The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 09-17-2017, 10:43 PM

Default Agree with much...

I agree with lots that's being said, but...

We aren't very good at answering the question asked, perhaps.

Do you know what time it is? It's a yes or no question, not Cartier vs. Rolex! But many, many of us in this forum are fans of luthiers and find it hard to pick a good, 'custom' guitar from a builder that doesn't really build custom guitars (Martin)...so we find it hard to simply answer the question without giving that advice: pick a luthier, in fact, pick MY luthier!

Having said that, and having tried to simply answer the question at the first, I'm dying to add a few comments - like most of us have been. But the first might be that a good looking guitar simply sounds better! No, not really, but we THINK it does!

[When i first 'upgraded' from a D-18 to a D-35, I LOVED the rosewood, 'til i played it. For pure sound, I would have immediately traded back to my old D-18!]

Second, we always seem to compromise pure, unadulterated sound (as Rip calls it) "for responsiveness"...yeah we go for a 14 fret, or a cut-away, or a nice, skinny neck. So, at the end of the day, we ALL bend away from pure sound to pleasure our eyes, our hands, even our wallets... An expensive guitar just sounds better. Or does it?

A blind test is the only way to judge pure sound and I'll stand by my recommendation for that - a great sound w/ overtones from Martin. If/when the question is from ANY builder... Well, then, make mine Cartier!
Collings SJ Braz/Ger, 000-42Koa, UC3 Killer Koa
Jeffrey Yong's Seismic 2011 Japan Earthquake Tribute and a Quilt Mah "The Tree" Olson
Old 09-18-2017, 12:58 AM

I'm guessing from all the responses so far that none of them have played a Martin Grand J12-40E Special.
A big rosewood true jumbo body with 17" lower bout.
Overtones by the bucket full.
Responsive like you wouldn't believe.
Expensive you bet.
Here is the 12-string, I'm sure Martin will happily build you a 6-string version.

1972 - Takamine D-70
2014 - Alvarez ABT60 Baritone
2015 - Kittis RBJ-195 Jumbo
2012 - Dan Dubowski#61
2018 - Rickenbacker 4003 Fireglo
2020 - Gibson Custom Shop Historic 1957 SJ-200
2021 - Epiphone 'IBG' Hummingbird
Old 09-18-2017, 03:23 AM
AGF Sponsor

Hey Ben,

I saw from one of your earlier posts that you're here in the UK.

I'll second what some of the other responses have said - I think chasing Goodall/Lowden tone through the Martin custom shop has a high probability of ending in disappointment for you. I love the sound of, and have owned, Martin dreads and a Goodall Concert Jumbo - but I'd struggle to think of two guitars that sounded more dissimilar!

It can be harder to find particular guitars in the UK, but we do have two of the best high-end guitar stores in the world right here (both AGF sponsors). I'd highly recommend a visit to the Acoustic Music Company down in Brighton - Trevor has over 70 high-quality luthier-built guitars in stock - new and used, including at least one used Lowden and Goodall right now. You might find exactly what you want there - no waiting, no uncertainty!

Cheers,
David

Perfecting the interface between you and your guitar.
wolframslides.com
Endorsed by Martin Simpson and Tony McManus.
Old 09-18-2017, 08:33 AM

Thanks to all for your detailed replies. I'm certainly taking on board all of your comments, particularly those about actually going for a Goodall or Lowden (rather than trying to make a completely different guitar sound like one!). To be honest, I've been totally floored by a number of videos of Goodall guitars online (just listen to Matt at Eddie's Guitars play a Goodall Traditional 000 on YouTube, and tell me that isn't one of the most wonderful guitars you've ever heard!!). However - there is no main dealer in UK! Lowdens have a similar sound (and I should be supporting them as a UK company), but the Goodall is the exact sound I'm after.

Last edited by BenSherman; 09-18-2017 at 09:54 AM.
Old 09-18-2017, 09:07 AM

You can get what you want from a Martin custom ... this I know from experience. But, if you take Martin out of the equation and open yourself to other builders, your chances of success are greater. Several have made specific recommendations. I'll add to those and suggest looking into Larsons .. in my experience, you can get dryness, overtones and hang-in-the-air sustain as in vintage examples which are predominantly rosewood and red spruce, but also from reproductions from a handful of builders out there. Make it a point to seek out and play several ... you might find what you're looking for.
Old 09-18-2017, 09:55 AM

For maximum overtones...

Low damping dense rosewood back/sides.. Amazon, Cocobolo, or Honduras seems good here.

Scalloped bracing. I think I would shoot for one of the "authentic" or "vintage" patterns based on an older guitar.

Small "vintage pattern" maple bridge plate

Rosewood bridge - not ebony.

Strings wise - cleartones or some sort of super zingy strings. Many of the newer coated strings seem to produce a very bright zingy sound a for a whole lot longer than standard uncoated strings... My own opinion is that lighter strings tend to produce more overtones.

Last but not least - don't underestimate an effects pedal. I have heard several prominent acoustic guitarists (such as Adrian Legg) who use effects pedals to produce a ton of "overtones" in their acoustic performances.
Old 09-20-2017, 09:11 PM

Default Advice on Martin Custom Shop Guitar for Maximum Overtones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfram Slides View Post

... we do have two of the best high-end guitar stores in the world right here (both AGF sponsors). I'd highly recommend a visit to the Acoustic Music Company down in Brighton - Trevor has over 70 high-quality luthier-built guitars in stock - new and used, including at least one used Lowden and Goodall right now. You might find exactly what you want there - no waiting, no uncertainty!

Cheers,

David

I wholeheartedly agree with David concerning Trevor's shop in Brighton. Budget the better part of a day there and try some of the smaller custom luthiers' guitars as well.

I commissioned the sister to a wonderful Kinnaird walnut OM that Trevor's got there. And don't be afraid of walnut..Martin's built with claro walnut as well. Here it is:

Try it while you're there...and enjoy his wonderful shop!
Collings SJ Braz/Ger, 000-42Koa, UC3 Killer Koa
Jeffrey Yong's Seismic 2011 Japan Earthquake Tribute and a Quilt Mah "The Tree" Olson

Last edited by TuckerRE; 09-20-2017 at 10:52 PM.
Old 09-21-2017, 03:24 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfram Slides View Post
Hey Ben,

I saw from one of your earlier posts that you're here in the UK.

I'll second what some of the other responses have said - I think chasing Goodall/Lowden tone through the Martin custom shop has a high probability of ending in disappointment for you. I love the sound of, and have owned, Martin dreads and a Goodall Concert Jumbo - but I'd struggle to think of two guitars that sounded more dissimilar!

It can be harder to find particular guitars in the UK, but we do have two of the best high-end guitar stores in the world right here (both AGF sponsors). I'd highly recommend a visit to the Acoustic Music Company down in Brighton - Trevor has over 70 high-quality luthier-built guitars in stock - new and used, including at least one used Lowden and Goodall right now. You might find exactly what you want there - no waiting, no uncertainty!

Cheers,
David
Spot on David, you read my mind.

Ben, I have owned several great Martins and several really nice Goodalls. To me they are very different guitars. I have played a number of Lowdens and to my ears they are different again.

I once walked into a shop specifically to try a guitar by Judy Threet and came out of the shop GASing for a Baranik! Been a happy Baranik owner for 11 years now and I had never even heard of him before that shop visit.

So please, go to TAMCO, or wherever else you can get that has these guitars and play as many as you can. It may be a different brand again that finds your sweet spot, as happened for me.

And pre-owned is great! If you find you don’t bond with it or your tastes change (mine sure have) then you can sell it on without taking big hit.

Good luck,
Col

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop