The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 11-26-2017, 11:59 AM

Default Older Martin pickguard

My '72 D18 has cracks in its top and the luthiers say it's the cause of the typical Martin pickguard crack. The guard shrinks and takes the wood with it.

In their cost-saving wisdom back in the days of bell bottoms and sideburns, they mounted the pickguard with acetate adhesive right on the bare spruce and then finished over.

It's going into Bryan Kimsey for repairs soon, and I am thinking the pickguard should be replaced. I have watched YouTube videos showing luthiers sealing the bare wood under with CA glue before remounting a new guard.

What else should I know about this? We'll see what Bryan says, but I thought I would ask the big broad audience here also.

Naples, FL

1972 Martin D18 (Kimsified, so there!)
Alvarez Yairi PYM70
Yamaha LS-TA with sunburst finish
Republic parlor resonator
Too many ukeleles
Old 11-26-2017, 03:37 PM
Guest 1928

It wasn't cost savings. It's just how they did it at the time, and how they'd always done it since pick guards became standard on Martins. Some earlier examples were inlaid, but I mean from the OM forward.

Sealing the bare wood (not necessarily with CA) and applying another guard is about all there is to it, except that you need a guard made/shaped to fit the exact footprint of the old guard.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair