The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 06-30-2017, 01:31 PM

Default Classical influenced improvisation

Hi!

I made little video about practicing classical influenced improvisation. I feel that classical music is part of our corner stone of music in every style. Bach’s Inventions and Paganini’s Caprices are familiar to many jazz guitarists as well to many heavy metal guitarists. Although player wouldn’t be fond of these styles I think that practicing classical etudes and improvisation is good both to technique and tonal language improvement. When I was making this video I got feeling that basic rules for scale to chord doesn’t always work. Sometimes it seemed to work mix different scales, or use only the first five notes of the scales. Sometimes scale is forming from three-note or four-note chord arpeggios with chromatic notes added.

Kindest, Mikko

Old 06-30-2017, 02:14 PM

Very cool approach. I like it.
Old 07-01-2017, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GHS View Post
Very cool approach. I like it.

Thanks! Nice hear that.
Old 07-01-2017, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikkoKarhula View Post
Thanks! Nice hear that.
My teacher has been instructing me in classical music, ( Bach mostly). I find that it really helps develop my sight reading, ear training for tonal difference, and learning the fret board. My progress is slow but steady. Latin music helps greatly too for it involves many extensions, (9th, m11th, 13's) in many different forms of many inversions. Keep up your excellent style.
Old 07-02-2017, 02:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GHS View Post
My teacher has been instructing me in classical music, ( Bach mostly). I find that it really helps develop my sight reading, ear training for tonal difference, and learning the fret board. My progress is slow but steady. Latin music helps greatly too for it involves many extensions, (9th, m11th, 13's) in many different forms of many inversions. Keep up your excellent style.
Thank you GHS!
That's good to hear. IMO classical music is one of the best trainers for all kind of player in all styles. You said it very well. I think that classical melodies and harmonies are very much of the core of our music. Also this kind of melody playing is sometimes refreshing to add for example in jazz improvisation. At least in the mind when playing. It gives different approach for the situation.
Kindest, Mikko

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write