The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 09-19-2017, 07:40 PM
Charter Member

Default Build Thread: Hatcher Greta

The story of how I came to ask Mark Hatcher to build a Greta for me is worth telling. Many of you may remember back in early July 2017. Dennis Lair (Cigarfan) sold 8 amazing guitars to fund a new build. I'm a huge Santa Cruz Guitar fan. Of all the guitars I've sold, the Santa Cruz D12 is the only one I wish I could get back. Amidst those 8 guitars, Dennis had a gorgeous D12 that I was fortunate to snag at a very fair price. Dennis packed and ship the guitar and it arrives! I rush home to unpack my beautiful new (to me) Santa Cruz D12 . . . except when I opened the box, I found a guitar I'd never seen before. It was unbelievably gorgeous, Cedar over Walnut, 13 frets, luxury bling out the wazoo. Clearly a mistake, the first thing I did was snap a quick picture with my iPhone and send a note to Dennis. In a very typical Dennis response, I get a reply in minutes: "Oh crap! That's a Hatcher Greta!" He'd mixed up two guitars. My D12 went to a buyer in Florida and I got the Greta.

What followed is how this journey began. I tuned up that Greta and played it. Not only was it the most beautiful guitar I'd ever seen, it was the most beautiful guitar I'd ever heard. I was forever ruined for any other guitar. Now I'm "November" on Mark's build schedule. I've asked Mark to build a very similar guitar for me, though using his amazing artistry, personalize it specifically for me. Let's start the build thread with the "reference" guitar; the one I received in error.

Last edited by NCBluesman; 09-19-2017 at 08:20 PM.
Old 09-19-2017, 08:39 PM

Haha, I had heard that story first hand from Dennis....I did not know whether to laugh or cry nor how mad either of the two recipients would be...now look how it worked out, you have your Santa Cruz and are now soon to have a Hatcher to boot....I'd say it worked out well for you, Dennis and Mark! Awesome!
Old 09-19-2017, 09:07 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomB'sox View Post
Haha, I had heard that story first hand from Dennis....I did not know whether to laugh or cry nor how mad either of the two recipients would be...now look how it worked out, you have your Santa Cruz and are now soon to have a Hatcher to boot....I'd say it worked out well for you, Dennis and Mark! Awesome!
Both buyers were very cool about it. Fortunately, the guy expecting the Greta hadn't yet opened the box! He slapped the address label Dennis provided and dropped it off at FedEx. I felt badly for Dennis since his guitars were priced somewhat below market and he ended up having to pay shipping twice!

Me, after I tuned the Greta up and played it a while, I called Dennis. That's when I learned how much the Great cost and that he advertised it as mint condition. I then carefully loosened the strings and packaged the guitar up for shipment to its rightful owner!

Yes, I would say that Mark, Dennis and I all made out pretty well, all in all.
Old 09-20-2017, 02:52 AM
Music soothes the soul!

Oh, I don't know. Things turned out OK but I sure am embarrassed about the shipping debacle! I will think very carefully before selling 8 guitars at once ever again!

And you know I never heard a peep from the guy who finally got his Hatcher Greta. Weird!
Old 09-20-2017, 03:42 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by cigarfan View Post
Oh, I don't know. Things turned out OK but I sure am embarrassed about the shipping debacle! I will think very carefully before selling 8 guitars at once ever again!

And you know I never heard a peep from the guy who finally got his Hatcher Greta. Weird!
Hey Dennis,

That fiver is in the mail!

Mark

“Let me make the songs of a nation, and I care not who makes its laws.”. Andrew Fletcher
Old 09-20-2017, 04:07 AM
Music soothes the soul!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Hatcher View Post
Hey Dennis,

That fiver is in the mail!

Mark
Works for me! Thanks Mark!
Old 09-20-2017, 08:22 PM

Default mixup

Dennis, I have had that happen to me before. I don't sell many things and have learned now to NEVER ship two items in the same day. Heck with the shipping costs, it's the embarrassment and the resultant confusion. Lucky it wasn't guitars that I did this to.

Fay OM Sinker Redwood/Tiger Myrtle
Sexauer L00 Adk/Magnolia For Sale
Hatcher Jumbo Bearclaw/"Bacon" Padauk
Goodall Jumbo POC/flamed Mahogany
Appollonio 12 POC/Myrtle
MJ Franks Resonator, all Australian Blackwood
Goodman J45 Lutz/fiddleback Mahogany
Blackbird "Lucky 13" - carbon fiber
'31 National Duolian
+ many other stringed instruments.
Old 09-21-2017, 09:08 AM
Charter Member

What a serendipitous chain of events! Congratulations on your build. I'm tuned in!!!
Old 09-21-2017, 09:13 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nootis View Post
What a serendipitous chain of events! Congratulations on your build. I'm tuned in!!!
Thank you!

Serendipitous indeed! I believe that receiving that guitar in error was the universe telling me I deserved a very special guitar from Mark Hatcher.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it!

ser·en·dip·i·ty - the occurrence and development of events by chance in a happy or beneficial way.
Old 09-21-2017, 07:17 PM
Charter Member

Default Top & Back

Mark has picked some really nice woods for my new Greta. I've asked for Cedar over Walnut, like the reference guitar I had the good fortune to play.

Here's the walnut back:

And the cedar top! Look how beautiful that top is! The uniformity and tightness of the grain.

Old 09-21-2017, 08:20 PM
Charter Member

Beautiful wood. Do you know what kind of walnut that is?
Old 09-21-2017, 11:16 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haasome View Post
Beautiful wood. Do you know what kind of walnut that is?
Black walnut, I believe.
Old 09-22-2017, 04:01 AM
Music soothes the soul!

Happy for you man! I'm sure Mark will do you right!

Beautiful woods!
Old 09-22-2017, 04:48 AM
AGF Sponsor

Yes, that is Eastern Black Walnut. I find it to be the most versital sounding of the walnuts. If anything it only lacks some of the color and flash of some of the other walnuts like Claro or Bastogne. This set has nothing to apologize for look wise though! Beautiful sets of Black Walnut are out there, you just to look harder to find them. This set is actually more brownish similar in color to the guitar Dennis had. When I took this photo I was showing off the figure so there is more reflection in there.

“Let me make the songs of a nation, and I care not who makes its laws.”. Andrew Fletcher
Old 09-22-2017, 06:47 AM
Music soothes the soul!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Hatcher View Post
.... When I took this photo I was showing off the figure so there is more reflection in there.
Ah yes, that camera magic! We know you well!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop