The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 12-19-2016, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redir View Post
I am not seeing a pic here???
I see it just fine in your quote.
Old 12-19-2016, 06:22 PM

Steve, impressive amps that you built! Do you buy the kits? I'm assuming they're clones? If so, of what?

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevo58 View Post
Here are (most) of mine. Except for the Acus, I built them all. Missing are a tweed Pro (which I use most of the time) and a 2x12 cab loaded with Blues. Other than the Pro, I most often use the single-channel DR (blonde/oxblood, behind the blond/wheat Twin head).

steven
Old 12-20-2016, 01:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
Steve, impressive amps that you built! Do you buy the kits? I'm assuming they're clones? If so, of what?
Hi Dru - thanks, no, none are kits. I choose my own components, usually drill my own chassis, build my own cabinets. Some are clones, some not.

Front row, left: tweed Deluxe. This is pretty much a clone.
next is a Hoffman AB763 Twin head, with bias-vary tremolo and reverb on both channels. Normal channel has a James tone stack; various tweaks.
Back row, left: 2x12 cab (Jensen Jet Blackbirds). The green head on top is a 5f6A with master and tweaks. On top of that is an AC30 top boost.
Behind the twin is a a Hoffman AB763 single-channel Deluxe Reverb (with tweaks). On top of that is a Revibe (Fender standalone reverb + brown-era "harmonic vibrato"). Next the Acus. On top of that is a Vibro Champ with added reverb, footswitchable "raw" control and some other tweaks. The grills are a temporary solution; I have to do some more woodwork. The black amp to the right is a Marshall 18-watter, it is the oldest amp in the picture. In the corner is a pine box housing a tweed Harvard built with sub-miniature tubes.

The only close-to-100% clones are the tweed Deluxe and the tweed Pro (not in this photo). Both were originally built with tweaks and then at some point torn down and rebuilt to the stock circuit.

I've built about 30 amps. The last two were for harmonica players, one in Minnesota, one in Grenoble. The Grenoble build is well-documented -> https://www.facebook.com/pg/Husting-...56194121109605

steve
Old 12-20-2016, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Scott View Post
I see it just fine in your quote.
Crazy!!! I still don't see it lol.

EDIT: I think I see the problem. My guess is that you are a member of that site and logged in so you are seeing it fine but when I visit this link: http://www.rickresource.com/forum/do...e.php?id=47486 I get this page:

Information

You are not authorised to download this attachment.

Of course if others in this thread see the pic then it's something on my end.

And anyway there is one of those on my local Craigs List right now tempting me

Last edited by redir; 12-20-2016 at 11:17 AM.
Old 12-20-2016, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Hi Dru - thanks, no, none are kits. I choose my own components, usually drill my own chassis, build my own cabinets. Some are clones, some not.

next is a Hoffman AB763 Twin head, with bias-vary tremolo and reverb on both channels. Normal channel has a James tone stack; various tweaks.
Back row, left: 2x12 cab (Jensen Jet Blackbirds). The green head on top is a 5f6A with master and tweaks. On top of that is an AC30 top boost.
Behind the twin is a a Hoffman AB763 single-channel Deluxe Reverb (with tweaks). On top of that is a Revibe (Fender standalone reverb + brown-era "harmonic vibrato"). Next the Acus. On top of that is a Vibro Champ with added reverb, footswitchable "raw" control and some other tweaks. The grills are a temporary solution; I have to do some more woodwork. The black amp to the right is a Marshall 18-watter, it is the oldest amp in the picture. In the corner is a pine box housing a tweed Harvard built with sub-miniature tubes.

The only close-to-100% clones are the tweed Deluxe and the tweed Pro (not in this photo). Both were originally built with tweaks and then at some point torn down and rebuilt to the stock circuit.

I've built about 30 amps. The last two were for harmonica players, one in Minnesota, one in Grenoble. The Grenoble build is well-documented -> https://www.facebook.com/pg/Husting-...56194121109605

steve
Gosh. I'm proud of myself if I track down a cold solder in an old blackface amp and fix it. WOW. Wish I had your motivation and skills. Would love to hear all of them.'
Old 12-20-2016, 02:52 PM

Yeah those are sweet stevo!!!
Old 12-20-2016, 04:53 PM

Quote:

steve
That's super impressive from one Steve (Stephen) to another!
Old 12-20-2016, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redir View Post
Crazy!!! I still don't see it lol.
E-mail sent!
Old 12-21-2016, 09:49 AM

Wow! That's impressive. I was reading through your list wondering where's the Marshall 18 watter but there it is on the right. What's next on your list to build?

Quote:

steve
Old 12-21-2016, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
Wow! That's impressive. I was reading through your list wondering where's the Marshall 18 watter but there it is on the right. What's next on your list to build?
I'm pretty much set for amps. I'll be tearing down the Marshall and completely rebuilding it as a head one of these days. Not a high priority because I never use that amp. If I built another for myself, it would be the preamp from the vibro-champ reverb I built matched to a cathode biased 2x6L6 output. Or a single-channel, harmonic vibrato brown Fender with reverb. Or something old school, like an EH-150, or something goofy, like a 4x6AQ5 power stage. But I just use the Pro or DR most of the time. I'd also like to do something with 807s and voltage regulator tubes, but I don't know what. That's probably more a stereo amp. I've got boxes full of goofy tubes that would be fun to use, but I really have enough amps. Every now and then a friend asks me to build something. That's how the harmonica amps came about. One is a 5f6a preamp, with reverb, matched to a 5E5 (not A) output stage, and a 1-12/1-8" speaker combination. The other is a non-tremolo Princeton. That one was hard to let go.

I am building a bass preamp for my son, with Alembic F2B and Ampeg B15 channels. That will have a balanced low-impedance output so he can go into any modern power amp for however much power he wants. That's still in the planning stage.

steven
Old 12-22-2016, 03:49 PM

I just ordered the kit for my next build from Mojotone - the 5F6-A Bassman. The amp I've wanted since I really got into playing seriously. I'll start a build thread when I have everything in hand in a month or two.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Acoustics
2013 Guild F30 Standard
2012 Yamaha LL16
2007 Seagull S12
1991 Yairi DY 50

Electrics
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Fender Am. Standard Telecaster
Gibson ES-335
Gibson Firebird
Old 12-22-2016, 04:13 PM

Guild F-2512 Deluxe CE
Ibanez Acoustic Bass 12 M1
Martin 12 string X Series
Harley Benton Telecaster
EVH Wolfgang

Formerly known as Martin Maniac.....

M
Old 12-23-2016, 10:37 AM

Quote:
I'm pretty much set for amps. I'll be tearing down the Marshall and completely rebuilding it as a head one of these days. Not a high priority because I never use that amp. If I built another for myself, it would be the preamp from the vibro-champ reverb I built matched to a cathode biased 2x6L6 output. Or a single-channel, harmonic vibrato brown Fender with reverb. Or something old school, like an EH-150, or something goofy, like a 4x6AQ5 power stage. But I just use the Pro or DR most of the time. I'd also like to do something with 807s and voltage regulator tubes, but I don't know what. That's probably more a stereo amp. I've got boxes full of goofy tubes that would be fun to use, but I really have enough amps. Every now and then a friend asks me to build something. That's how the harmonica amps came about. One is a 5f6a preamp, with reverb, matched to a 5E5 (not A) output stage, and a 1-12/1-8" speaker combination. The other is a non-tremolo Princeton. That one was hard to let go.

I am building a bass preamp for my son, with Alembic F2B and Ampeg B15 channels. That will have a balanced low-impedance output so he can go into any modern power amp for however much power he wants. That's still in the planning stage.

steven
Good luck with the bass preamp, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by clintj View Post
I just ordered the kit for my next build from Mojotone - the 5F6-A Bassman. The amp I've wanted since I really got into playing seriously. I'll start a build thread when I have everything in hand in a month or two.

Sweet! Looking forward to that thread. I learned some stuff from your previous build thread a couple of years ago.
Old 12-23-2016, 07:59 PM

My build might be a bit sooner. Got the tracking email for my kit today. First time I haven't had to wait a month or so for the cab to be built. My work schedule is really full until next month, though.

Acoustics
2013 Guild F30 Standard
2012 Yamaha LL16
2007 Seagull S12
1991 Yairi DY 50

Electrics
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Fender Am. Standard Telecaster
Gibson ES-335
Gibson Firebird
Old 12-24-2016, 03:42 AM

Default Amps! (Electric Guitar)

Hi Dru, I'm coming to this one quite late but here goes.

When I moved to Sweden I took with me my trusty Marshall Valvestate, the stereo chorus version I'd had and toured with for some years. The thing is it's actually a bit thin with single coil pickups and I really wanted an all tube with warmer character. A friend of mine builds and services guitars and amps and mentioned he had an old amp as a repair project that the previous owner had willingly abandoned (i.e. He couldn't afford to pay for the work so he told my friend to keep it).

The amp is a Duncan Tube 84-40. For a very good price he finished the work, converted it to run at around 16 watts instead of 40w and did some rewiring etc so that it ran more efficiently. It is old so it isn't really going to stand up to the rigours of touring but for my needs now it is a super amp. The clean channel is gorgeous and the boost channel can give me bluesy overdrive or rock distortion. The spring reverb is quite decent too and the fx loop is parallel which means I can use the send as a direct out (and with a bit of eq at the desk post DI box it sounds pretty darn good that way too).

A couple of years ago I had the opportunity to buy a Vox AC4tv for silly money (800 crowns Swedish, roughly $100 US). That is my go to amp for the moment as I live in an apartment now so anything more powerful has to wait for actual gigs or rehearsals! The Vox has an amazing tone though it has a fairly significant low frequency hum. I gather this is fairly normal but it would be good to try and find a mod for it to try and filter out the hum or shield the area that is causing it.

One day I would love to have a good Deluxe Reverb. We have one at work though so I get to use that from time to time!

Some of the jobs I get are at the local church where even the little amp can be a bit much so I am awaiting delivery of a Radial JDX amp simulator. I've used the JDX amp DI so I am confident that is going to be a great asset.

Pieter

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Gibson ES-335 Studio 2016; Furch OM34sr 2015; Fender MiJ Geddy Lee Jazz bass, 2009; Taylor 414CE 2005; Guild D35 NT 1976; Fender MIM Classic 60s Tele 2008; Fender US Standard Strat 1992; G&L ASAT classic hollowbody 2005; Ibanez RG350MDX 2010(?); Ibanez Musician fretless, 1980s; Seymour Duncan Tube 84-40; Vox AC4TV;

Ex-pat Brit in Sweden

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars