The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 01-22-2017, 10:51 AM

Default Question about classical guitar I have

At the suggestion of some very nice members on a different thread, I have decided to practice with my classical guitar in order to play my Fender a little better. I have chord buzzing and muffling with the Fender but not much at all with the Classical. Due to a wrist injury whereby I have several pins in my back hand, wrist and forearm, I seem to have better luck with getting to chords on the classical guitar compared to my fender acoustic guitar. Weird, but true. I have also learned that holding either guitar in the classical position, I get better with relief and find it easier to reach the chord.

So, I have no idea what kind of classical guitar I have. My father gave this to me and I have no idea how long he had. It is a Casa Ferrer and I was hoping to post a picture of the guitar on this thread in order to find out more about the guitar. I don't want to get going with this guitar and go backwards with my learning.

Thank you
Old 01-22-2017, 10:58 AM

Well, guess I don't know how to post a pic...... Or haven't been member long enough
Old 01-25-2017, 04:50 PM

Good post. I guess you're feeling better with the nylon because the strings have much less tension than steel ones. In the long run, I think you're going to benefit much more from nylon as you may end up putting a lot less strain on your hands.

About the guitar: never heard of it, but a quick Google search got me the links I'll post below. Apparently Casa Ferrer is in Granada, Spain and they make guitars since 1875! So what you got is a traditional Spanish guitar.

http://guitarreriacasaferrer.com/galeria.php

http://www.dreamguitars.com/builder/327-casa-ferrer/

I don't think this is a kind of guitar that could hold you back on your learning, quite the opposite IMO. Word of advice, which I believe many would agree with me: before blaming the guitar, try to work on your technique.
Old 01-26-2017, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodmbds View Post
Good post. I guess you're feeling better with the nylon because the strings have much less tension than steel ones. In the long run, I think you're going to benefit much more from nylon as you may end up putting a lot less strain on your hands.

About the guitar: never heard of it, but a quick Google search got me the links I'll post below. Apparently Casa Ferrer is in Granada, Spain and they make guitars since 1875! So what you got is a traditional Spanish guitar.

http://guitarreriacasaferrer.com/galeria.php

http://www.dreamguitars.com/builder/327-casa-ferrer/

I don't think this is a kind of guitar that could hold you back on your learning, quite the opposite IMO. Word of advice, which I believe many would agree with me: before blaming the guitar, try to work on your technique.
Thanks. Well said. I agree.... No guitar is at fault. I like easy rock and country so the classical is probably not the right guitar, but feels so much better in my hands at this point. I like strumming with my index finger better than a pick....just feels like I'm more connected to the guitar. Steel vs nylon, as far as flesh problems, is not an issue. My fingers are very rough and already broke in. Furthermore, I'm only interested in learning some campfire songs and maybe the beach at night. If I could learn about 10 songs I would be happy. Just having fun...

Jed
Old 01-26-2017, 06:45 PM

Location: New Zealand, South Island, way down toward the bottom!

Depending on the model/value of your guitar, you may want to re-think the campfire/beach plans. Some of the Casa Ferrer guitars are pretty valuable, and the ones I've handled were REALLY nice. You might want to see if you can post pictures of the label inside the guitar on this forum and maybe over at the delcamp forum, where there are people who probably know everything there is to know about these guitars.

Just as a possible point of interest, do you know if yours is a classical guitar or a flamenco guitar? From what little I know about Casa Ferrer, their reputation in Spain is more tied to their flamenco guitars than traditional classicals, thought they do make/sell both types across the full price spectrum.
Old 01-26-2017, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dosland View Post
Depending on the model/value of your guitar, you may want to re-think the campfire/beach plans. Some of the Casa Ferrer guitars are pretty valuable, and the ones I've handled were REALLY nice. You might want to see if you can post pictures of the label inside the guitar on this forum and maybe over at the delcamp forum, where there are people who probably know everything there is to know about these guitars.

Just as a possible point of interest, do you know if yours is a classical guitar or a flamenco guitar? From what little I know about Casa Ferrer, their reputation in Spain is more tied to their flamenco guitars than traditional classicals, thought they do make/sell both types across the full price spectrum.
Unless I'm missing something, I cannot post a pick.

I got the Casa Ferrer when my dad recently died. He told my step-mother he wanted me to have it. I never knew he had it. She said he had for many, many years. It's old---how old, dont know. He played electric and banjo. So, when she dug it out of the closet, I had no idea what to expect. It's in perfect shape, no marks and has a great sound. It won't ever leave the house because it came from my dad. I will try to get a picture of it up.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical