The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 06-20-2019, 10:53 AM

Default Thumb Picks...

I'm going to try to venture into the world of thumb picks.
Can anyone tell me what thumb pick would have the smallest striking area? I vaguely remember one that was red with a small picking area... but I can't remember the brand.
I've been messing with a Fred Kelly Derlin Speed pick that I filed down a bit, but I'm not a fan.
Any tips or insight would be great!
Old 06-20-2019, 11:07 AM
Charter Member

Why do you think you need the thumbpick with ‘the smallest striking area’? I think the one you’re thinking of is the Fred Kelly Speed Thumbpick, which has a thin ‘prong’ rather than a flat blade.

I’ve used thumbpicks for at least thirty years, and I’ve tried all sorts. I’d strongly recommend that you buy a number of different picks, including the Speed Thumbpick, but also other shapes and thicknesses, and give each one time to get used to it. Then you’ll be able to make an informed choice about what works best for you. But remember - practice makes perfect, and you may need time to ‘get the hang’ of the pick that finally becomes your pick of choice.

FWIW, I use Dunlop ‘Heavies’ Calico or Ivoroid, Golden Gate Ivoroid, and BlueChip BCT1-L thumbpicks, exactly as they come from the manufacturer - no heating, filing, shaping, buffing, or other faffing about. I like them equally, but each creates a different tone. It took a number of years, and a great deal of experimentation with different picks, to reach the point of being happy with my choices.

The usual disclaimers apply......IMHO, YMMV etc.

Brook ‘Lamorna’ OM (European Spruce/EIR) (2019)
Lowden F-23 (Red Cedar/Claro Walnut) (2017)
Martin D-18 (2012)
Martin HD-28V (2010)
Fender Standard Strat (2017-MIM)

Last edited by JayBee1404; 06-20-2019 at 04:02 PM.
Old 06-20-2019, 12:04 PM

I agree, you need to buy a bunch of different brands and sizes and give them all a good try. The three I like are Zookies, Golden Gate, and Blue Chip JD medium. I like the Blue Chip thumb picks the best but they are expensive ($40). But I have been playing with the same Blue Chip thumb pick for over 10 years.
Old 06-20-2019, 12:56 PM

Try a Blue Chip...it will be perfect for that SCGC FS that you play so well.
I have 2 from BC..One a standard size and one they custom made for me using regular flat pick married to a Thumb ring....My favorite for a combo of finger picking and strumming

Life is a journey...not a guided tour...
Old 06-20-2019, 01:25 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFox View Post
... one they custom made for me using regular flat pick married to a Thumb ring.... My favorite for a combo of finger picking and strumming
Like the Honeybee which is a flat pick attached to a thumb ring. I find it OK for finger picking and strumming, but is like flat picking with a thumb pick. The hybrid combo does not move/give enough between the thumb and finger for instrumental flat picking.

Last edited by vintage40s; 06-20-2019 at 01:31 PM.
Old 06-20-2019, 01:27 PM

Over the years, my tastes in thumb picks has changed; part of this is because my skill level has improved. My favorite now is a Fred Kelley Slickpick. It had been a Fred Kelley Speedpick, but when playing songs with a heavy thump, the flat, broad Slickpick beats it.

I've tried lots of different brands and have a very good idea of what would make the perfect thumbpick, but it's not being made (although I have a fabricated a crude approximation)

Fortunately, they are not all that expensive - try various types and see what you like. But as I mentioned above, the biggest change has been my competence and ability to change the angle of attack.
Old 06-20-2019, 01:50 PM

For those occasions where I use a thumb pick, I use a Dunlop 9003 white plastic. I use scissors to shape the tip to the desired shape which is just a bit of protrusion beyond the tip of my thumb, and file to smoothness. Putting the pick in hot water in the microwave allows shaping the pick to the width of your thumb.
Old 06-20-2019, 02:01 PM
Charter Member

I use Blue Chip JD Crowe thumb picks, after trying dozens of kinds and types for decades. The fit on my thumb is the best I have ever owned, feels custom. I use a large as I have a fat right thumb. From your videos you probably would go smaller. The wrap part is metal and can be bent to fit best. I have not had to bend my Large JD Crowe picks.

Their JD Crowe model has the shortest length of the stock thumb picks they produce.

I talked to them about customizing one and they said they can shape and cut down the width and length to my specifications if I provide them the dimensions and an outline pattern of I want. It would be worth giving them a call.

I have also used the Fred Kelly speed picks and I like them when I want a very light thumb stroke and a lot of speed. I too have sanded and polished them down to shorter-than-stock for my needs. I do not like long thumb picks.

Good luck Matt.
Old 06-20-2019, 02:13 PM

Hi Matt,

Your playing sounds great on Eddie's Guitar youtube channel (if that's the same Matt Chulka). I look forward to hearing you with a thumbpick!

Guptill Music (ProPik) makes a metal band thumb pick with a small blade: ProPik Quick-Pik™ Thumb Pick. It's a lot like the Fred Kelly speed pick you've already tried, so maybe you won't like it either. I think it gives a wimpy tone--so I use something stouter.

I use regular shaped Dunlop picks most of the time. I usually file the point so it's about the same shape and size as the tip of a flatpick --the part that sticks out past my thumb toward the strings. That way I can use it for thumbpick triplets or flatpicking.

I bet you'll get used to whichever shape you end up using for awhile, whether it's the small one you're looking for, or something larger.

Have fun!
Old 06-20-2019, 03:27 PM

I alternate between Herco plastic thumb picks (shaped like a flat pick) and plastic Dunlop smalls. (Tight on my thumb but I like the size/shape of the blade).

Finding a good thumb pick is way more easier than finding a good fingerpick let me tell you!

Good luck!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion