The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 09-16-2017, 09:48 PM

Congrats, Mig50! You make a stellar choice.

Of all the CF guitars you could have chosen, I rank the RainSong CH guitars as offering tone and playability right up there with the best/most expensive. In fact, I put money behind that thought and recently purchased a CH-OM1100NS (12-fret, short scale version with OM-sized body). I absolutely love the guitar. It plays great (I did lower the bridge saddle a smudge) and has really great, full, and well-balanced tone.

I'll go so far as to say that if I HAD to sell all of my acoustics but one (which includes a superb Martin OM-28V!) it would make the most sense to keep the CH-OM1100NS. (I would sure miss the Martin OM-28V, though!) It's tone is that good and, importantly, I don't have to give any thought or effort to maintaining proper humidity in the very dry climate which I enjoy living in.

If I lived where maintaining a particular humidity range was pretty much effortless, I'd keep the Martin. But the CH-OM1100NS is so good, that considering humidity maintenance here in Arizona... the RainSong would be THE one to keep. The guitar hasn't been put back in its case since the day I received it. I keep it sitting out around the house at all times and in recent months, the RH in the house has been between 25-32%. Can't do that with my wood acoustics for very long without big problems.

Last edited by DHart; 09-17-2017 at 01:39 PM.
Old 09-17-2017, 05:45 AM

Congrats on getting your Shorty a bigger sibling! One of those may find a way to my house in a couple of years. Thank you for the side by side comparison.
Old 09-17-2017, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHart View Post
Congrats, Mig50! You make a stellar choice.

Of all the CF guitars you could have chosen, I rank the RainSong CH guitars as offering tone and playability right up there with the best/most expensive. In fact, I put money behind that thought and recently purchased a CH-OM1100NS (12-fret, short scale version with OM-sized body). I absolutely love the guitar. It plays great (I did lower the bridge saddle a smudge) and has really great, full, and well-balanced tone.

I'll go so far as to say that if I HAD to sell all of my acoustics but one (which includes a superb Martin OM-28V!) I think I'd keep the CH-OM1100NS. It's tone is that good and, importantly, I don't have to bother with maintaining proper humidity in the very dry climate which I enjoy living in.

If I lived where maintaining a particular humidity range was effortless, I'd keep the Martin. But the CH-OM1100NS is so good, that considering humidity maintenance here in Arizona... the RainSong would be THE one to keep. The guitar hasn't been put back in its case since the day I received it. I keep it sitting out around the house at all times and in recent months, the RH in the house has been between 27-32%. Can't do that with my wood acoustics for long.

I live in western Montana, also a dry climate, with pretty huge temperature changes. So the humidity/climate advantages of CF are definitely a major plus. But I have to say, I like my Rainsongs for tonal reasons, not just because they're "tough." The unbraced unidirectional tops are just so incredibly responsive, very dynamic and lively, it's really changed the way I play acoustic.

I'm jealous of your OM, I sort of wish I could trade my Shorty for a Concert Hybrid now. The matte finish on the neck is a huge difference. Maybe the Shorty is collectible, now that it's a discontinued model? The CH series is so affordable, a CH-PA is probably the most affordable full-scale CF guitar on the market (even more affordable than the Peaveys!) I may have to start saving up.

Cheers on your OM!
Old 09-17-2017, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiG50 View Post
I live in western Montana, also a dry climate, with pretty huge temperature changes. So the humidity/climate advantages of CF are definitely a major plus. But I have to say, I like my Rainsongs for tonal reasons, not just because they're "tough." The unbraced unidirectional tops are just so incredibly responsive, very dynamic and lively, it's really changed the way I play acoustic.

I'm jealous of your OM, I sort of wish I could trade my Shorty for a Concert Hybrid now. The matte finish on the neck is a huge difference. Maybe the Shorty is collectible, now that it's a discontinued model? The CH series is so affordable, a CH-PA is probably the most affordable full-scale CF guitar on the market (even more affordable than the Peaveys!) I may have to start saving up.

Cheers on your OM!
Yes, the unbraced unidirectional top is so incredibly responsive - and the OM size can be quite loud, if you want it to be.

The CH series was another master stroke from RainSong. Such great, well-balanced tone and so reasonably priced! I'd put their tone against the most expensive CF guitars available, and against many fine quality wood guitars. In fact, I'd say their tone is better than many fine quality wood guitars.
Old 09-29-2017, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiG50 View Post
After a few years owning my RS Shorty, I finally started looking around for something a bit bigger, with bigger bass response. I've looked at the WS models before, something similar to a Grand Symphony or Mini Jumbo. Then I found this CH-WS, and for that price, I decided I can't go wrong.

I might start thinking about trading my Shorty for a CH-OM or even a CH-PA, just to get this finish on the neck.

Anyone else had a chance at the Concert Hybrids? They seem to be a hell of a bargain, compared to everything else I've been seeing on the CF market lately.
Of the RS models I have only played the Shorty. But the price point of the CH-OM is so attractive! Looking at specs the Shorty and CH-OM seem practically identical (except for finish and other cosmetics). Maybe some difference in the construction...question is, if the Shorty sounds right to me can I depend on the CH-OM being essentially the same?
Old 09-29-2017, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in TC View Post
Of the RS models I have only played the Shorty. But the price point of the CH-OM is so attractive! Looking at specs the Shorty and CH-OM seem practically identical (except for finish and other cosmetics). Maybe some difference in the construction...question is, if the Shorty sounds right to me can I depend on the CH-OM being essentially the same?
I think you will find the CH-OM to sound delightfully wonderful, deep, rich, full range, and well-balanced. RainSong hit a home run with the CH series for playability, tone, looks, and price! I recently bought a CH-OM1100NS and love the tone and the playability - big thumbs up from me.

Old 10-01-2017, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in TC View Post
I can't discern any real tonal differences between the construction methods, given that I have a Shorty and a CH-WS. The WS body definitely changes the tonal range, response, and volume, but I think the CH-OM would sound just like a Shorty. Biggest difference (besides the blackout cosmetics) would be the matte finish on the back, sides, and neck, and the LR Baggs pickup in the CH versus the Fishman Prefix in the Shorty.

Besides that, at this price, you can't really go wrong! I totally agree with DHart, this series is incredible.
Old 10-01-2017, 06:10 PM

Oooh that's sleek ! Very "stealthy" and very nice.

I wonder if those black strings are any good ? They'd be cool looking on that.

Enjoy!
Old 10-04-2017, 11:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Long Jon View Post
I wonder if those black strings are any good ? They'd be cool looking on that.
That thought had already crossed my mind. I can't imagine they sound or feel as good as the strings I'm used to, but I could probably pull off that look for the right gig or something.
Old 10-04-2017, 11:55 PM

The "Smokey" models are (were?) shipping with some type of black coated string.

Looked cool, but I didn't like the sound much. I suspect most folks take them off and put on normal PBs.
Rainsong SFTA-FLE; WS3000; CH-PA
Taylor GA3-12, Guild F-212

https://markhorning.bandcamp.com/music

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber