The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 09-16-2017, 12:24 PM
Anticipation Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Res Ipsa View Post
Where did your hear that? Did I miss that news while I've been under a rock?
Dont worry, LJ is just joking.
Old 09-16-2017, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonfields45 View Post
. . . . Also, there are three "architectures" of CF guitar construction; Emerald makes essentially an unbraced archtop, RainSong makes an unbraced flattop, and CA makes a braced flattop. There is no Martin D-28 to copy.
I don't know about the Emerald X20 & others, but the old X7 was slightly arched.

When the offset sound hole was introduced, the arch was replaced with a flat sound board.

I'm not sure if any of the other current Emerald models are arched.

Anyone??
Old 09-16-2017, 01:00 PM
Anticipation Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ac View Post
I don't know about the Emerald X20 & others, but the old X7 was slightly arched.

When the offset sound hole was introduced, the arch was replaced with a flat sound board.

I'm not sure if any of the other current Emerald models are arched.

Anyone??
I can only say that the Chimaera top is flat.
Old 09-16-2017, 01:04 PM

There may not be mass production yet, but awareness is increasing. Whenever I show up to a jam/workshop with my CA GX it's not unusual to get asked "Is that a Rainsong?". Increasing, but not fully there yet
Herrmann Weissenborn
Recording King RP-10
Recording King RG-35-SN Lapsteel
Maton 425 12-string
ESP 400 series telecaster
Eastman T485
Deering Americana Banjo
My Youtube
Old 09-16-2017, 01:13 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Long Jon View Post
Yes , I was sorry to hear about Gibson buying Emerald. Let's hope There will be no change to their famous customer service.
It wasn't Gibson ! It was Breedlove....
Old 09-16-2017, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acousticado View Post
I can only say that the Chimaera top is flat.
I don't mean arched like an L-5, but just enough curve that given the materials braces (CA) or a thick spacer (RainSong) are not required. Depending on the CF build-up it might be quite subtle. The last Emerald in my hands directly, an X7-OS, was some time ago. However, in a different thread, someone showed the K&K installation in their new Emerald and apparently there was enough curve near the bridge that they added sand-able material (CF is not a good choice to sand) to make a flat surface. Otherwise thick CA glue would fill any coarseness due to the unfinished 2x2 twill CF interior.
IR Demo, read the description too: https://youtu.be/SELEE4yugjE
My duo's website and my email... [email protected]

Jon Fields
Old 09-16-2017, 02:54 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Yes , I was sorry to hear about Gibson buying Emerald. Let's hope There will be no change to their famous customer service.
Blasphemy! I am all for humor, but I am now readying the pitchforks and torches - prepare to be boarded!. I hope Sean reads this and puts your newly ordered guitar on the "no particular hurry" list!

Old 09-16-2017, 03:04 PM

What is missing is the Gibson L-5, Martin D-28 or Fender Telecaster of CF guitars. Something so good and popular that it becomes a target of all guitar manufacturers. Maybe it's too late; or maybe CF is too expensive or too ugly (I only own CF guitars, but my wood guitar friends are not overly fond of the looks).

Jon Fields
Old 09-16-2017, 03:19 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Also, there are three "architectures" of CF guitar construction; Emerald makes essentially an unbraced archtop, RainSong makes an unbraced flattop, and CA makes a braced flattop. There is no Martin D-28 to copy.
My Emerald X-20 is quite flat on the soundboard...and it sounds great.
Old 09-16-2017, 03:43 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
What is missing is the Gibson L-5, Martin D-28 or Fender Telecaster of CF guitars. Something so good and popular that it becomes a target of all guitar manufacturers. Maybe it's too late; or maybe CF is too expensive or too ugly (I only own CF guitars, but my wood guitar friends are not overly fond of the looks).
This post makes me think of something I was once told...

We had put our Corsair sailing trimaran up for sale and ordered a powercruiser. As I was signing the paperwork for the new boat, I said to the mfg rep: "I am going to lose all my sailing friends."

He said, "You'll make new friends."

I think you need to make new friends, Jon. None of my guitar friends have said anything less than complimentary about my carbon fiber guitars. Of course, it might be the fact that I quit caring a long time ago about what someone else thinks of my choice... guitars, boats, furry family members, motorcycles... and anything else my wife says is OK.

For the record, I think my limited edition Shorty is kinda cool, with the sharks and the emerald colored abalone rosette. My Emeralds are just gorgeous to this beholder - the X7 is sleek, with the carbon fiber showing all around. The X20 woody takes my breath away.

And for more of the record, my sailing buddies are still my buddies... some were actually curious about that "other kind of boat."

Old 09-16-2017, 06:24 PM
Guest 928

Jonf;

I am with you; where are cf electric guitars? Alistair has made a few, but, as yet, we do not have an iconic CF electric. Well, other than the one that Alistair is now making. I'm waiting with bated breath.
Old 09-16-2017, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Jim View Post
Blasphemy! I am all for humor, but I am now readying the pitchforks and torches - prepare to be boarded!. I hope Sean reads this and puts your newly ordered guitar on the "no particular hurry" list!

Sorry Jim, you're right, I crossed a line there and may have caused a lot of distress to some unsuspecting readers.

My sincere apologies to all those affected by my thoughtless jape.

I confess I have never had any dealings with the Gibson company, any of the negative gossip is only what I've gleaned from this forum.

In fact, GET THIS, I have never even played a Gibson acoustic !

I have played several Martins , bought/flipped about 7 still got two of 'em. Love them dearly.
I have nothing against the Gibby, played a couple of Les Ps, (great sound and look, but apparently filled with lead shot).

I really love the look of J45s and L00s , the famous sunbursts and the sound that many artists get from them,
just never handled one, they are perhaps not so common in the UK and none of my pals seem to have one.
Old 09-17-2017, 06:04 AM

Quote:
Yes , I was sorry to hear about Gibson buying Emerald.
Ha... good one... and it's not even the first day of April.
McPherson: Early Kevin Michael Proto
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 09-17-2017, 12:13 PM

Quote:
..maybe CF is too expensive or too ugly (I only own CF guitars, but my wood guitar friends are not overly fond of the looks).
I think my Rainsongs are gorgeous. The attention to detail is unbelievable, the way the fibers catch the light, the unidirectional tops... Some people just can't appreciate the beauty of a thing for what it is. CF is classy, understated, like a tuxedo.
Old 09-17-2017, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiG50 View Post
I think my Rainsongs are gorgeous. The attention to detail is unbelievable, the way the fibers catch the light, the unidirectional tops... Some people just can't appreciate the beauty of a thing for what it is. CF is classy, understated, like a tuxedo.
For something to be mass market....the masses have got to want one :~).

Jon Fields

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber