The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 03-25-2016, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthewpartrick View Post
John is alluding to the fact that Wayne has, in the past, been known to respond positively to trade for guns, old guitars, or really good dessert.
Ah, got it. I'm not sure how happy the airline would be if I turned up with firearms. I've still got my first guitar (an EKO acoustic bought in 1971) but I don't think Wayne would be that keen on it. I'll get the wife to bake an apple pie...
Dazzo 70's & SunnAudio Stage DI
Old 03-27-2016, 11:50 AM

Had a couple of Wayne's guitars. A pearl everywhere Dread with a tinted natural finish and an HD-18 with a beautiful vintage style shaded top. Both were striking visually and the option of a shade top with the pearl trim would be spectacular on an OM, IMHO.
Old 03-27-2016, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyC View Post
Hi John

I don't understand your second sentence properly - I'm from the UK so maybe not familiar with some of your colloquial English. Anyway, I waited 11 years or so with regular calls, postcards etc. to let Wayne know that I was still alive....

I'm highly delighted with the hybrid solution I finally arrived at, and with the woods I've chosen and wayne's talent and magic I am anticipating that this will be my dream "once in a lifetime" guitar.

Yes, I'm travelling over to the festival in June. A nice long weekend in the sunshine listening to some great players and some great music - oh, and collecting my guitar!! Doesn't get much better than that....
11 years?????? How is that even possible. Is Wayne not building full time? It is hard to imagine an 11 year back log. I am pretty sure I would not wait that long....Most builders don't take new orders once they are out like 3 years or so from what I can gather....
Old 03-27-2016, 03:07 PM
FKA matthewpartrick :)

That's just how it goes with Wayne. I would probably be dead by then.
Old 03-28-2016, 06:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomB'sox View Post
11 years?????? How is that even possible. Is Wayne not building full time? It is hard to imagine an 11 year back log. I am pretty sure I would not wait that long....Most builders don't take new orders once they are out like 3 years or so from what I can gather....
I read recently that he completes 30 guitars a year. I think it (10 year waiting list) becomes possible due to the fact that there doesn't seem to be anyone out there selling their product for a few thousand where by the guitar can then be sold for 30-50K. I think the book has helped in this and allows people to be willing to roll the dice. For anyone with a true collecting bent, a W. Henderson would be a must have worth the wait, but actually I think more players than collectors own them due to their primary distribution process (he builds them for who he wants when he wants.)

John
13 Fret Charis SJ
Martin D-41
Halcyon 12 Fret 000
A&L Ami
McIlroy A30c
Taylor 610 LTD
Martin DCPA1
Seagull Original
Gretsch White Falcon
Epi LP 60's Tribute Plus (Ebony)
Epi LP 60's Tribute Plus (HC Burst)
Epi Swingster Royale
Gibson LP Trad Pro II
Godin Exit 22
Old 03-28-2016, 06:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58spdstr View Post
Had a couple of Wayne's guitars. A pearl everywhere Dread with a tinted natural finish and an HD-18 with a beautiful vintage style shaded top. Both were striking visually and the option of a shade top with the pearl trim would be spectacular on an OM, IMHO.
Personally, I've never been a fan of shaded tops, but I can understand where you're coming from
Old 03-28-2016, 06:50 AM

Quote:
Hi Folks

Thanks for the quick responses!

In terms of playing style. it's pretty varied - I like to play fingerstyle a lot of the time (James Taylor type stuff etc....) but I also like to bash out the big singalong chord songs sometimes - depends if I'm on my own or in company - I also like to play a hybrid of these two styles with a pick when I'm gigging - melody lines within a bigger soundstage etc..

Really just looking for the ultimate all round guitar in my Henderson - it's not going to be a collectors item, (I'm too old for that nonsense!) - I just want to decide on the perfect all round compromise guitar for all situations, and I know there's a bit of dream chaisng in that statement. Do I go for big robust dreadnought totally out there sound, or try for a tad more finesse and control with an OM??
Dread is def not the best all around guitar shape in my opinion.

Hans
2000 Froggy Bottom H12c (adir/ind RW)
2016 Froggy Bottom K mod (adir/madrose; my son's)
2010 Voyage-Air VAOM-2C

http://www.soundclick.com/hanstunes (recorded on Froggy H12c)
Old 03-28-2016, 11:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by handers View Post
Dread is def not the best all around guitar shape in my opinion.

Hans
I don't want to put words into your mouth, Hans, we may be talking apples and oranges, but the Borges D21 over at Lowe's Vintage sounds pretty versatile to me:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z6Fi4xE7qL4

I think it depends on the builder, whether you prefer an immediate or more open response and if you're physically comfortable playing a dread for long periods of time or not.

I've owned dreads by Bob Altman and Ken Hooper that did everything exceptionally well. I remember a particular Cedar/Cocobolo Roy Noble dread a few years back at Greg Boyd's that handled fingerstyle better than 95% of the contemporary small jumbo's I've played.

For what the OP described I think a deep bodied OM is a great choice. My deep bodied Altman OM does it all well--cuts through a jam of a mandolin, banjo and 2 mortal D-18's like a knife and plays Gary Davis Jr perfectly on the couch. It doesn't have the focus of my OM-18, but few guitars do.

Julius Borges OM-18 (Adirondack/Sinker Mahogany)
Bob Altman OM-2D (Adirondack/Brazilian Rosewood)
John Greven 00-12 (Lutz/Brazilian Rosewood)
Fraulini Erma (Sitka/White Oak)
Harmony H162 (Sitka/Mahogany)
Franklin Jumbo (Engleman/EIR)
Ken Hooper 12 Fret D28 (Carpathian/Honduran Rosewood)

Last edited by Gallopinghost; 03-28-2016 at 11:57 PM.
Old 11-11-2016, 07:06 AM

I couldn't get to the festival in June as originally planned, but I'm flying out to Virginia tomorrow to collect my deep bodied OM42 from Wayne's shop!!

Yeeeaahh!!
Old 11-11-2016, 09:42 AM

Quote:
I couldn't get to the festival in June as originally planned, but I'm flying out to Virginia tomorrow to collect my deep bodied OM42 from Wayne's shop!!

Yeeeaahh!!
How exciting! How long will you be in town? I'm flying to Ken Hooper's shop to photograph the progress of my current build. Ken's shop is 40 miles away from Wayne's and they are good buddies.

I can't wait to hear all about your new treasure! You must be beyond ecstatic!
Old 11-11-2016, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yukonkornelius View Post
How exciting! How long will you be in town? I'm flying to Ken Hooper's shop to photograph the progress of my current build. Ken's shop is 40 miles away from Wayne's and they are good buddies.

I can't wait to hear all about your new treasure! You must be beyond ecstatic!
It's a real flying visit - I will only be at Wayne's place for an hour or two on Sunday before heading back to Charlotte to start the long journey home.... !

Still, I will go home feeling as if I am a very lucky boy indeed!

Good luck with your visit to Ken's place - I believe he is in Elkin?? I'm actually thinking of staying in Elkin on Saturday evening on my way up to Rugby!
Old 11-11-2016, 10:41 AM

Quote:
It's a real flying visit - I will only be at Wayne's place for an hour or two on Sunday before heading back to Charlotte to start the long journey home.... !

Still, I will go home feeling as if I am a very lucky boy indeed!

Good luck with your visit to Ken's place - I believe he is in Elkin?? I'm actually thinking of staying in Elkin on Saturday evening on my way up to Rugby!
Yessir. Elkin. Oh man, we'll just be passing each other. I'm staying in Elkin Sunday and Monday nights.

You must be so excited! I can't wait to see some photos!
Old 11-11-2016, 10:54 AM

I'll be sure to post some as soon as I get home....

Have a great trip.
Old 11-11-2016, 04:28 PM
FKA matthewpartrick :)

Quote:

Yeeeaahh!!
Congrats! Would love to see photos.
Old 11-11-2016, 04:49 PM

Congratulations! Please post pics and videos galore after you get the guitar.

I've been on Wayne's list for at least a decade. Alas, I can't bring myself to nudge him to build my guitar. So, it's quite unlikely that he'll build it. But, this said, I enjoy the vicarious pleasure of seeing others receive their guitars.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop