The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 10-30-2017, 07:32 AM

Default How often do you change strings on your classical?

Had an Anthem installed in my classical last week. The tech told me most classical players he works with would not change their unwound strings for over a year. This surprised me as I thought stretching unevenly over time would affect intonation.

How often do you guys change strings?
Old 10-30-2017, 07:54 AM

Basses, every 2 months or so. Trebles, yeah, can be half a year or more.

http://www.youtube.com/user/jeffreymatz

Last edited by mr. beaumont; 10-30-2017 at 08:32 AM.
Old 10-30-2017, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. beaumont View Post
Basses, every 2 months or so. Trebles, yeah, can be half a year or more.
Just curious.... how much playing time????....

Seems this would make a difference.... yes/no????
Old 10-30-2017, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 47gene View Post
Just curious.... how much playing time????....

Seems this would make a difference.... yes/no????

I never calculated, but nylon is not my main instrument...So I'd say maybe 2-3 hours on it a week?

At any rate, the basses go LONG before the trebles, no matter how much you're playing.

http://www.youtube.com/user/jeffreymatz
Old 10-30-2017, 09:19 AM
Charter Member

Here's a second to what Jeff said.
I play mine every day. The basses are about 4 months old. They're still playable but due for a change.
The trebles are going on 8 months+. I'll probably change them as well, although I could get away with leaving them on.

That's what I usually average, i.e. the basses get changed twice to every once for the trebles. Over the course of a year, give or take.

Changing out trebles is a pain. It takes a good week for them to stay in tune, and even then they need to be re-tuned during practice. Basses break in more easily, but need changing more often.
Steel strings intonate much more quickly, but don't last nearly as long as nylons.
So, it all works out in the end...

Golf is pretty simple. It's just not that easy.
- Paul Azinger

"It ain’t what you don’t know that gets you into trouble. It’s what you know for sure that just ain’t so."
– Mark Twain

http://www.youtube.com/user/Gitfiddlemann
Old 10-30-2017, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. beaumont View Post
I never calculated, but nylon is not my main instrument...So I'd say maybe 2-3 hours on it a week?

At any rate, the basses go LONG before the trebles, no matter how much you're playing.

Thanks... I play my nylon 2-3 hours a day... I'm sure that makes a difference..
Old 10-30-2017, 09:43 AM

I change all of my strings about every 5 weeks. I play about 2 hours a day. My bass strings wear out faster than normal due to the use of a capo on multiple songs.

Dave
2011 Godin Jazz model archtop
Old 10-30-2017, 10:27 AM

I think I read somewhere that 40-60 hours playing time is about the time strings really need to be changed (however I leave mine longer because that would involve me changing strings more often than I feel like doing it!). I probably change mine every 4-6 weeks... I guess if the basses are starting to corrode and the nylon strings are rough if you run your finger along them where you play them with your right hand that's another good indicator they aren't doing you any favors for sound.
Old 10-31-2017, 02:12 AM

I turn my D string around after about 2 months. And I occaisonally move it a cm or so. This way, the basses last me 6months.
I play: Acoustic blues & folk
Videos: https://www.youtube.com/user/sirwhale28/videos
Old 10-31-2017, 04:58 PM
Charter Member

This will sound like a simplistic answer but I change then when they don't sound right anymore. I never pay attention to the time frame. When my ear doesn't like the sound, or they don't seem to be in tune despite what the tuner says, I change them.

YMMV,
Dave
Old 11-01-2017, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave T View Post
This will sound like a simplistic answer but I change then when they don't sound right anymore. I never pay attention to the time frame. When my ear doesn't like the sound, or they don't seem to be in tune despite what the tuner says, I change them.

YMMV,
Dave
I am like Dave, I change the basses when they become dead or 2 days before concerts. Sometimes they last only 3-4 days due to intense practice and I reverse all the bass strings which will gives me another couple hours of 'life'. Otherwise I do change them every every 4-5 weeks even though the basses have been dead for a while.

warmest wishes
Kevin
Old 11-02-2017, 11:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 815C View Post
Had an Anthem installed in my classical last week. The tech told me most classical players he works with would not change their unwound strings for over a year. This surprised me as I thought stretching unevenly over time would affect intonation.

How often do you guys change strings?
There's an old joke about classical guitar strings, that when they finally stay in tune, it's time to change them. Back when I was playing really a lot (2-3 hours/day), it was probably 3 weeks to a month on a set. These days, working 40-55 hours/week, I don't play classical much any more, mostly acoustic steel. Maybe every 4-6 months. It really depends on how many hours you put into it. Bottom line is that once the intonation as you move up the neck becomes false, it's time to change the strings.
1986 Charvel Model 3A electric

2001 Fender Jazz standard bass
1935 A-00 Gibson mandolin
1815 JG Hamm violin
Kelii soprano ukulele
Old 11-03-2017, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave T View Post

YMMV,
Dave
What a great answer.
Old 11-03-2017, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paraclete View Post
There's an old joke about classical guitar strings, that when they finally stay in tune, it's time to change them. Back when I was playing really a lot (2-3 hours/day), it was probably 3 weeks to a month on a set. These days, working 40-55 hours/week, I don't play classical much any more, mostly acoustic steel. Maybe every 4-6 months. It really depends on how many hours you put into it. Bottom line is that once the intonation as you move up the neck becomes false, it's time to change the strings.
There is a work around for this. Try the following:

Put the 6th string on and tune it up to a G#. (4 frets higher)
Put the 1st string on and tune it up to an F#. (2 frets higher)
Put the 5th string on and tune it up to a C. (3 frets higher)
Put the 2nd string on and tune it up to a D. (3 frets higher)

Stop! Don't add too much tension to your guitar. Find something productive to do for five minutes or so. Tune the strings down to correct pitch.

Then continue:
Put the 4th string on and tune it up to an E. (2 frets higher)
Put the 3rd string on and tune it up to a B. (4 frets higher)
Old 11-06-2017, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paraclete View Post
^^^^^^^^^^^^^

The above is what I experienced with nylon strings when I played them a lot. There were a few years MANY years ago when I played my Oscar Teller probably an average of two hours a day. I would replace the set of strings and stretch and tune for a few days before it could stay in tune for more than a few minutes, then once they would stay in tune for a reasonable amount of time, but then at some point it would sound like the frets were misplaced. I probably replaced strings about once a month.

I am just now starting to play again after a thirty or so year absence, and it SEEMS as if today’s nylon strings are not as bad as they were fifty years ago, but maybe that is just my imagination and lack of memory. My nylon string guitar is the same Oscar Teller I bought in Germany in ‘69, so the strings are the only variable.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical