

Good luck with your search.
Old 01-15-2018, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreF View Post
...Generally speaking about keeping fingers warm in really cold weather, the best imo is a 2 layer approach: A pair of lightweight merino wool gloves under a pair of natural wool mittens, like lamb or alpaca.
And if you have to forego one, going with mittens only will be the warmest.
I agree....I use merino wool glove liners from REI ($25) under mittens. This works well and doesn't cost very much.

https://www.rei.com/product/102903/r...l-liner-gloves
Old 01-15-2018, 10:31 AM

Quote:
I have thoroughly been enjoying my little street legal go cart, a Polaris Slingshot. That is, until the temperatures dropped. With the clothes I already had, I have learned to layer up on everything but my hands. When the thermometer says 38 F., with a 70% Relative Humidity, even a slow ride can have my fingers freezing in no time.
cotten
Quote:
I have been here a while, so I suspected I would receive a number of replies indicating that I am asking the wrong question, but thought it was worth a shot. Thanks, David! Can anyone else offer a suggestion for some great, relatively inexpensive cold weather gloves? I already knew that in some opinions, I bought the wrong vehicle, too. Don't care. I'm loving this thing! I just need [I]some great, relatively inexpensive cold weather gloves.
Part of the problem is that your locale is listed as Georgia. You have no idea what cold is. For a balmy 38F regardless the humidity simply ANY cheap old glove would work to keep hands warm for those of us where the night temps have been double digit below 0 F since Christmas and the daytime temps single digit above 0 and on balmy days in the teens. I suspect this disparity and differences in perspective might be part of the disconnect in the replies.
Old 01-15-2018, 10:37 AM

For less than $250 you can get heated gloves. There are a couple of companies that make them for motorcyclists. I don't have the gloves, but I have a heated vest (and love it) and you can get heated riding pants as well. There are even battery operated types of heated clothing. Just Google heated clothing, heated gloves, etc. In a slingshot you should be able to plug into a 12 volt outlet if you don't like the battery operated style.
Old 01-15-2018, 12:28 PM

Quote:
I have been here a while, so I suspected I would receive a number of replies indicating that I am asking the wrong question, but thought it was worth a shot. Thanks, David! Can anyone else offer a suggestion for some great, relatively inexpensive cold weather gloves? I already knew that in some opinions, I bought the wrong vehicle, too. Don't care. I'm loving this thing! I just need some great, relatively inexpensive cold weather gloves.
So that is my question.

cotten
No one suggested (at all) that you bought the wrong vehicle. Not a single person said that.

Celtic harps: 1994 Triplett Excelle, 1998 Triplett Avalon (the first ever made - Steve Triplett's personal prototype)
Old 01-15-2018, 12:34 PM
Charter Member

Cotten,

Your thread inpired me to look again. They don't make the kind of mitten I want anymore but you might find a good winter riding glove here

https://shop.olympiagloves.com/colle...orcycle-gloves

Taylor GC7, GA3-12, SB2-C, SB2-Cp...... Ibanez AVC-11MHx , AC-240
Old 01-15-2018, 01:40 PM

I ride a motorcycle almost year round (as long as there's no snow or ice). I have a pair of Gerbings electric gloves and a matching jacket. It plugs into your bike's electrical system. I've been toasty warm down to zero degrees F. Even in the 30's the wind chill you get from the bike's speed can cause serious frostbite pretty quickly. A good pair of gloves and other appropriate clothing is a cheap investment in keeping your fingers.

Guitars:

1910's Larson/Stetson 1 size guitar
1920 Martin 1-28
1987 Martin Schoenberg Soloist
2006 Froggy Bottom H-12 Deluxe
2016 Froggy Bottom L Deluxe
2021 Blazer and Henkes 000-18 H
2015 Rainsong P12
2017 Probett Rocket III
2006 Sadowsky Semi Hollow
1993 Fender Stratocaster

Bass: 1993 Sadowsky NYC 5 String
Mandolin: Weber Bitterroot
Old 01-15-2018, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nailpicker View Post
Part of the problem is that your locale is listed as Georgia. You have no idea what cold is. For a balmy 38F regardless the humidity simply ANY cheap old glove would work to keep hands warm for those of us where the night temps have been double digit below 0 F since Christmas and the daytime temps single digit above 0 and on balmy days in the teens. I suspect this disparity and differences in perspective might be part of the disconnect in the replies.
It's all about what you're used to. When it's Christmas & I go to visit relatives who live in Florida, if the temp slumps to say 45 they put on their down jackets before venturing outside. I don't say anything (just the fact that they own down jackets is weird, but hey ...).

Mind you, they're in north Florida, brrrr ....

Anyway, here, try these, OP:

https://www.sportsmansguide.com/prod...tm_campaign=CI
Old 01-15-2018, 02:49 PM
Charter Member

I’m not sure if this will be helpful, but I’ve had good luck wit gloves from Outdoor Research.

These Gripper Sensor gloves for $55
https://www.outdoorresearch.com/us/e.../2448830621007

And these Ansel Work gloves for $65.
https://www.outdoorresearch.com/us/e.../2539531160007

I got both on sale for less.
Old 01-15-2018, 04:31 PM

From a lifetime of skiing, if this has to be gloves, then they need to be Leather. Some of the Gortex gloves are good but you need to know the brand to know the level of quality in the build. Look for water proof on the tags, this indicates that there is a membrane inside that will also keep out water. Good gloves have a cuff with a draw string that goes over your coat. Unfortunately, these will have a premium price.

To lower the price you can get a less expensive set of gloves (still water proof with a sinching cuff) and you will see some that have a little zipper and pouch on the back of the hand. This pouch holds the little chemical hand warmer packs to help you keep your fingers toasty. These little packs can also be inserted into any glove, the pouch is just a little more elegant.

Go to a good ski/snowboarding store to see what they have. A place that sells snowmobiles is another. Usually the snowboarding gloves are more waterproof due to the fact you have your hands in the snow more then skiers. I also endorse not skimping on the quality of your gloves, never a bad investment.

2018 Michaud OO-R
2012 Webber Dreadnaught *SOLD*
2010 Eastman E20OM
1994 Guild D30
1979 Yamaha FG375S (retired)
1974 Norman B30 (retired)
Old 01-15-2018, 05:17 PM

I spent all day yesterday splitting wood in sub 20 F temperatures wearing my Kinco gloves (retails less than $30) and felt great.

https://www.kinco.com/product-category/heatkeep

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic