The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 01-27-2018, 08:29 PM
Charter Member

Default Harbinger MSL 800 On Sale!

I stopped in at my local Guitar Center today, and while I was in the Pro Audio area, someone turned up a recorded tune and I thought it sounded pretty good. I wandered over to the source of the music and there it was: a Harbinger MSL 800 pumping out the music. What was even more astounding was the sale price of $299 until the end of the month! I'm assuming this $299 price is at all Guitar Centers? I know a fellow AGFer did a shootout of the Harbinger MSL 800 with a Bose L1C and a JBL EON ONE, and for the money and heavier weight, the Harbinger MSL 800 didn't fare too badly. Generally, I regard Harbinger as a lower-echelon brand but at this sale price I'm tempted to purchase a Harbinger MSL 800, so will someone out there talk me into it or out of it, please ...
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2

Last edited by SpruceTop; 01-28-2018 at 11:43 AM.
Old 01-27-2018, 09:10 PM

At that price point, I'd buy one. I checked one out last week and was impressed by the side coverage. I was 10 feet away and 3 feet behind and could hear fine. Also, the bass is really good. I just bought an L1C a few weeks ago and my wife was with me. If not for those reasons, I'd have taken it home.
Old 01-28-2018, 01:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YamahaGuy View Post
At that price point, I'd buy one. I checked one out last week and was impressed by the side coverage. I was 10 feet away and 3 feet behind and could hear fine. Also, the bass is really good. I just bought an L1C a few weeks ago and my wife was with me. If not for those reasons, I'd have taken it home.

[Note to self: drop wife off at shoe store on my way to Guitar store. The “purchase guilt” for each party will cancel out one another, creating a perfect purchase homeostasis. (This, despite the fact that anyone can play guitar without shoes, but no one can play guitar without a guitar. It goes without saying that 1 shoe = 1 guitar.)]
2005 Alvarez AJ-60S/12 NAT
2005 Aria Sinsonido AS-100S
2004/5 Fender Stratocaster Deluxe Series (MIM)
1988 Fender F-210S
... and because I love all my children equally:
1974 Tiesco “Strat”
1971 Ronda made for Paul A. Schmitt Music Co.
Old 01-28-2018, 11:22 AM

A friend of mine has one. He usually uses a Bose L1C at a local wine bar but used the Harbinger last Thursday night. I thought it sounded great. The venue was not wide but deep. It covered the back of the room fine with little loss of volume. I noticed one at the local GC for $399.00 with a tag saying Sale Price.
Old 01-28-2018, 12:03 PM
Charter Member

I just called my local Guitar center to verify the price of the Harbinger MSL 800, and it is $299, and they're new and not refurbished units. The reason for the low price on this system is that Guitar Center is blowing them out because they will no longer carry the brand. The bad news is that my local GC just sold the last one but they can order one from another GC that still has units but it must arrive at my local GC by January 31, 2018 for the sale price to hold, which I would pay at that time.
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Old 01-28-2018, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpruceTop View Post
I just called my local Guitar center to verify the price of the Harbinger MSL 800, and it is $299, and they're new and not refurbished units. The reason for the low price on this system is that Guitar Center is blowing them out because they will no longer carry the brand. The bad news is that my local GC just sold the last one but they can order one from another GC that still has units but it must arrive at my local GC by January 31, 2018 for the sale price to hold, which I would pay at that time.
Isn't harbinger a Guitar Center house brand?
Old 01-28-2018, 02:41 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitaurman View Post
Isn't harbinger a Guitar Center house brand?
I don't know. Who actually makes Harbinger products? Behringer, maybe?
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Old 01-28-2018, 03:46 PM

Quote:
I don't know. Who actually makes Harbinger products? Behringer, maybe?
I had done some research over the summer... When I was considering one of these.

It is my understanding that Harbinger is just a "name" .. It is GC's house brand name. Also sold at MF and Music Arts. They are located Thousand Oaks CA.... 5 min drive from GC Head Quarters in Westlake Village.

I don't believe there is any affiliation what so ever with Berhinger. Although I bet the name was chosen to confuse or lead people that they are similar .. No?

Lastly, from what I can tell, it's just the ML800 that is discontinued. Not the entire line up.

They were selling them during the summer for $499 and then $399 on Black Friday.

Now $299.... Heck of a deal!
Old 01-28-2018, 03:51 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeStone View Post
I had done some research over the summer... When I was considering one of these.

It is my understanding that Harbinger is just a "name" .. It is GC's house brand name. Also sold at MF and Music Arts. They are located Thousand Oaks CA.... 5 min drive from GC Head Quarters in Westlake Village.

I don't believe there is any affiliation what so ever with Berhinger. Although I bet the name was chosen to confuse or lead people that they are similar .. No?

Lastly, from what I can tell, it's just the ML800 that is discontinued. Not the entire line up.

They were selling them during the summer for $499 and then $399 on Black Friday.

Now $299.... Heck of a deal!
Thanks, Jake! Likely that's what the GC guy on the phone was getting at--just discontinuing this model.
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Old 01-28-2018, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Thanks, Jake! Likely that's what the GC guy on the phone was getting at--just discontinuing this model.
Cool.. Did you find one to order ? It really seems like a great deal.
Old 01-28-2018, 05:09 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Cool.. Did you find one to order ? It really seems like a great deal.
Hi Jake, if the Harbinger MSL 800 would have been available, here and now, I might be tempted to pull the trigger on one. I've already had a Bose L1 Model II and Bose L1C, and with my Line 6 L2t, I'm pretty happy with my current state of amplification ...but ... maybe ... just maybe ... Musician's Friend has the same deal going on for the Harbinger MSL 800 ... YIKES, somebody administer this old boy some chloral hydrate--and quickly--to arrest my propensity to consume!
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Old 01-28-2018, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Hi Jake, if the Harbinger MSL 800 would have been available, here and now, I might be tempted to pull the trigger on one. I've already had a Bose L1 Model II and Bose L1C, and with my Line 6 L2t, I'm pretty happy with my current state of amplification ...but ... maybe ... just maybe ... Musician's Friend has the same deal going on for the Harbinger MSL 800 ... YIKES, somebody administer this old boy some chloral hydrate--and quickly--to arrest my propensity to consume!
LOL !

I called 2 GC's that are in my area to see if they had them.
Both said they sold their last units earlier in the day.
Word travels fast!
Old 01-29-2018, 08:38 AM

If anyone is looking for a low priced PA .. This is a killer deal. If I didn't already have a Bose L1C.. I'd snag it. I still may, if I can find one!

Here's a thread from last year with some info and review
http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/f...d.php?t=459612
Old 01-29-2018, 03:29 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
If anyone is looking for a low priced PA .. This is a killer deal. If I didn't already have a Bose L1C.. I'd snag it. I still may, if I can find one!

Here's a thread from last year with some info and review
http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/f...d.php?t=459612
So thankful to everyone on this thread, especially the OP! I have been looking for a used Bose L1C for a while now and finally found one on CL an hour away for $700 in good condition. I was planning on checking it out this coming weekend. I have a buddy that had one and loved it but sold it to a friend but he still had the Bose mixer for sale so I could have gotten the whole thing for about a grand when all was said and done. After a recent gig this past weekend, it became apparent that we needed the upgrade!

After reading the above posts I went to our local GC today to test drive the Bose L1C and if available, A/B it with the Harbinger. They were set up side-by-side. I'd brought my Emerald X20 with K&K pre-amp and plugged into both, set volume the same on both (halfway) and then played them while walking around the very large room (I had my little X-Vive X2 wireless system as well). I was pleasantly surprised to find I got more volume and better, clearer tone out of the Harbinger.

They had one new one left. $299. It's in my car. For that price, you can't go wrong. I'll post a NAD after I test it out at a venue soon. Thanks again.
Old 01-29-2018, 03:52 PM

Default Harbinger MSL 800 On Sale!

I purchased one when they came out. I posted about it. It’s a decent sounding unit for light use. Mine had a hiss with nothing plugged in. I returned it. But it was fine for what it was. $300 is a bargain. Just don’t expect to use it for anything but light/home use.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification