The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 01-19-2018, 03:51 PM

Default Trying some Rainsong carbon guitars tomorrow

Driving with my wife from N.Y. to Danbury Conn. Saturday. In the midst of her shopping I will be able to try some carbon fiber guitars at The Guitar Hanger. Hoping for the best. Had a Guild crack on me this year and maybe it is time to try something different. Anyone own a Rainsong?
Old 01-19-2018, 04:21 PM

Yup, just recently got a CH Parlor. Amazing guitar, so much fun to play and sounds great (to my ear). Lots of variety in the Rainsong lineup re: sizes, finishes, etc.

Have fun.

PS - Have you checked out the Carbon Fiber section of this forum, lots of info there?
Old 01-19-2018, 04:33 PM

Rainsong are probably my least favorite of all the CF offerings. Some love them. Each CF maker has differing tone like wood guitars.

Personally my two favorites are Composite Acoustics, then McPhersons, then Blackbird, and finally Rainsong. I've heard great things about emerald, but never played one.
Old 01-19-2018, 04:59 PM

Rainsong has a range of offerings, I hope your store stocks quite a few for you to try. Lots of Rainsong owners on here. Be sure to check out the differn’t models available before you go if possible so you will have some idea of the options.
Old 01-19-2018, 05:00 PM

I was very impressed with an OM size Rainsong . The model was called the “Shorty”.
Old 01-19-2018, 05:15 PM

I own two RainSongs myself, a Shorty and a Concert Hybrid WS. The Concert Hybrids are a crazy good value, with the unidirectional carbon top and matte back and sides. But each series has its own cosmetic and tonal characteristics. Are there any sizes or series that appeal to you? I've certainly played a bunch of RainSongs, as many others have here, so we can definitely offer more specific feedback depending on what you're looking for.
Old 01-19-2018, 06:33 PM
Charter Member

Many folks come to this forum looking for information because of dealing with the frailties of wood. Then the concerns: will it sound as good? Will it "feel like plastic"? What will all my wood guitar playing friends say? Will I still be able to have lunch with them, or will I have to sit by myself?

Lucky for you, you came to the place with the answers. Taking them in order:
* You might find that you like the sound of CF just as much as wood... or, even better!
* No, it won't feel like plastic. Just like wood guitars, there are CF models with a different feel and look, from glossy to textured.
* 20% of your wood guitar playing friends will be all snooty - those people aren't your real friends. The other 80% will be happy for you and interested in how you like your new carbon fiber guitar.
* See the 20/80 thing above. There are plenty of cool kids here who will be happy to have you at our table.

Some of us here have more than one carbon fiber guitar; heck some here have more carbon fiber guitars than any given store. And one regular participant HAS a store that sells most of the CF brands (as well as wood).

I started out with a RainSong; maybe because I thought it was the most "wood-like" in shape and size (my RS Shorty is very similar in size to a Taylor Grand Concert 12-fret). I bought it without having played one... and was delighted with the sound. That led to two more carbon fiber guitars that are less "traditional" - both Emeralds, with offset soundholes, great sound and playability. While I still have a few nice wood guitars, I don't see adding any more - I am that hooked on the sound and benefits of CF.

Enjoy your time with search - and be sure to report back!
Old 01-19-2018, 06:51 PM

Aye Capt.... That made for a good read and makes me want to get another CF (or eKoa) as 300 is never enough.
McPherson: Early Kevin Michael Proto
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 01-19-2018, 07:24 PM

I'm going to try some CF guitars tomorrow -- in my living room. It has been quite the crazy week, and I'm behind on playing......

Good hunting to Shadow714 tomorrow.
Old 01-19-2018, 08:18 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kramster View Post
Aye Capt.... That made for a good read and makes me want to get another CF (or eKoa) as 300 is never enough.
Perhaps we should let Shadow714 know there are also folks here who have JUST ONE (or are working towards that goal, Evan), so we don't scare him off?

For the record, Kramster's collection is throwing off the average. It is, however, good for the economy, and the guitar and keyboard industries.
Old 01-19-2018, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadow714 View Post
Driving with my wife from N.Y. to Danbury Conn. Saturday. In the midst of her shopping I will be able to try some carbon fiber guitars at The Guitar Hanger. Hoping for the best. Had a Guild crack on me this year and maybe it is time to try something different. Anyone own a Rainsong?
Hi Shadow,

Looks like the Hangar has a nice variety of Rainsongs in stock so you're headed to the right place. When I bought my first CF, a Rainsong OM1000 some 20 years ago, Rainsong was the only brand, and I was very lucky to find the model I was looking for in stock at my local GC. It doesn't look like the Hangar has any other CF brands on hand, but the good news is that Rainsong is still the industry leader, so buying a Rainsong is as safe as buying a Martin or Taylor.

My suggestion is that you take your time at the Hnagar so you can get acclimated to the carbon voice, and how carbon fiber reacts to the touch. It's quite different from wood guitars. And be sure to try the 14-fret, and 12-fret models in different sizes and material combination. CF guitars are not inexpensive, but I think you'll will find they are worth every penny.

Good luck, and have fun.
Old 01-19-2018, 09:49 PM

It is a good thing Ted is here to bring you guys...ok.. us back on track... and with the usual great advice and info.
McPherson: Early Kevin Michael Proto
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc

Last edited by kramster; 01-19-2018 at 09:55 PM.
Old 01-19-2018, 10:21 PM

Rainsong is a great place to start with CF instruments.

All of their designs are shaped like traditional guitars, and are essentially equivalent (in size) to what one might like in a Martin or Guild.

E.g. if you like OM/000 size instruments they have an OM. The WindSong is essentially the same size as a Guild Mini Jumbo or Taylor GA. Dreads etc. The Parlor is an 0 size.
Rainsong SFTA-FLE; WS3000; CH-PA
Taylor GA3-12, Guild F-212

https://markhorning.bandcamp.com/music
Old 01-20-2018, 02:05 AM

After trying a wide range of CF guitars at kramster’s, (several different models each from Rainsong, Composite Acoustics, Emerald, Blackbird, and others) I came away most impressed with the Rainsong CH-OM1100NS. Great playability and wonderful tone. I then set out to buy one from Ted:

I continue to be very happy with this purchase!

I think you will quite enjoy your experience checking out the Rainsongs. And you surely will never go wrong choosing Rainsong for a CF guitar. They’ve really got making great CF guitars down!
Old 01-20-2018, 10:27 AM
Guest 928

There are lots of CF options out there, but Rainsong has the strongest presence, i.e., is the easiest to find and play. Another nice thing about Rainsong instruments is that they come in a variety of shapes and sizes. I was never much of a Rainsong fan until I ran across the RS Parlor. I have the 12 fret nylon string and it is a marvelous instrument.

Good luck in your search and, if you would, keep us posted.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber