The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 09-12-2017, 08:36 AM
Charter Member

Default Powered floor monitor for singer-songwriter?

I learned playing bars in my youth that I'm an OK singer when I can hear myself and not so good when I can't. In other words I don't have absolute perfect pitch but have good relative pitch as long as I can hear my guitar and vocals. I'm seeking advice on a good personal monitor. I'm willing to pay for quality.

I've put together a small PA and am now shopping for a small powered monitor. In the past I've found that small personal monitors tend to be under powered when you're playing a rowdy bar. Most of the current products appear to be in that category. I was considering a small QSC speaker then I found an alternative that looks pretty good.

At this point I'm close to pulling the trigger on a Schertler Teddy via an internet store.

Is anyone here using a Teddy? If yes how is the dispersion angle for a seated performer? Is anyone using a QSC K8.2?

Last edited by Al Acuff; 09-12-2017 at 09:06 AM.
Old 09-12-2017, 01:58 PM

I'll bet it's fantastic. I love my Schertler Unico.

That said, the little Behringer B205D that I'm using for this purpose is great. Loud as heck, sits on the floor or on a mic stand, two channels, 48V phantom power, pass through XLR, no wall wart.
Old 09-12-2017, 01:59 PM

I played a show where they used Yamaha DBR10s and the flat response was great. I really need to hear myself when I sing too, and so I've used my 12" MSR400s and really like the results. Funny/not funny my monitor mix is usually as loud as FOH in smaller venues.
Old 09-12-2017, 02:17 PM

Just a suggestion, if you can get use to In Ear Monitors, they do help with some issues, including feedback and less to haul around. I know it's not a powered monitor, but something to consider.
Old 09-12-2017, 02:43 PM

Hey Al,

I'm not super familiar with Schertler's offerings, but if that thing is 200 watts RMS, it should have plenty of power and headroom for you to hear yourself in most situations. It looks pretty cool and I'm sure you'd probably like it.

As far as in ears go, they do have a lot of advantages...

No actual floor wedge
No floor space taken up
No extra speaker to transport
No mic feedback concerns, etc.

And if you're an acoustic or solo performer who primarily performs either seated or in the same general area while standing, you don't have to get the much more expensive wireless in-ears because you're not roaming around a stage or performing any "pointy headstock" acrobatics.

If you already use a small portable mixer, all you need is a decent set of wired in ears and a small personal in ear amplifier to power them. You can just send a monitor mix off of your mixer through the small personal in-ear amp and directly into your ears via the ear buds.

I have no idea how this compares price wise to buying something like that wedge you are looking at, but you could get these for no more than $150 and you would have what you need for a decent, "starter" in ear solution, and they're pretty budget friendly... just a thought.

-Shure SE215 in ears $99
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/SE215

-Behringer Powerplay P1 personal in-ear monitor/amplifier $49.99
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/PowerPlay1
Old 09-12-2017, 02:56 PM
Charter Member

The Teddy looks like nice monitor ,but you might also want to consider the Line 6 Stage Source L2 m or L2t /with mixer as It can double as a floor monitor or as an additional PA speaker either with your other speakers or by itself in a small venue or tight performance area where you might be able get away with one PA mounted up and behind you to the side .

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/SSL2M

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4
Old 09-12-2017, 03:17 PM
Charter Member

Thanks for your suggestions. In ear monitors probably sound great but the problem with in ear monitors is they isolate you. Between songs I talk with the audience and take requests. I need to hear the customers as well as hear myself.
Old 09-12-2017, 04:07 PM

Al, given the price of the Teddy, I might try the QSC 8.2 first. Both should give you good performance as floor monitors, but the QSC also makes an excellent main. So, it's more a question of extended utility.
Old 09-12-2017, 04:13 PM

Other options worth consideration:

Yorkville NX10c
db Technologies FLEXSYS FM8, 10, or 12
Alto SXM112a

If you've got the scratch: RCF NX 10-SMA

The Alto gets surprisingly good reviews and word-of-mouth for a monitor at it's price point.

No direct experience with the first three. This is just gleaned from my own investigations. I have used the RCF NX 10-SMA (courtesy of a friend who is also a local sound-provider who has run sound for my band a couple of times). If I could afford it, I'd get several.

Another way to do this is to get a good small combo amp like the Fishman Artist. I have one of those and have used it as a personal monitor in several contexts. Nothing at all wrong with it for that!

Louis
Old 09-12-2017, 05:26 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by martingitdave View Post
Al, given the price of the Teddy, I might try the QSC 8.2 first. Both should give you good performance as floor monitors, but the QSC also makes an excellent main. So, it's more a question of extended utility.
Yes versatility and cost point to the K8.2 as the first choice. What interests me about the Teddy wedge is that it uses a coaxial speaker. I'm an audiophile and have found that I like the extra clarity a phase coherent coax speaker gives you.
Old 09-12-2017, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Acuff View Post
Yes versatility and cost point to the K8.2 as the first choice. What interests me about the Teddy wedge is that it uses a coaxial speaker. I'm an audiophile and have found that I like the extra clarity a phase coherent coax speaker gives you.
Just a note that all the speakers I mention in my earlier post are coaxial. There are several advantages.

Louis
Old 09-12-2017, 05:59 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lschwart View Post
Just a note that all the speakers I mention in my earlier post are coaxial. There are several advantages.

Louis
Thanks for pointing it out. I looked at the RCF NX 10-SMA and we're on the same page. I'd love one of those but the price and the weight are both a little over my budget.

After looking at the RCF NX 10-SMA the Schertler Teddy seems more affordable LOL

Doing mostly solo shows I seldom use a monitor, but sometimes... also if doing a duo show they can be a help. Primaries are K10's, I got a pair of K8's smaller and w' wider throw. Use that bolt w' rubber stopper idea and a piece of towel stuck under the front for a bit extra stability.

They work beautifully in this context and can double up on stands anytime.

Kris

I use an 8" coaxial speaker (DLM8) from Mackie as my monitor. It's a good speaker but the onboard mixer is a disaster for instruments.
Old 09-12-2017, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Acuff View Post
Thanks for pointing it out. I looked at the RCF NX 10-SMA and we're on the same page. I'd love one of those but the price and the weight are both a little over my budget.

After looking at the RCF NX 10-SMA the Schertler Teddy seems more affordable LOL
It is heavy, but that's because of how well it's built, and it's really a wonderful speaker. But, yes, pricey for this sort of application.

Louis

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification