The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 07-11-2017, 05:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyDee View Post
Well, I'm a little embarrassed to mention this song, but it's a good example, because someone wanted me to play it and the chord progression isn't all that easy to remember, in my view. I'm doing it fingerstyle, modifying a pattern here and there to suit the changes and lyrics better. Sometimes When We Touch, Dan Hill

https://tabs.ultimate-guitar.com/d/d..._touch_crd.htm

Maybe you should start a new thread, because I'm sure that many people would be interested to read your posts on this.
:-) I've done worse with tunes people bring you for sure. I'll check it out. Never played it but remember from the radio etc. Slow days in the hospital this week with a family member (doing well). So, may be something to occupy. I think it's a good topic. One of the most important...

On a side note, it's relevant to the topic to mention that, as a musician, you very often "get to" play things that you might not choose yourself ...and which are otherwise tedious/difficult to work on hundreds of times. (I can think of a great many wedding tunes that were borderline "violations" of my person.) The more streamlined the process the better. This tune isn't bad at all comparatively.
Old 07-11-2017, 06:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattbn73 View Post
:-) I've done worse with tunes people bring you for sure. I'll check it out. Never played it but remember from the radio etc. Slow days in the hospital this week with a family member (doing well). So, may be something to occupy. I think it's a good topic. One of the most important...

On a side note, it's relevant to the topic to mention that, as a musician, you very often "get to" play things that you might not choose yourself ...and which are otherwise tedious/difficult to work on hundreds of times. (I can think of a great many wedding tunes that were borderline "violations" of my person.) The more streamlined the process the better. This tune isn't bad at all comparatively.
Definitely, streamline. Please. No, the tune's not bad. It just sounds like exactly what it is - the emotional angst of 19 year old. When I was 19, I liked it, too.

I'm glad to hear your family member is doing well. You're really kind to help out with this. Memorizing the songs is the one thing slowing me down and all the normal memory devices like writing it down, etc, haven't helped much. A great method will change that and make a big difference for me.

Lefty Acoustics

Martin 00-15M
Taylor 320e Baritone

Cheap Righty Classical (played upside down ala Elizabeth Cotten)
Old 07-11-2017, 10:27 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Can you point us toward the specifics on this? I'm not having an easy time memorizing songs.
Makes me feel good when others post this. I have the hardest time meomorizing any of this. Glad it's not just me.
Old 07-11-2017, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandobart View Post
...You have set and reach goals - and these should be more skills based ....play music with other people regularly. If you're good enough to land gigs you're good enough to participate in regular jams/song circles. There are so many benefits to this. Your timing and singing will improve. You'll pick up new techniques and skills...
Great points in this post. Regarding learning and arranging songs to perform, I'd also add spend time watching performers who have chops/techniques you'd like to have. These can be: local folks who are a notch above you; Youtubers; whatever - not necessarily recording artists, but maybe them too. Then spend time learning/incorporating those skills. That way your learning efforts are very targeted and efficient.
Old 07-11-2017, 10:46 AM

I was always told "pactice what you preach".

Theory is the post mortem of Music.
Old 07-11-2017, 10:52 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowrider View Post
Makes me feel good when others post this. I have the hardest time meomorizing any of this. Glad it's not just me.
I have a couple tricks I use when memorizing song lyrics.

first and most effective for me: handwrite the lyrics on a piece of paper with a pencil. Do not type. Do not use ink. Paper and Pencil so you can erase copying mistakes along the way. Handwritten to help imprint the image in your mind's eye.

second and helpful when the above isn't effective: listen hard to the lyrics and 'paint a picture' in my mind of the song's storyline. "watch this picture" everytime I practice.

third and sometimes always with the above: fall asleep to a recording of the song. Amazing what the brain can capture while we're sleeping.

Then I have to keep the song in rotation if I want to retain the words for performing or jamming.

good luck!

Huss & Dalton CM
McKnight MacNaught
Breedlove Custom 000
Albert & Mueller S
Martin LXE
Voyage-Air VM04
Eastman AR605CE
Old 07-11-2017, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Well, I'm a little embarrassed to mention this song, but it's a good example, because someone wanted me to play it and the chord progression isn't all that easy to remember, in my view. I'm doing it fingerstyle, modifying a pattern here and there to suit the changes and lyrics better. Sometimes When We Touch, Dan Hill

https://tabs.ultimate-guitar.com/d/d..._touch_crd.htm

Maybe you should start a new thread, because I'm sure that many people would be interested to read your posts on this.
Made most of a chart in C because of this one you linked, but I would usually play something like this in D rather than C-plus-capo. I've been listening to the Dan Hill version which is in D.

Anyway, it occurrs to me that this may be a different version from what you're doing. :-) This chart says Eb, one of the comments on it says it should be E, and then the version I'm listening to is in D. :-) Which version are you working from?
Old 07-11-2017, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Made most of a chart in C because of this one you linked, but I would usually play something like this in D rather than C-plus-capo. I've been listening to the Dan Hill version which is in D.

Anyway, it occurrs to me that this may be a different version from what you're doing. :-) This chart says Eb, one of the comments on it says it should be E, and then the version I'm listening to is in D. :-) Which version are you working from?
I had been playing C plus capo, singing it up a half step, so what you've already done is probably great, but any key you want to use is fine. I can play in different keys and I can transpose, so just do it the way you think is best. I'm sure I'll agree with you.

I think I was actually working from this, originally.

Lefty Acoustics

Martin 00-15M
Taylor 320e Baritone

Old 07-12-2017, 12:31 PM

Sorry. Crazy 2 days, but it's nice to stop and think about something else . This is possibly the ugliest thing I've ever done on paper , but this from the hospital room. I usually like to have the lyrics typed to one side and structure on the other. As a singer, chords over every word for every verse is just information overload. Besides which, if I can't assess changes kind of at a glance , there are other things I need to practice anyway. I shouldn't have to think all over again from scratch for the second verse if it's the same chords anyway. just new lyrics.

Anyway, learning tunes is really about learning component parts of them, for me personally. Doesn't help for me to see it as all one big blob of chords for the whole thing. I've set it up as basically two bars per line, and they line up with the lyrics on the left. There are other tricks I'll talk about later that I use for marking rhythms of tricky verses with different rhythms on each one etc. , which really help in memorizing the tune a little faster as well.

Again, making a chart is kind of a personal thing . This is just one way which I found helps myself and others in memorizing the chord part a little faster and understanding the form of the tune.

This is geared more on the original Tune , simplified in places , with maybe too many changes in others depending on who would be reading yet. Honestly, I like a little more detail for ease of memorizing something. I'll expand more later.
Old 07-12-2017, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Sorry. Crazy 2 days, but it's nice to stop and think about something else . This is possibly the ugliest thing I've ever done on paper , but this from the hospital room. I usually like to have the lyrics typed to one side and structure on the other. As a singer, chords over every word for every verse is just information overload. ...

Anyway, learning tunes is really about learning component parts of them, for me personally. Doesn't help for me to see it as all one big blob of chords for the whole thing. I've set it up as basically two bars per line, and they line up with the lyrics on the left. There are other tricks I'll talk about later that I use for marking rhythms of tricky verses with different rhythms on each one etc. , which really help in memorizing the tune a little faster as well.

Again, making a chart is kind of a personal thing . This is just one way which I found helps myself and others in memorizing the chord part a little faster and understanding the form of the tune....
I find it really helpful to hear about others' thought processes on these things. I'll look forward to your later elaborations.

I can see why you might want to separate lyrics and chords this way. Would you do this all the time? Even if you are the only one singing and playing?

Lefty Acoustics

Martin 00-15M
Taylor 320e Baritone

Old 07-12-2017, 02:33 PM

Quote:
I find it really helpful to hear about others' thought processes on these things. I'll look forward to your later elaborations.

I can see why you might want to separate lyrics and chords this way. Would you do this all the time? Even if you are the only one singing and playing?
Weirdest thing just happened. I have had the most surreal week with Dad in the hospital. Really frustrating 24 hours trying to deal red tape issues and fighting the bureaucracy, while trying to take care of him as well. Anyway, I was happy for a break and had composed a (probably too long) post on memorization, largely answering some ofwhat you're saying above. I then somehow managed to delete the whole thing , and went into a frustrating meeting.

Anyway, about an hour later I got news that my redtape issue was suddenly solved, and I also got a break for a moment to go downstairs get something to eat. Then I walked through the lobby and heard this : https://youtu.be/mqFF-Kj9GXA Ha!

I'll try to repost again in the next little while during his nap.
Old 07-12-2017, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Weirdest thing just happened. I have had the most surreal week with Dad in the hospital. Really frustrating 24 hours trying to deal red tape issues and fighting the bureaucracy, while trying to take care of him as well. Anyway, I was happy for a break and had composed a (probably too long) post on memorization, largely answering some ofwhat you're saying above. I then somehow managed to delete the whole thing , and went into a frustrating meeting.

Anyway, about an hour later I got news that my redtape issue was suddenly solved, and I also got a break for a moment to go downstairs get something to eat. Then I walked through the lobby and heard this : https://youtu.be/mqFF-Kj9GXA Ha!

I'll try to repost again in the next little while during his nap.
You're having quite the week.

Lefty Acoustics

Martin 00-15M
Taylor 320e Baritone

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write