The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 09-13-2017, 06:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lschwart View Post
Other options worth consideration:

Yorkville NX10c
db Technologies FLEXSYS FM8, 10, or 12
Alto SXM112a

No direct experience with the first three. This is just gleaned from my own investigations. I have used the RCF NX 10-SMA (courtesy of a friend who is also a local sound-provider who has run sound for my band a couple of times). If I could afford it, I'd get several.

Louis
When we were testing wedge monitors we looked at a the db technologies flexsys fm8, QSC 8, a yamaha i don't remember, an EV model i don't remember and a JBL. The db technologies one just jumped out, it sounded great, it's small and pretty light and its really not that expensive, it didnt take long to narrow it down to the db technologies and the QSC, we walked out with the FM8 shortly afterwards, it was pretty close on sound, not much between them but the added portability won the day. I don't know why it isn't more well known because its fantastic.

David
Old 09-13-2017, 06:27 AM

That 'Teddy' looks nice, but I question how the wood casing (unprotected corners) is going to hold up over time, AND $800??? For that price you can get a full wireless in-ear system with very good earbuds and have money left over.
Although I love having monitors in any situation, the venues where most soloists or small acoustic bands play around here don't have room for floor wedges.
A friend uses one of these: https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/B205D on occasion, but I found its really directional - it was 2 feet to his left, and me, playing 4 feet to his right could not really hear it at all.

My music: https://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

2020 Taylor 324ceBE
2017 Taylor 114ce-N
2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e
73(?) Epiphone 6830E 6 string

72 Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone

Kala baritone ukulele
Seagull 'Merlin'
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e ukulele
antique banjolin
Squire J bass
Old 09-13-2017, 08:10 AM
Charter Member

I'm glad I posted this question because you folks have me considering options I wasn't aware of. The small dBTechnologies monitor looks like a worthy alternative to the Teddy or K8.2.

In the olden times I gigged with a small monitor made by Fostex that looked similar to the Behringer spot monitor. It was effective if you mounted it on a stand a few feet away from your head and pointed it at your ear of choice. I recently tried something similar made by TC Electronics and didn't like the wall wart power supply. Also the controls were too complex and fussy. I thought it was fun to play with at home but not practical for use out in the trences. When you're on a gig you want it super simple so you can focus on the music.

One reason I want a floor monitor is so I can get used to hearing it there in front of me. Here in New Mexico you don't see IEM monitors much. When I play the occasional festival slot or open a concert they give you floor monitors.

Another reason I'd prefer a floor monitor is it doesn't intrude on the visual stage setting. A spot monitor on a stand and the area starts looking cluttered. One reason I sold my old Fishstick is that it upstaged me by drawing attention. You can call me corny and old fashioned but I want the customers to see just a guy with a mic and a guitar. An uncluttered stage makes it easier to create a rapport with the customers.
Old 09-13-2017, 08:26 AM

Great info, all, and timely for me as I transition from electric band to solo/duo acoustic endeavors. Will pull the trigger on the db FM8 and get rid of my old monitor amp and ratty passives. There's a garage band somewhere that needs them.
Old 09-13-2017, 08:34 AM

One more detail worth noting:

The Yorkville NX10c has a feature that makes it a little more flexibly useful than the other small coaxial monitors we've been discussing. All of the wedges I mentioned in my earlier post have pole mounts so they can double as FOH speakers (in fact, you can build a good small solo act modular PA just using a set of any of them for monitoring and FOH interchangeably), but the Yorkville's pole mount actually goes all the way through the speaker cab, meaning you can mount it on the same speaker stand you use for FOH, below your main speaker and pointed back at you for monitoring. Useful on stages too small for a wedge.

Louis
Old 09-14-2017, 01:44 PM

For my ears, and for the price, nothing sounds better than the QSC K-series. Can't go wrong there.
Old 09-16-2017, 06:51 AM

I use a Line6 L2T powered monitor - it's 800 watts, 2X8 IRRC. it also has a built in 2ch mixer w/reverb for guitar and vocal, or 2 guitars. It's not as pretty as the Schertler and it'a maybe $50 bucks more, but it does more and it will also do what you initially want to use it for - if you find one day that all you need is one speaker for a small coffee house type thing, this cold be all you'd need as it becomes your acoustic guitar amp and your vocal PA in one. I've been using mine for 4 years now and it's performed flawlessly. Good Hunting.
Old 09-17-2017, 09:09 PM
Charter Member

Default In Ear Monitor

The people I know that use in ear monitors and like to be interactive with the audience use one and leave the other hang. Another alternative is to leave a microphone facing the audience on a short stand and blend it into the mix so you can hear the audience through your ear pieces.
2014 American Standard Telecaster (Maple Board)Mystic Blue
2008 Fender American Standard Telecaster (Rosewood Board)
1994 Fender 40th Anniversary Stratocaster Caribbean Mist
2011 Martin JC-16RE 50TH Anniversary
2004 Martin J-15
2011 Gibson ES-335 Cherry Red
1993 Continental TriCone
Old 09-18-2017, 11:04 AM
Charter Member

Thanks everyone for your info and friendly advice. I pulled the trigger on a DB Technologies FM8 this morning and expect delivery in about a week. I didn't know about this product when I posted my question. I'm glad I asked. Thanks guys
Old 09-18-2017, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Acuff View Post
Thanks everyone for your info and friendly advice. I pulled the trigger on a DB Technologies FM8 this morning and expect delivery in about a week. I didn't know about this product when I posted my question. I'm glad I asked. Thanks guys
Let us know how you like it!

Louis
Old 09-18-2017, 11:26 AM
Charter Member

Will do. Thanks again Louis!
Old 09-18-2017, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revy View Post
The people I know that use in ear monitors and like to be interactive with the audience use one and leave the other hang.
Wearing only one IEM can lead to hearing damage over time. It's not recommended.
Googling "one IEM" brings up a lot of results not related to this, but adding the words "binaural summation" might get more info from audiologists and others with better knowledge of it.
"There is a known phenomenon called binaural summation. You don’t have to remember the words but rather understand the concept. When you take one earpiece out, you lose 6db of perceived loudness. To compensate, most musicians will turn the volume up by about 6db (twice the loudness), which can be fatiguing and damaging to the ear. Furthermore, the 'open' ear is also subjected to dangerous sound levels. As you can see this is a lose-lose situation." http://www.64audio.com/blog/the-dang...g-only-one-iem
Old 09-18-2017, 05:33 PM

I've been using a couple of Mackie SRM150 monitors for a few months now, more often as a small amp than as a monitor. I think they're similar or identical to the Behringer model mentioned earlier in this thread. I bought mine used, and they've been pretty good so far.
Most of their use has been as an amp for a singer-songwriter friend of mine who plays way more gigs than I do, but doesn't have any gear besides her guitar and its case, tuner, etc. We usually put one monitor on a mic stand with the 0020725 adapter (bought those through Full Compass), and it works great, even in one venue that was somewhat larger and noisier than most places she's played.
The only time I've run an SRM150 to another amp was one night when another friend's mixer stopped taking input from the mics just before karaoke at the local American Legion hall. They were able to run the background music through their board and to their speakers (all Behringer gear that had been in use for a number of years), while I ran a mic into the SRM150 (on the usual mic stand) and then to a Behringer AT108 combo amp. My friend said I "saved karaoke" that night.
Old 09-18-2017, 05:37 PM
Charter Member

Default One Earpiece

Thank you for bringing this to my attention. I was not aware. I'm a hobby performer and don't perform a lot like others might. It's just what I've seen others doing. Personally I don't like the isolation of in ear monitors.

I normally feed my mixer from my Fishman Artist and use my amp as my monitor when playing and performing with others.
2014 American Standard Telecaster (Maple Board)Mystic Blue
2008 Fender American Standard Telecaster (Rosewood Board)
1994 Fender 40th Anniversary Stratocaster Caribbean Mist
2011 Martin JC-16RE 50TH Anniversary
2004 Martin J-15
2011 Gibson ES-335 Cherry Red
1993 Continental TriCone
Old 09-24-2017, 03:19 PM
Charter Member

Following up as promised with first impressions of my new DB Technologies FM8 powered floor monitor. This afternoon I set up my small PA (HK Audio Nano 608i) here in the music room and gave the FM8 a thorough testing. It's a keeper!

I only gig occasionally these days due to old age and laziness but I've played a zillion beer and coffee joints in my life. I know what equipment goes through. The FM8 is built to hold up to rough use. It's solid without being too big or too heavy. It's geezer safe LOL

The FM8 is small enough to sit between the feet of a folding mic stand. It plays plenty loud. The vocal and acoustic guitar sound clear and natural. AND it comes with a nice extra long power cord. How come I never heard of this company before? They make great stuff.

I'd recommend the FM8 to a friend. Thanks you guys for telling me to check it out!

Last edited by Al Acuff; 09-24-2017 at 06:23 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification