The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 01-12-2018, 04:54 PM

Default How to deal with chronic split fingernail

Probably already discussed, but I want a fix for my pick-and-strum index finger's nail.

It has been hard for me, in my one year of playing, to develop a clear strong nail. Now its split runs to the base.

What should I ask for at the nails parlor? And how well and for how long will a glue-on last.

And if doing glue-on, how can the nail underneath develop and grow out? I'd not like a glue-on to be a permanent solution.

Naples, FL

1972 Martin D18 (Kimsified, so there!)
Alvarez Yairi PYM70
Yamaha LS-TA with sunburst finish
Republic parlor resonator
Too many ukeleles
Old 01-12-2018, 05:09 PM

I posted on a similar problem recently. I'm a fingerpicker, and I damaged my middle nail recently in the workshop. This nail also suffers from a weak spot that causes it to develop a notch and split about down the middle. My daughter, who knows a lot more about cosmetic fixes than I, suggested teabag and nail varnish. The synthetic fibres in teabag are apparently very strong, and the open structure provides a good matrix. I opted for superglue and teabag. About three weeks ago I used five layers of teabag and CA glue. It peeled off after about a week, and I applied another lot of four layers, and it also lasted about a week. I'm now on the third lot, just two layers, and I'm considering it as a permanent fix for the split. It is almost invisible, and can be sanded smooth and buffed to look like a nail.
Old 01-12-2018, 08:37 PM

If you're playing with bare fingers on a steel-string guitar, nail care is pretty close to a full time job. Personally, I've got a whole workshop of nail files that I use every day to keep my nails at optimal length.

Nonetheless, I developed a long crack in my thumbnail that split the thing in half. My wife suggested I try a product called "bag balm" (https://www.amazon.com/Bag-Balm-Tin-...ag%2Bbalm&th=1)

I rolled my eyes at this suggestion, thinking it would never work. But, it has. I rub this gunk on my nails every night, and it has prevent them from splitting. Ultimately, the crack had to grow out, but the balm has prevented reoccurrence.

Previously I had tried the acrylic strengthening agent that nail salons use. Initially, it worked really well. But over time, the underlying nail grew more and more fragile, so I had to abandon the treatment.
Old 01-13-2018, 11:02 AM

my wife does haircuts and nails as a pro. she had me use small strips of toilet paper with super glue. easy and works.

play music!

2014 Martin 00015M
2009 Martin 0015M
2008 Martin HD28
2007 Martin 000-18GE
2006 Taylor 712
2006 Fender Parlor GDP100
1978 Fender F65
1968 Gibson B25-12N
Various Electrics
Old 01-13-2018, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AX17609 View Post
If you're playing with bare fingers on a steel-string guitar, nail care is pretty close to a full time job. Personally, I've got a whole workshop of nail files that I use every day to keep my nails at optimal length.

Previously I had tried the acrylic strengthening agent that nail salons use. Initially, it worked really well. But over time, the underlying nail grew more and more fragile, so I had to abandon the treatment.
Yeah, those acrylic treatments work for the time they are on, but wow, they sure do make the underlying nail soft and weak.

I also play wire-strung celtic harp, It is waaay more brutal on nails than steel string guitar. I use lanolin, pure lanolin. I rub it on my nails every couple of days. I still have 60% of the jar I bought 10 years ago. You just need a wee bit.

Celtic harps: 1994 Triplett Excelle, 1998 Triplett Avalon (the first ever made - Steve Triplett's personal prototype)
Old 01-14-2018, 07:20 AM

Eat lots of jello, or other foods with gelatins.
Old 01-15-2018, 01:33 PM

Splitting and weak nails should be fixed internally. There are nutritional deficiencies and some conditions (thyroid) that cause this. An Extensive Google search will bring them up.

That said, gelatin will build them up.

The secret to life is enjoying the passage of time.
Old 01-15-2018, 03:32 PM

Eating gelatin will not strengthen your nails:

https://www.askdoctork.com/how-can-i...r-201209122930
Old 01-16-2018, 12:59 AM

I saw a You Tube vid, where the person put a dab of tooth
past on their fingernail and brushed with a tooth brush. Supposedly this made their fingernail stronger. Who knows?
Old 01-16-2018, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muscmp View Post
my wife does haircuts and nails as a pro. she had me use small strips of toilet paper with super glue. easy and works.

play music!
I've never been able to successfully repair a nail split with super glue and (fill in the blank: tissue paper, tea bag paper, silk.) It lasts for a brief while, and the edge (not matter how smooth I make it) eventually catches on something and opens up again.

If it's the index finger, I'll usually play an electric guitar as it is way easier to finger pick. Keep debating whether to just go to a beauty salon.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic