The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 11-01-2013, 06:46 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonfields45 View Post
How does the T5 Classic's amplified acoustic tones compare to a spruce topped T5.
I have no idea whether it's different enough to be heard plugged in with the amp compromising it in whatever way any amp will do. Unplugged, I feel the ovankol is warmer, but that just makes it a little more pleasing when you practice unplugged.

Old 11-03-2013, 03:46 PM

I wish I had a chance to play the ovangkol model. Taylor didn't have clips of it on their sound page. I didn't think it was the best idea for them to remove those clips since they really showcased what the T5 can do.

I don't have any real complaints on how my koa top sounds unplugged. Good enough for casual practice. The solid center block of the T3 makes it heavier and much quieter unplugged.

Lately I have been favoring the pickups in parallel with bass boosted, treb cut, and volume backed off a bit.

With the T3, I have been using the neck humbucker with the tone knob up and totally rolled off. Somehow it gets an acoustic-ish sound when using both pickups split.
Old 11-05-2013, 04:26 PM

Since you've had so many T5's I have this question; did you ever have an intonation problem with the low E or A strings when using a capo. I'm used to playing acoustically although I have 3 electrics, I usually will use an acoustic when I play out at open mics for fun. Some songs are just easier for me to play using a capo than converting to open neck keys. The capo, indeed just fretting up on the neck above the 3rd fret, is giving me too sharp of pitch. Will going to .11 to .50 or slightly heavier acoustic strings solve the problem or do I just need to make sure I have those two strings tuned slightly flat to compensate? I did put a wound G string on it without any intonation problems what so ever. The neck is perfect although the action on the E and A strings is higher than I would prefer and has to be contributing to the sharp pitch of notes.
Old 11-05-2013, 06:08 PM
Charter Member

I never had a problem, but then I'm just a hobby player who plays at home. Playing and singing for fun, I probably wouldn't notice something if it was just barely out.

Old 11-06-2013, 01:15 PM

I don't have that problem on mine. I tend to retune when I use a capo since frets aren't 100% perfect pitch and the pressure might not be the exact same.
Old 11-06-2013, 01:18 PM

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Taylor-T...45c3e5f4014274

In other news...
Old 11-06-2013, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by s2y View Post
I don't have that problem on mine. I tend to retune when I use a capo since frets aren't 100% perfect pitch and the pressure might not be the exact same.
Are you using an adjustable tension capo? If not, check one out. I don't have to retune since I started using them exclusively. I use Planet Waves triple action, but G7 and Shubb are similar.
Old 11-06-2013, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pietro View Post
Are you using an adjustable tension capo? If not, check one out. I don't have to retune since I started using them exclusively. I use Planet Waves triple action, but G7 and Shubb are similar.
I was talking about the frets themselves being imperfect. It's not like I need to be able to make capo changes on the fly. I'd rather just tune it a bit and call it good.
Old 11-07-2013, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by s2y View Post

My only gripes are wanting a few more frets and that the body sometimes seems excessively big.

Wow, seems like Bob Taylor read this post when he made the T5z, are you gassing on one?

Quote:
Originally Posted by stratokatsu View Post
I have no idea whether it's different enough to be heard plugged in with the amp compromising it in whatever way any amp will do. Unplugged, I feel the ovankol is warmer, but that just makes it a little more pleasing when you practice unplugged.

Where do you think the maple "unplugged sound" would fit in this rank?
Living in a small appartment and being a latenight player, I use my t5 unplugged a lot, and I really like it because it`s quite more silent if you play it softly than a fulll bodied accoustic.
Old 11-07-2013, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeah View Post
Wow, seems like Bob Taylor read this post when he made the T5z, are you gassing on one?

Where do you think the maple "unplugged sound" would fit in this rank?
Living in a small appartment and being a latenight player, I use my t5 unplugged a lot, and I really like it because it`s quite more silent if you play it softly than a fulll bodied accoustic.
I probably would have bought one if I had the option. I'd still have the issue with my T3. I'm content with my T5 and T3/B. If Bob added a 22nd fret, I'd have to think about it.

Part of me wonders if the unplugged volume might be less with the smaller body. The current model has enough unplugged volume to be useful with low volume practice.
Old 11-07-2013, 01:26 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eatswodo View Post
Completely agree. This internet thing has exposed some remarkably disagreeable people.

I disagree!!!!!

Love the look of these. Loved the sound of my SB. Couldn't get comfy with the neck. That surprised me because I happen to love the feel of the Taylor acoustic neck. I realize they don't necessarily have to be the same shape and feel, but I was till surprised. Build quality of my SB was on a par with any other top production brand. I bet the T's are equally as well put together.

2013 Joel Stehr Dreadnought - Carpathian/Malaysian BW
2014 RainSong H-OM1000N2
2017 Rainsong BI-WS1000N2
2013 Chris Ensor Concert - Port Orford Cedar/Wenge
1980ish Takamine EF363 complete with irreplaceable memories
A bunch of electrics (too many!!)
Old 01-11-2014, 01:55 PM

Several here stated that the T5s are "quirky." I'm wondering what they mean by that? I'm planning on doing a special order on a new "Pro" level next week or the next (depending upon when I can get un-snowbound from my house.)

Re T3s: I really wanted one. Tested several and felt they were a very good guitar. "Fit and finish" was better than Gibsons costing considerably more. I liked everything about them BUT, the pickup placement. I play fingerstyle with a thumb pick and it seems the pickups are too close together for me and my fairly large hands. I kept clattity clunking the neck PU with my thumb pick and striking and clicking the bridge pickup with my fingernails. It was distracting. Anyone else have this issue? Maybe it's just that I'm so used to playing acoustics these days. Anyway, that's why I'm going with a T5
Old 01-11-2014, 03:24 PM

I would agree the finger style playing might be a little cramped on the T3. I'll admit that I would have rather had a "traditional" 22 frets and conventional pickup placement. The neck pickup sounds nice where it's located.

I find that the T5 sounds a tad different from many guitars. I EQ mine like a Tele and am happy with that.
Old 01-26-2014, 09:19 PM

Just ordered a Custom Koa T5. Should arrive in 5-6 weeks. I'm a little excited waiting. Not a lot excited since I'm never as in love with electrics as acoustics, but I think the T5 is just about the best value I could find.
Old 02-09-2014, 07:46 PM

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/sear...r+t3&Go=Search

T3s on sale at Sweetwater. Wish I could. Heck of a lot less than I paid and I thought I was getting a good deal. I wonder if they're going to make a T3z or something.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars