The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Closed Thread

Old 09-07-2017, 06:47 AM

Captain Jim - you look like you're having way too much fun!
Old 09-07-2017, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Jim View Post
Van Morrison and Jimmy Buffett are not considered blue-grass or old-timey (their words) country music.
On the way back to the motorhome, Joan asked me, "Did their songs all sound the same to you?"
I'm always on the lookout for people to play acoustic with, and have joined the odd meetup group. There is a meetup here in Sydney called Bluegrass and Old-Timey music. I thought, great, I dabble in Bluegrass a little but I really like to play old tunes. You know, Skip James, Robert Johnson, Mississippi John Hurt, stuff like that. Seemed like it was all bluegrass to me and when I made enquiries about playing some of the "old-timey" stuff I like to play it didn't really go anywhere. . I realised after a while that there is "Bluegrass" and the music on which it is based, "Old-Timey" which (I think) is Appalachain (and sometimes Irish/Celtic) stuff. I may be wrong, but that's how I understand it. So they play both kinds, Bluegrass AND Old-Timey, and there is a difference, although the distinction is not always obvious, at least to my uneducated ears!!
Herrmann Weissenborn
Recording King RP-10
Recording King RG-35-SN Lapsteel
Maton 425 12-string
ESP 400 series telecaster
Eastman T485
Deering Americana Banjo
My Youtube
Old 09-14-2017, 04:24 PM
Charter Member

Getting close - we still have hundreds of miles to go before we are home, but we are back in the Lone Star State. You can tell we're back in Texas...

Yeah, we slow to 55 for school zones.

98 days out. Lots of beautiful and interesting places on this trip. Probably 4 or 5 days before we roll back into our driveway... if all goes as planned.

We are currently at a US Army Corps of Engineers park at a lake in central Texas (taking the "long way" home to stay clear of the hurricane affected southeast part of the state). Not another RV in sight.

It is currently 97º outside; cool and comfortable in the motorhome. Nice to know I could take the X7 out to play on the patio, but I think we'll all enjoy the views of the lake from our windows. I would say, "Until it cools off," but it is only supposed to get down to 70º tonight... and I will be asleep by the time that happens.

See you down the road!
Old 09-14-2017, 05:19 PM

LOL. 55 mph school zone. Gotta love Texas. I'm in a northern suburb of Ft. Worth. You're obviously heading way south. What's the final destination? Nice September heat wave right now, isn't it.
Old 09-14-2017, 08:05 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdawg View Post
LOL. 55 mph school zone. Gotta love Texas. I'm in a northern suburb of Ft. Worth. You're obviously heading way south. What's the final destination? Nice September heat wave right now, isn't it.
Our home is at the southern tip (aka: the Tropical Tip) - South Padre Island/Port Isabel area. We are taking our time these last few days to let this heat wave pass so we aren't unloading the motorhome in the midst of that. Or, we'll just take our time with that process.

I'd rather be warm than cold. But, being able to wander with the seasons has been our preference. We're looking forward to some home-time... but I do get itchy feet after a couple months in an one place. Fall in the Tropical Tip is my favorite time.

Texas drivers are interesting - I call it a combination of NASCAR and Tijuana Taxi.
Old 09-15-2017, 12:21 AM

I'm sure you'll be very happy to be back home again. And I hope you find your place came through the storm in fine shape.

We always love rolling back in to home after being on the road in our coach. It's just a beautiful and comfortable place to be. But always enjoy heading out again in the coach after a while.

We RV'ers are fortunate to be able to enjoy a nice home base and also a nice rig to be "at home in" while on the road. If your RV has a great bed, comfortable seating (recliners in our case), your dogs (or other pets), your favorite foods and other favorite things with you, then you're always in the comfort of "home" wherever you park the coach for the night. We'll take that over hotels any time.
Old 09-15-2017, 08:13 AM
Charter Member

I have to say, after an extended boat or RV trip, I haven't always been excited to be home. This time, though, we're both looking forward to it. Our travels have been fun and interesting, but there are some "home activities" we've missed: dolphin watching on our little boat, sunrises on the water, playing an assortment of guitars (mine), riding the scoots, spreading out quilting projects (hers), and walks on the uncrowded beach (uncrowded this time of year).

I'm not excited about the work involved in "reopening" the house.

And, this morning, from the dinette window in the motorhome, this sunrise to start the day...

Old 09-19-2017, 07:16 PM
Charter Member

After 103 days out, we rolled back onto our island this afternoon.

http://captnjim.blogspot.com/2017/09...so-humble.html

The moving back in process will take a couple days, and in the middle of putting stuff away from one load, I slipped into the guitar room and opened the Hiscox case holding the X20... I knew what to expect, and a little gasp still slipped out. Knowing that the Blonde would be ready for another load any minute, I picked the guitar up and strummed a few chords. I got lost for a moment in how great this guitar sounds. Joan popped her head into the guitar room and said, "Missed it, didn't you?"

Yep.

We'll take our time with the moving back in process while we acclimate once again to the tropical humidity and a house that doesn't move.

Jim
Old 09-20-2017, 04:00 PM

aye Capt....I like reading up on your adventures and the way you put things.
McPherson: Early Kevin Michael Proto
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 09-20-2017, 07:04 PM

Jim... your 2/2/2 rule? Would that be 200 miles, 2 stops, check in by 2pm? That's about how we roll with the coach.
Old 09-20-2017, 07:59 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHart View Post
Jim... your 2/2/2 rule? Would that be 200 miles, 2 stops, check in by 2pm? That's about how we roll with the coach.
The 2/2/2 Rule (which we don't always follow): travel about 200 miles, get off the road around 2:00, stay for 2 days. If that doesn't work... get off the road when you can, park for the night, have a couple adult beverages. JK

Sometimes, you're just trying to make miles (like trying to get across west Texas)... nice thing about traveling by motorhome (as you know, DHart): home is where you park it.

That said, the unloading part after a multi-month trip is a lot of work.

My guitar room has only two guitars in it right now (haven't pulled the others out, yet): the X20 and the X7.
Old 09-20-2017, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Jim View Post
The 2/2/2 Rule (which we don't always follow): travel about 200 miles, get off the road around 2:00, stay for 2 days. If that doesn't work... get off the road when you can, park for the night, have a couple adult beverages. JK

Sometimes, you're just trying to make miles (like trying to get across west Texas)... nice thing about traveling by motorhome (as you know, DHart): home is where you park it.

That said, the unloading part after a multi-month trip is a lot of work.

My guitar room has only two guitars in it right now (haven't pulled the others out, yet): the X20 and the X7.
Had to laugh.... we love Texas for a lot of things, but the oil patch (West Texas) is our least favorite part of travel through Texas. And the RV park options through there are anything but appealing. Yuck. Can't get past that area fast enough.

Unloading after a trip is a chore indeed, but at least it goes about twice as fast as prepping and loading up for the trip!
Old 09-25-2017, 12:38 PM
Charter Member

Another step closer. This morning, Joan gave me a hand getting the guitar room set up...

http://captnjim.blogspot.com/2017/09/a-step-closer.html

It is a comfortable place to practice...

I did add a couple Taylors to wall, along with the Emeralds. I took a few minutes to play each today... yep, that 814 is a lovely guitar, both sound/tone and looks. The Emeralds are still my favorites.

I had a couple opportunities to play plugged in while we were out on this trip, but it sure is nice to have my own rig again.

Home, sweet home.
Old 09-25-2017, 02:30 PM
Charter Member

Do you always wear a tie when you play the Emerald? Real nice looking set up Jim.
Old 09-25-2017, 08:49 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdinco View Post
Do you always wear a tie when you play the Emerald? Real nice looking set up Jim.
That would be a guitar strap! But, I see what you saw. Hmmm... a tie, with a fishing shirt and shorts... could be a whole new look. For the record, South Padre Island has signs posted that state "No Tie Zone."

I have a tie around here somewhere. Only need it for marryin' and buryin'.
Closed Thread

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber