The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments

Old 10-01-2015, 03:22 PM

Default Dean Heirloom Resonators

Any feedback on these?

I'm looking at buying the Brass version and wondered if anyone here owned one or had played one.

Thanks,

JJ
Les Paul Studio 2016
The touch of a blacksmith

Treebeard: “Some of my kin look just like trees now, and need something great to rouse them; and they speak only in whispers."
Old 10-01-2015, 06:03 PM

I don't own either, but I have played both. A friend owns the brass version, and he is pretty happy with it. It needed some set up work and a replacement cone to get its best tone. (Not unusual for low-end and mid-level resonator guitars). At these price points, there is some variability in quality control. Some are stellar, and some are marginal. I would not buy one without trying it first, or would make sure the seller has a good return policy. But if I were looking for a budget resonator guitar, this would be the leading candidate. For me it is a niche instrument, and I cannot justify the price of a National.

And FWIW, the copper is very cool looking. There are a lot of brass reso's out there, but only Dean has the copper. My personal preference.
Old 10-02-2015, 07:04 AM

Thanks Earl. Great info and very helpful. I was torn between the copper and brass and liked the idea of owning something a bit different. As you suggested, I will look to find someone who has them in stock to play before buying.

Thanks again,

JJ
Les Paul Studio 2016
The touch of a blacksmith

Treebeard: “Some of my kin look just like trees now, and need something great to rouse them; and they speak only in whispers."
Old 01-21-2016, 08:33 AM

Default Dean Resonator

Good morning,I just joined the forum so I'm 3 months late! I bought a Dean brass body used that the first guy paid for a cone upgrade,and a lipstick pickup it sounds good and is a fun change was a decent price $500.00 I don't know the cone price but UPS or Fedx isn't cheap and the thing is heavy! I like the sound difference it ain't like my Martin!😃
Old 01-22-2016, 06:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl49 View Post
I don't own either, but I have played both. A friend owns the brass version, and he is pretty happy with it. It needed some set up work and a replacement cone to get its best tone. (Not unusual for low-end and mid-level resonator guitars). At these price points, there is some variability in quality control. Some are stellar, and some are marginal. I would not buy one without trying it first, or would make sure the seller has a good return policy. But if I were looking for a budget resonator guitar, this would be the leading candidate. For me it is a niche instrument, and I cannot justify the price of a National.

And FWIW, the copper is very cool looking. There are a lot of brass reso's out there, but only Dean has the copper. My personal preference.
The Republics (fairly inexpensive) are available in distresed copper.

http://republicguitars.com/shop/high...e-7107-14-fret

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments