The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 09-17-2017, 01:50 PM

Default Amplification without Modification To Guitar

I am sure this has been talked and debated on here before. I am looking for a pickup to amplify a Webber OM that does not have a strap pin and I don't want to nor do O need to install one. Currently, I have used a Seymour Duncan Woody and can get a natural sound out of my Martin D18 and believe it or not if I want to I can get a dark archtop sound out of It. I USE only 1 amp...a Henriksen Jazzamp 10. It faithfully reproduces my archtop, teles and any acoustic I put through it.

The problem with the Woody is that it is too large to fit in the sound hole of the Webber OM. I don't want to have to modify the Woody or anything. Is their anything I can do without installing an end pin jack and then using one of the well known acoustic pickups?

Here is what the Woody sounds like on my D18...trying to reproduce both tones:

Natural
https://youtu.be/ptaXpV3cze

Archtop
https://youtu.be/LISxA_EwMng
Old 09-17-2017, 01:55 PM

Sure, (Shure?) use a mic on a stand.
Old 09-17-2017, 02:17 PM

A mic on a stand on stage requires you to be handcuffed to the stand.
Even then the sound quality and volume changes a great deal when you move even a little since mics have to be very close to the guitar to avoid feedback on stage.

Solution, this mic that clips on requiring no modification to the guitar.
I bought and love my DPA d:vote 4900G.
http://www.dpamicrophones.com/microp...one-for-guitar
video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A2_bBIgsH2Q

It's pricey at $619 but the sound is really natural, like a fine studio condenser ... which is what it is.
The price is easier to swallow because you only need one for all your guitars, and no installations to pay for.
It takes seconds to move it between guitars.
No batteries to fuss with, but it does need to be supplied with +48v phantom power.
DPA makes a zillion connectors so it works with all the brands of wireless transmitters.

My only complaint on stage (since I'm not a classical guitarist who sits still) is the clip must not be bumped or it may come loose.
Solution: a bit of black gaffer tape (or that blue painter's tape that leaves no residue) over the shaft of the clip and onto the side of the guitar.

This highly directional super-cardiod pick up pattern offers high gain before feedback for a mic.
You can control EQ by just moving it on it's goosneck, which also mitigates feedback.
As a performer I appreciate this quick easy control without having to reach down to navigate menus, push buttons, and turn knobs.

Last edited by Tico; 09-17-2017 at 04:41 PM.
Old 09-17-2017, 02:19 PM

http://www.ikmultimedia.com/mobile/p...acousticstage/

I haven't used one but it has a Mic that clips to the bottom of the soundhole and a preamp that goes on your belt.

Last edited by LukeW; 09-17-2017 at 02:20 PM. Reason: Fix url
Old 09-17-2017, 02:45 PM

Also there is the iSolo pickup

http://acousticguitar.com/gear-revie...obility-video/

and the schertler dyn-G

I never tried those, I am a fan of the DPA4099G (I have 2). If you have the budget and don't play loud it is really good.

Cuki
Yamaha FGX-412 (1998)

Gibson Les Paul Standard 1958 Reissue (2013)
Fender Stratocaster American Vintage 1954 (2014)
http://acousticir.free.fr/
Old 09-17-2017, 02:52 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grantgreen42 View Post
...Is their anything I can do without installing an end pin jack and then using one of the well known acoustic pickups?
...]
I recently became aware of an alternative that might suit your dilemma. I learned it from a bluegrass guitarist with a vintage Martin that he didn't wand to put an endpin hole into.

He installed a K&K pickup, and wired that to an onboard wireless transmitter that was velcroed to, I think, the inside of the end block. No holes, nothing showing externally.

The signal was picked up by the wireless receiver on his pedal board, and fed into his trusty ToneDexter. Kinda of neat magic trick for the audience I dare say.
James May Engineering
maker of the Ultra Tonic Pickup
Old 09-17-2017, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LukeW View Post
http://www.ikmultimedia.com/mobile/p...acousticstage/

I haven't used one but it has a Mic that clips to the bottom of the soundhole and a preamp that goes on your belt.

I have one of those and think it is fantastic! Easily moved between my guitars I don't want to drill or alter. The preamp has 10 anti feedback notches, but it IS still a mic, well at heart it is, so a loud gig would test it. But a solo performer with normal volumes - no brainer.

BluesKing777.
Old 09-17-2017, 10:02 PM

Default no holes barred

I sometimes use a tiny Myers condenser mike which fastens on with a suction cup and has a flexible wire leading tot he mike itself. When I can, I stuff the mike into the soundport for louder and better pickup and no feedback. This is usually used in conjunction with a mike on a stand (for other reasons) but can stand alone if needed. No mess, nothing permanent, moveable in seconds. Moisten the suction cup for better adhesion.

Fay OM Sinker Redwood/Tiger Myrtle
Sexauer L00 Adk/Magnolia For Sale
Hatcher Jumbo Bearclaw/"Bacon" Padauk
Goodall Jumbo POC/flamed Mahogany
Appollonio 12 POC/Myrtle
MJ Franks Resonator, all Australian Blackwood
Goodman J45 Lutz/fiddleback Mahogany
Blackbird "Lucky 13" - carbon fiber
'31 National Duolian
+ many other stringed instruments.
Old 09-18-2017, 05:22 AM

"Tico: Solution: a bit of black gaffer tape (or that blue painter's tape that leaves no residue) over the shaft of the clip and onto the side of the guitar."
Tico's totally right about getting Gaffers Tape. if you buy real Gaffers Tape, the kind used by film crews, it will be cloth backed, easy to tear into the size piece you need, and not leave any residue behind, as it's designed not to leave stickum behind. It will also hold much better than Blue Painters tape. Look around your city for a motion picture camera rental house, or search on line for Cinema Gaffers Tape. I find the 2 inch to be the right workable size. It's also perfect for taping your AC, guitar or pedal board cables to the floor so they don't get kicked, tripped over of pulled out, real Gaffers tape (black & lots of other colors including white) will leave all those cords clean when you wrap out. It's the good stuff. Do not use Duct Tape, that will leave adhesive residue stuck all over everything.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification