The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 08-13-2023, 03:03 AM

Default How to mix voice and guitar on an AER Compact 60

I have an AER Compact 60 and would like to mix voice and guitar. I could run a guitar with pickup into the guitar input and a mic into the mic input, but I'd like to mic the guitar and voice both. Is there a way to do this?
Please talk to me like I'm 14. I don't know much about this.
Old 08-13-2023, 06:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookstorecowboy View Post
I have an AER Compact 60 and would like to mix voice and guitar. I could run a guitar with pickup into the guitar input and a mic into the mic input, but I'd like to mic the guitar and voice both. Is there a way to do this?
Why?.......
Old 08-13-2023, 07:34 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Etneccas View Post
Why?.......
Well, one reason would be to blend the sound of, say, a magnetic pickup with the acoustic sound of the guitar.

But to answer the OPs question, a small, inexpensive mixer would do the trick.
Old 08-13-2023, 01:01 PM
Charter Member

I have a small Bose T1 mixer/tone generator unit that I use with either my Bose L1 Model II or my AER Compact 60... works great and gives me a lot of control over the sound from my guitars and vocal...

Without a mixer, you could buy an in-line impedance matching transformer and plug a mic into the guitar channel... although I'm not sure how good it will sound.

"The Cape" (Guy Clark/Jim Janowsky/Susanna Clark)
Old 08-13-2023, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Etneccas View Post
Why?.......
Because I don't like the sound of pickups on an acoustic.
Old 08-13-2023, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jseth View Post
I have a small Bose T1 mixer/tone generator unit that I use with either my Bose L1 Model II or my AER Compact 60... works great and gives me a lot of control over the sound from my guitars and vocal...

Without a mixer, you could buy an in-line impedance matching transformer and plug a mic into the guitar channel... although I'm not sure how good it will sound.
Thanks. Does the device plug into the mic input or the guitar input?
Old 08-14-2023, 09:34 AM
Charter Member

I play a Waterloo guitar with an Anthem SL pickup through my Compact 60 and it sounds lovely. If your acoustic pickup doesn't sound good why not replace it with something that does?
Old 08-14-2023, 11:43 AM
Charter Member

Cool Either?

Quote:
Thanks. Does the device plug into the mic input or the guitar input?
It depends upon which type you buy... the type with a female XLR would affix to your mic cord and then have a 1/4" plug.

The point of it is to "transform" and match the piece of equipment to the input wanted/needed. There are line-matching transformers that "step up" the signal so it works with a high-impedance input, and others that "step-down" the signal for a mic/xlr input...

They are fairly inexpensive, so, worth a try to see if it gives you what you want. They are also good items to have around for any future use, as well...

I do second the reply to get a pickup that gives you more of what you want to hear; the result will be much better than attempting to "fix" a pickup that is "less-than"...

"The Cape" (Guy Clark/Jim Janowsky/Susanna Clark)
Old 08-14-2023, 12:19 PM
Charter Member

While you can use a mixer, I think what you want is not what the AER was meant to do. I'd get a PA speaker or two. The AER also sounds best to me in a big room.
2011 Santa Cruz D P/W
Pono OP 30 D parlor
Pono OP12-30
Pono MT uke
Goldtone Paul Beard squareneck resophonic
Fluke tenor ukulele
Boatload of home rolled telecasters

"Shut up and play ur guitar" Frank Zappa
Old 08-14-2023, 12:56 PM

I’d suggest that you run a condenser mic or SM57 style dynamic into the mic channel, then run a dynamic vocal mic into the instrument channel with an XLR-Jack lead. There is plenty of gain available on the instrument channel as it’s designed for any and all pickups, both low and high output, and has a pad to adapt for different gain requirements.

This isn’t how AER designed the amp to work, but I see no reason why it wouldn’t get you to where you want to be.

I’m a huge fan of AER. Huge. My Compact 60/4 is my favourite ever gear purchase, more so than any of my guitars even. I never play without mine. It’s a marvellous single source sound reinforcement setup, and for bigger gigs a brilliant DI, sidefill monitor and preamp. I love singing through it, too.

One thing the C60 excels at, though, is making reasonable acoustic pickups sound great. If you’re struggling to get a sound you like, I’d bet that you would get more mileage from changing your pickup rather than juggling two mics onstage.
‘97 Martin D18GE (Sunrise)
‘01 Takamine EAN46C (Palathetic and CT4B)
'02 Takamine EAN20C (Palathetic and CT4BII)
'15 Gibson SJ200 Standard (Sunrise)
‘19 Vintage Paul Brett Viator VC Classical
‘20 Sigma CF-100 copy (Sunrise)

Capos by G7th, amplification by AER.
Old 08-14-2023, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Well what kind of gigs are you going to be doing with the AER?
Old 08-15-2023, 05:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Acuff View Post
I play a Waterloo guitar with an Anthem SL pickup through my Compact 60 and it sounds lovely. If your acoustic pickup doesn't sound good why not replace it with something that does?
I have the same pickup and it does appear to be the best of its kind, but it doesn't come close to a good microphone, to my ears.
Old 08-15-2023, 05:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockabilly69 View Post
Well what kind of gigs are you going to be doing with the AER?
Hopefully local bars and coffee houses. But the sound quality issue is more about my own needs than it is the needs of the audience, who probably couldn't care less.
Old 08-15-2023, 05:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jinder View Post
I’d suggest that you run a condenser mic or SM57 style dynamic into the mic channel, then run a dynamic vocal mic into the instrument channel with an XLR-Jack lead. There is plenty of gain available on the instrument channel as it’s designed for any and all pickups, both low and high output, and has a pad to adapt for different gain requirements.

This isn’t how AER designed the amp to work, but I see no reason why it wouldn’t get you to where you want to be.

I’m a huge fan of AER. Huge. My Compact 60/4 is my favourite ever gear purchase, more so than any of my guitars even. I never play without mine. It’s a marvellous single source sound reinforcement setup, and for bigger gigs a brilliant DI, sidefill monitor and preamp. I love singing through it, too.

One thing the C60 excels at, though, is making reasonable acoustic pickups sound great. If you’re struggling to get a sound you like, I’d bet that you would get more mileage from changing your pickup rather than juggling two mics onstage.
Thanks! I don't however think any pickup is going to be what I want. I've tried all the highest-rated ones and they don't sound right to me.
Old 08-15-2023, 06:12 AM

So I can just run both mics into the AER, using different kinds of cables for them. I see. I don't need a mixer, then. I can just use the separate volume settings and simple bass/treble controls.
Thank you. A very simple solution! I have ordered the other kind of cable.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification