The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 10-23-2017, 12:13 PM

Default Any recommendations for a classical guitar knee rest?

Thinking of getting one of these. There a few to choose from. Any recommendations?

Old 10-23-2017, 12:46 PM

That's the Ergoplay Täppert. There is also the Ergoplay Tröster. Works well. Some do not like the suckers that may leave a milky imprint on the finish.

There is also the Dynarette cushion and its imitators, the Kris Barnett Guitar Support, and the Murata Guitar Support.

I use the leather Neck Up which I like better. Check that out.
Old 10-23-2017, 04:15 PM

A Gitano - does the job and folds away flat, so perhaps (depending on your case) no need to remove when storing the guitar in the case. The suckers don't work on all finishes though.

Jonny
Old 10-24-2017, 05:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnymosco View Post
A Gitano - does the job and folds away flat, so perhaps (depending on your case) no need to remove when storing the guitar in the case. The suckers don't work on all finishes though.

Jonny
I agree. I love the gitano. I have on on all of my guitars.
Old 10-24-2017, 07:22 AM

Third vote for Gitano...slightly less expensive and easy to put on/remove. I use static cling Graflix under it to avoid any finish damage possibility.
Old 10-29-2017, 11:40 AM

Gitano is good, but if you want the best, get the Barnett. Uses magnets and it’s sturdy.

Old 10-29-2017, 04:51 PM

Hi, 815C.

If you'd like to try the Ergoplay Tröster, I have a barely used one that I'd give you a great deal on.

All of the knee rests I've tried have a different feel. Some great ones mentioned here.

Thanks.
Larry
Old 10-30-2017, 10:18 AM

I vote for the Barnett ( I have magnets in all my guitars now). However I would say that you can get more height (if you need it) with the Ergoplay
Old 10-30-2017, 11:21 AM
AGF Sponsor

Default Guitar Support Guide | Strings By Mail

Here's a page that should help! A full comparison chart for all the guitar supports on the market sold at SBM... and there are a lot of them. Pics show high and low positions for each with pros/cons, pricing etc. Buying a guitar support is probably the hardest decision to make online without personal testing, but our hopes is that this page helps and guides your decision.

https://www.stringsbymail.com/pages/...-guide-44.html

note: Barnett is now known as Sagework, but will take time to fully convert in lingo. It is listed as Sagework on the chart.
Old 10-30-2017, 01:55 PM
AGF Sponsor

Default Alex De Grassi on Guitar Supports

and here's a fun video we made with our sponsored artist Alex De Grassi on his thoughts on guitar supports...
https://www.stringsbymail.com/videos...uitar-supports

Alex has been using the A-Frame for years.
Old 11-01-2017, 04:16 PM
Charter Member

Another vote for the Barnett. I just got mine recently, after having tried a few of the suction cup type supports over the years. in my personal experience, the Barnett (Sagework) is the best by far. I got it from XGuitars.com, and recommend them. I have also done business with Strings By Mail, bought quite a few sets of strings from them and they are really good to deal with too.

One thing, and this depends on your guitar, I don't trust suction cups on my classical guitar because it has French polish. The previous guitars I tried suction cup supports on did not have French polish, so I felt safe using them.

However, the Barnett support feels much more stable to me than the suction cup supports or the Dynarette pillow, which I have also owned.

Tony

"Alexa, where's my stuff?"
- Anxiously waiting...
Old 11-01-2017, 06:05 PM

Default I would highly recommend it...

Uh...

"Thinking about getting one of these?" These what?? Guitar support, guitar, or ....player person?

I am not sure what to think about the air gap under the guitar...but I am sure I am not seeing what you are talking about....On the other hand, I am all about science fiction...Brings new meaning to "Air Guitar"...FWIW.

D
Old 11-03-2017, 11:24 PM

I've used a Dynarette for years.
Old 11-07-2017, 01:17 PM

I purchased a Barnett from a fellow AGF member at the beginning of the year. Use it on all my guitars every time I practice and it's fantastic. Easy installation and the magnets make it super easy to apply and remove without marring or leaving any residue on the finish. Highly recommended.

Check out my first original!
Facebook
Youtube
Old 11-07-2017, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strings By Mail View Post
Here's a page that should help! A full comparison chart for all the guitar supports on the market sold at SBM... and there are a lot of them. Pics show high and low positions for each with pros/cons, pricing etc. Buying a guitar support is probably the hardest decision to make online without personal testing, but our hopes is that this page helps and guides your decision.

https://www.stringsbymail.com/pages/...-guide-44.html

note: Barnett is now known as Sagework, but will take time to fully convert in lingo. It is listed as Sagework on the chart.
That's awesome! Thanks for the link. From experience, I can say that I did not like the A-Frame. The guitar would subtlety start bouncing. Even worse for me are the Dynarette cushions. On the other hand, a former teacher had one and loved it. For me, it was far too soft and not adjustable. Either it fits or it doesn't. And with the softness, I couldn't get needed stability. Personally, I would go for something that is very solid and isn't going to have any give to it.

Another little trick I use: take a couple of thin hardback books and place them under the back legs of the chair. This will take a tremendous amount of pressure off of your back! A thin piece of wood does the same trick.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical