The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 01-19-2018, 03:22 PM
Charter Member

Default Reaper problems .....

Maybe someone here can help. I just installed Reaper (Windows 10 64 bit) and I can't get it to import any movie files. (.mov) It imports a blank file, w/no sound & no video. I can't find anything online that addresses this problem.
Steve
Old 01-19-2018, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevien View Post
Maybe someone here can help. I just installed Reaper (Windows 10 64 bit) and I can't get it to import any movie files. (.mov) It imports a blank file, w/no sound & no video. I can't find anything online that addresses this problem.
Steve
Do you get what looks like a blank track?

If so, be aware that you don't "see" a video clip where you would normally see an audio waveform. If you have the blank track displayed then go to "View" in the drop down menus at the top and check "video Window". That opens the window in your display area and is where you actually see the video playback.

The audio display of the video waveform doesn't show for me until I trim a small amount off the beginning or end of the track. When I do that I get a "media re-sampled" box and the audio waveform then is displayed under the video track.

I recently started using Reaper for some basic video editing and I don't know why this works, but it works for me. You might have to do something different, as I'm not running 64 bit or Windows 10.

Make sure you download the latest user guide for Reaper in pdf form from the Cockos website. The latest is version 5.7 I believe. The pdf is well organized and has a great left side index system to assist you with finding your way around the several hundred pages that the manual is comprised of.
Old 01-19-2018, 06:18 PM
Charter Member

Wink

Yep, just a blank track, about 2 seconds long. No waveforms. I opened the video window, & nothing there.
Steve
Old 01-20-2018, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Yep, just a blank track, about 2 seconds long. No waveforms. I opened the video window, & nothing there.
Steve
Does the cursor follow the track waveform when you hit play?
Old 01-20-2018, 12:48 PM
Charter Member

There is no track waveform, just a blank box. I don't believe it's importing the file at all, as I sometimes get an "offline" message where the waveforms should be.
Steve

Last edited by Stevien; 01-20-2018 at 01:01 PM.
Old 01-20-2018, 08:59 PM

Quote:
There is no track waveform, just a blank box. I don't believe it's importing the file at all, as I sometimes get an "offline" message where the waveforms should be.
Steve
The blank box IS the video file. You won't see anything there, you'll only see the resulting video in the video view box which you previously opened. It just keeps "place" on the timeline. If the cursor isn't progressing across the blank box then it isn't playing. The "offline" message indicates the file didn't load when you started the program.

You can click the "blank box" and look at the item properties menu to see what's there (or not there).

It's very difficult to try and diagnose problems without actually seeing it, but there's always a few things to suggest.

Locate the file you're trying to import. When you double click it does it play in your Windows media viewer?

That might be a good first step toward getting a valid file to load in Reaper for you.

Last edited by Rudy4; 01-20-2018 at 09:04 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD