The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 01-15-2018, 05:28 PM

The Frog and Toad have done total tonal justice to your new git!! Crazy good.....and , what a looker! Congrats and looking forward to any reviews you might care to share down the road.
2014 Doerr Legacy
2013 Bamburg FSC-
2002 Flammang 000 12 fret
2000 McCollum Grand Auditorium

Old 01-16-2018, 07:40 AM

I enjoyed those videos very much. The jupitar sure does cut through when playing the duet! Visually and sonically stunning Mike and Ben.
Old 01-21-2018, 09:48 PM
Lovin' nice guitars...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomB'sox View Post
I enjoyed those videos very much. The jupitar sure does cut through when playing the duet! Visually and sonically stunning Mike and Ben.
Thanks Tom. If you like videos, you'll likely love this one. Ben really did this video to satisfy an urging that I had, but I think it provides a nice comparison for all of us between Spruce and Redwood. These are both brand new guitars completed within a week or two of each other. They are the same size, just with different woods...one with Spruce over Rosewood, and the other with Redwood over Rosewood.

I find it interesting that Ben's process helps him complete guitars in such a short time. In the time since I met him in mid-November, he has completed both of these beauties, has another (Bantam size with some sweet black and white ebony) in the finishing process, not to mention Tom's guitar is well under way. You gotta hand it to someone who knows his system well enough and dedicates himself to moving things along.

Enough, enough jabber already LOL. Here's the video. Enjoy two pretty special guitars, and a guy who has some pretty sweet chops as well!

Woody (aka: Mike)

FOR SALE: Kinnaird Brazilian!!
Old 01-22-2018, 12:12 AM
Charter Member

Beautiful guitar, and fantastic videos !! Congratulations and thanks for sharing.
1974 Alvarez/Yairi CY120
2010 Baranik Parlor
2013 Circa OM-18
2014 Claxton OM Traditional
2014 Blackbird Rider
Old 01-22-2018, 07:15 AM

That video is interesting for sure. I actually posted it on my thread also, but it was just a facebook link at that time so not sure how many people noticed it. I think the Jupitar is sounding great in this video, sustain, articulate, loud, and yet a darker more mellow sound overall, IMO. Congrats!

Last edited by TomB'sox; 01-22-2018 at 07:45 AM.
Old 01-22-2018, 10:24 AM

Thanks for posting...loving Ben's videos! He offers so much thought and wisdom on his approach and knowledge of his craft. What a great personality!
Regards,
fred
2014 Doerr Legacy
2013 Bamburg FSC-
2002 Flammang 000 12 fret
2000 McCollum Grand Auditorium

Old 01-22-2018, 10:48 AM

Gorgeous instrument with a wonderful sound! Thanks for posting this. And congratulations!!!

beth
Old 01-27-2018, 05:03 PM
Lovin' nice guitars...

Ok everyone. I have been out of town with a death in the family for most of this week and just got back late today. As such, I've been deficient in "finishing" this thread with the info everyone wants to know... which is "how is it in person??" In fact, several people have reached out to me directly and asked about this guitar.

So, in the interest of answering those people and filling all of you in, what I can say about this guitar is pretty much what you'd expect...ie: it is prettier in person than it is in the pictures. You've heard the tone and since I certainly can't play like Ben, and frankly we need not rehash what has already been established by the videos. Also, you've seen the pictures and they were hi-res closeup detailed pics; but I can honestly say that what you haven't seen is just how perfect Ben's work is.

So let me fill in a few blanks from an up close and personal perspective:

1) The miters are perfect.
2) The lines are perfect.
3) The finish is absolutely stunning and is by far as good of a finish as I've ever seen on any guitar.
4) The setup is superb...just what you'd expect from a player like Ben.
5) Everything is simply just "spot on"!!

I'm gushing with appreciation for the product he builds. I think Ben is truly one of the best in the business (and FAST too!!), not to mention that his guitars are priced very reasonably in comparison to other comparable builders of note. Simply said, Ben is a class act. Super fun to work with, and very creative in his approach to everything. I LOVE to talk with him on the phone because he is always just a HOOT. For those who doesn't know, Ben creates a video for virtually every guitar he builds, so there is a TON of evidence on Youtube regarding the quality of his guitars and the tone they deliver.

So let me conclude by saying that I think anyone who has Ben build a custom guitar will be ecstatic with the results.

Woody (aka: Mike)

FOR SALE: Kinnaird Brazilian!!
Old 01-27-2018, 07:08 PM
AGF Sponsor

Default Uhhhh, I'm blushing here....

Quote:
Originally Posted by invguy921 View Post
Ok everyone. I have been out of town with a death in the family for most of this week and just got back late today. As such, I've been deficient in "finishing" this thread with the info everyone wants to know... which is "how is it in person??" In fact, several people have reached out to me directly and asked about this guitar.

So, in the interest of answering those people and filling all of you in, what I can say about this guitar is pretty much what you'd expect...ie: it is prettier in person than it is in the pictures. You've heard the tone and since I certainly can't play like Ben, and frankly we need not rehash what has already been established by the videos. Also, you've seen the pictures and they were hi-res closeup detailed pics; but I can honestly say that what you haven't seen is just how perfect Ben's work is.

So let me fill in a few blanks from an up close and personal perspective:

1) The miters are perfect.
2) The lines are perfect.
3) The finish is absolutely stunning and is by far as good of a finish as I've ever seen on any guitar.
4) The setup is superb...just what you'd expect from a player like Ben.
5) Everything is simply just "spot on"!!

I'm gushing with appreciation for the product he builds. I think Ben is truly one of the best in the business (and FAST too!!), not to mention that his guitars are priced very reasonably in comparison to other comparable builders of note. Simply said, Ben is a class act. Super fun to work with, and very creative in his approach to everything. I LOVE to talk with him on the phone because he is always just a HOOT. For those who doesn't know, Ben creates a video for virtually every guitar he builds, so there is a TON of evidence on Youtube regarding the quality of his guitars and the tone they deliver.

So let me conclude by saying that I think anyone who has Ben build a custom guitar will be ecstatic with the results.
Mike , It was an absolute pleasure working with you. Aside from the fact that you make me sound far more interesting than I am, I really appreciate you taking the time to post this build and sort of introduce me around the AGF. What a cool forum. I can't believe I've gone all these years without hooking in. Thanks very much!

I am so happy that the Jupitar turned out the way it did, and that you are happy with it. I believe I'm entering my Golden Period with the EllieBelle model. All the little refinements are coming together, and I am very pleased with how they are consistently sounding.

Also thanks to everyone who chimed in and kept this thread going. I really dig this community of like minded insane guitarheads. Cheers!
Old 01-27-2018, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilbornGuitars View Post
Mike , It was an absolute pleasure working with you. Aside from the fact that you make me sound far more interesting than I am, I really appreciate you taking the time to post this build and sort of introduce me around the AGF. What a cool forum. I can't believe I've gone all these years without hooking in. Thanks very much!

I am so happy that the Jupitar turned out the way it did, and that you are happy with it. I believe I'm entering my Golden Period with the EllieBelle model. All the little refinements are coming together, and I am very pleased with how they are consistently sounding.

Also thanks to everyone who chimed in and kept this thread going. I really dig this community of like minded insane guitarheads. Cheers!
Thanks for sharing your insight and being a part of the AGF community!
Old 01-31-2018, 04:58 PM

Ben and I met at the last HGF, and I can vouch for the quality of both his guitars and his character! Methinks his low profile is due to a steady demand for his work. I can't wait to see how this one comes together!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop