The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 09-14-2017, 01:30 PM

I have a WS-1000, and a Blackbird Lucky 13. They do just fine in the volume department, and are louder (or at least more projective) than my wood guitars, which are mostly Taylor GA's. A friend has a DR-1000 and it IS louder than my other CF guitars. Sometimes, size matters. The Rainsong Jumbo must be a real cannon.....
Old 09-15-2017, 05:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryM View Post
Ted's right on, Martin Retro 12/53 heavy 1.5 Blue chip pick, outside playing fiddle tune leads and vocals with chords. Had to really dig in to be heard and playing that hard caused tension and made it hard to play fluid. Loudest guitar I heard was a Breedlove D it was Very Loud and cut thru the best Was plying with bass standup, mandolin ,fiddle, dobro. Sure felt like my APLE was just low in the mix
Having to dig in playing in a Bluegrass Jam is pretty standard technique. Especially when there's no amplification. Playing hard doesn't have to mean tension is an issue. That's something the "relax button" in your brain needs to work out. Also in this world of $30 picks it might be a sacrilege to play a cheaper one, but give a Large Fender heavy or medium pick a try during these jams and see if that doesn't increase the volume & crisp it up a tad. Also medium / heavy strings will be more along the line of the Bluegrass standard set up.
Just some thoughts
2012 RainSong H DR 1000(original owner)
2011 Gretsch Anniversary Model(original owner)
Mandolin- 1920's A-Style (unknown brand)
Mandolin- Fender Mandostrat
Banjo -2016 Gold Tone EBM-5+
Fender 2013- Strat
Old 09-15-2017, 10:04 AM

Thanks guys, funny thing last year there I was playing my oo18v I got from Ted and no problem other than worry about the weather. Taking everything into consideration ,may need to start taking two so I can choose depending on the weather.
Old 09-15-2017, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelvibe View Post
No Ted, don't suggest that. Should I ever get the chance to jam with Jerry M, I would still like to hear myself in the mix!
I guess you could always play a louder Dreadnought with a softer touch to quiet it down a little, but you can't play a smaller guitar louder

And about a dozen electrics

New/Old Gibby owners here UNITE! Let's see em!
Old 09-15-2017, 02:09 PM

Giving serious consideration to going back to a wood dread!
Old 09-15-2017, 03:11 PM

Quote:
I played a Hybrid Rainsong Dread and it was loud! Full and crisp without being harsh. I think it would easily hold it's own. Plus you can find them without electronics fairly easy, verses a custom order on almost all others styles.
Old 09-15-2017, 03:22 PM

Two inexpensive items I've found that increased volume on any guitar, and by a significant amount. First is GHS Phosphor Bronze strings in their True Medium gauge. The Monels you are using are not especially big on volume. Second is a 4mm John Pearse Fast Turtle pick that has has the edges re-beveled to an extreme speed bevel. The pick is by far, the loudest I ever found and it combines that volume with extreme clarity with only moderate right hand effort.
Old 09-15-2017, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Now, now Jerry.... there is no need to do anything rash like going back to (gasp)....wood.
There should be other options in the CF world that will work for you.
Old 09-15-2017, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted @ LA Guitar Sales View Post
Jerry, see if you can find a Rainsong Jumbo to try. It's by far the loudest CF available.
Got a matched set - JM1000 6-string and JM3000 12-string - and I'll vouch for Ted's assessment...
Old 09-15-2017, 08:45 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl49 View Post
Now, now Jerry.... there is no need to do anything rash like going back to (gasp)....wood.
There should be other options in the CF world that will work for you.
Yep. The right tool for the job. It isn't "RainSong" that isn't loud enough, it is that guitar in that situation. Sometimes, size does matter.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber