The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments

Old 01-01-2016, 10:10 PM
AGF Owner & Founder

Default Polycarbonate Uke from Outdoor Ukulele

I just played this brilliant little Ukulele that sounded good and was nearly transparent. I had never seen this material used for string instruments before and was wondering if anyone had seen an acoustic guitar built from this stuff? A transparent acoustic.... just think of the possibilities (and great puns we can come up with)

JR
Old 01-02-2016, 09:44 AM

Plastic ukes are nothing new - they were a staple of the five-and-dime stores in the 50's/early-60's - and Mario Maccaferri (of Selmer fame) made a line of high-quality, upscale plastic instruments (steel- and nylon-string guitars, violins, ukes) in the early-50's that unfortunately found themselves relegated to toy stores, when musicians of the day failed to take them seriously; while the bulk of these early instruments were opaque, I recall at least one uke from the late-50's made of transparent red plastic (my first case of GAS, BTW). If it's reasonably durable it could be a viable alternative to the POS entry-level ukes at the bottom end of the market...
Old 01-02-2016, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve DeRosa View Post
If it's reasonably durable it could be a viable alternative to the POS entry-level ukes at the bottom end of the market...
That's a little strong. My Fluke is a great instrument. Some may not like the aesthetic, but if it's resonant, LOUD, has great intonation and action, it's a great instrument. No reason someone can't figure out a poly top that would work as well a poly back and sides can.

For the record the first generation square neck models were not a hit with players. This one is different from that one.

Here's a review of the original

and the new one

Old 01-03-2016, 02:00 PM

I love the Fluke ukes - I'm talking about the crap that sells for about one-tenth of what your Fluke cost new, that all the big-box stores (as well as Toys-R-Us) sell like crazy every Christmas...
Old 01-03-2016, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.R. Rogers View Post
I just played this brilliant little Ukulele that sounded good and was nearly transparent. I had never seen this material used for string instruments before and was wondering if anyone had seen an acoustic guitar built from this stuff? A transparent acoustic.... just think of the possibilities (and great puns we can come up with)

JR
Very cool idea. I definitely need to try one of these. Thanks for posting JR.

2014 Pono N30 DC EIR/Spruce crossover
2009 Pono koa parlor (NAMM prototype)
2018 Maton EBG808TEC
2014 Hatcher Greta 13 fret cutaway in EIR/cedar
2017 Hatcher Josie fan fret mahogany
1973 Sigma GCR7 (OM model) rosewood and spruce
2014 Rainsong OM1000N2
....and about 5 really nice tenor ukuleles at any given moment
Old 01-03-2016, 05:19 PM

I've had an outdoor soprano for a couple of years. Took it up to Canada on a trip and it served me well. I do wish it had metal frets though.

1998 Very Sweet Wife
2000 Cute Daughter (Grand Concert)
2005 Handsome Son (Dreadnought)
2007 Lovely Daughter (Parlor)
2017 Cute Puppy (Duke the Uke)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments