The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 03-10-2010, 05:02 PM

Wow, some great suggestions here, guys. I have a filled 3-ring binder for worship music, and was thinking of creating the same for all "other" tunes. But the chordie suggestion is really cool, as is an excel sheet. Thanks for the thoughts!

Edward
Old 03-10-2010, 05:06 PM

I guess I must be a minority. After playing for over 20 years, I don't have a list anymore although I used to have a list.
Old 03-11-2010, 07:19 AM

I always have a mental list going. But probably need to get a bit more serious about my "to learn" list and get it on paper and organized.
Old 03-12-2010, 04:26 AM

I have used Excel Spreadsheets,Access databases and even some of the more recent web based task / list managers. The Access database I created even allowed me to track each time I practiced a song and set a time span to review again. Overbuilt but helpful when joining a band and needing to learn 25-30 songs. I don't use it anymore

I keep coming back to the spreadsheet lists though
Old 03-12-2010, 09:03 AM

I keep a spreadsheet for songs I would do in my live set. I list the title, mood (uptempo, mid, low), time, and a rating of performance-readiness. It's constatntly being reevaluated and added to. As for the rating, a zero is a song I would like to learn but really haven't started with; only threes and fours get played for the public. A song that has been a zero or one too long usually gets moved to a second sheet affecionately titled "Back Burner".
One thing I like about the spreadsheet is the ability to sort by different criteria and add up times.
Old 03-12-2010, 10:20 AM

I've made lists since I started playing guitar. It works, to some degree. But it's disheartening to run across a hand written list I made in the 1970's and still see tunes I haven't learned that I wanted to and would still like to. Oh well.

Nowadays, I keep "Active Repertoire" and "Goal Repertoire" lists, categorized by genre and guitar type. I whittle away at the goal list while trying to keep up the active list. It's a struggle. But fun.
Old 03-12-2010, 10:47 AM

I not only have a list, I have a playlist on my iPod of versions of those songs on my list, and I play them when I'm in the car. There's about 25 on the list, and many/most are nearly learned. I don't struggle with the instrument, but learning the lyrics seems to get harder with every passing year.
Old 03-13-2010, 07:04 PM
The Plucky Comic Relief

I am in the 3 list crowd. I try to have a list of the songs I know, a list of the ones I'd like to learn, and a list of what I've played at various venues - including what reaction I receive for/from a song and any requests I had to learn a particular song or artist. Oops, I also try to keep a list for any upcoming show/shows I'm doing so I can practice my entire show in real time to make notes for my between-song commentary as ideas pop into my head. That's 4 lists! Yikes!

"I know that you believe that you understood what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."
- Robert McCloskey
Old 03-13-2010, 07:18 PM

I never used to, but now that I'm working on a project with another performer, I have been given a list of songs not only to learn, but ones that I already play that I need to learn to not play in my own weird way. I'm not the kind of guy who counts out beats in his head and I make the changes when they feel right to me. I'm told that I play with good feel, but some of the songs I need to learn "correctly" are driving me a little loopy.

That which is good or great makes itself known, no matter how loud the clamor of denial. -- Theodore F. MacManus

I've got a fever and the only prescription is more cowbell -- Christopher Walken
Old 03-15-2010, 05:14 AM

I'm a spreadsheet guy myself. I create a new sheet for each gig I do, start with a list of about 60 or so possibles, and try to boil that down to the two or three sets that are required for that particular gig.

I don't like to repeat myself too much, so maybe only include the ones that went down really well and the usual singalong songs to finish the night (I feel that people only ever remember the last few numbers, so if they've all been singing along with a smile on their face, they'll wake up the next day thinking I played a really good gig!).

I also have a main list of about 400 or so songs that I've tried playing live, or intend to get round to playing live. I maybe should apply Dark Eyed Junko's rating system, to get this list into a more manageable/realistic state. And there's not many on that list that I could perform without having a copy of the tab at hand to jog my memory - not to read from word for word, chord for chord, just a gentle nudge.

Some good ideas going on in this thread for all us compulsive list makers!
Old 03-15-2010, 05:43 AM

Great thread!

I have a folder on my computer that contains a bunch of text files, some are just empty files with the title and artist of a song I want to learn, others contain lyrics and maybe chords. It's pretty messy.

Then I have another folder named 'songsheets'. when I'm trying to learn a song I put it into an excel sheet with 8 columns, and use that to lay out the lyrics and chords in a way that I (and any willing campfire singers) can follow, preferably on one page. I print a couple of copies and slip them into plastic pockets in a ring binder. The ring binder is divided into two sections, ones I am confident with and ones that are works in progress.

I've found that other folks are a lot more willing to join in if I can give them a copy of the words and chords!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write