The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 04-28-2009, 12:48 PM

Default Carrying your CA Cargo--alternatives to the gig bag?

I just got a CA Guitars Cargo yesterday. Man, what a cool little guit.

Here's the thing, though. The guitar itself is so compact, solid, portable... a tiny little tank! But when it's in the gigbag, it takes on a lot more bulk. I was hoping to carry this thing EVERYWHERE with me, but I feel silly wearing it with the headstock sticking up over my head.

Naked, the guitar feels so small. In the gigbag, it feels like an OM. It's just too big in the gigbag.

What are some alternatives? For a normal wooden guitar, you'd want a big, padded gigbag like this, and when I travel, yes, I'll want it too, but just walking around town, the park, school, around the mall, etc, I don't want this big, bulky gigbag. And I can't just carry the guitar naked, either, really.

Do you guys have any ideas? :S

laundry bag?
gym bag?
canvas bag?
military bag of some kind?
backpack with headstock sticking out, golf club cozy thing (whatever they're called) over headstock?
some kind of satchel? How did minstrels carry their lutes back when?

Brainstorming, but I've about hit my wits' end. I want this to be my summertime companion, but walking with the gigbag on me feels funny.

Last edited by Jesse_Dylan; 04-28-2009 at 01:00 PM.
Old 04-28-2009, 12:56 PM

Welcome to the forum and congrats on your new Cargo.

Have you tried your local music store for any smaller/travel gig bags?
'08 Martin HD28
Old 04-28-2009, 02:20 PM

Thanks! I've been lurking around a bit but haven't posted much.

Actually, I haven't tried that. Maybe I should just pop in with my Cargo and say, "Do you guys have anything smaller/less conspicuous I might be able to tote this around in?"

For a long time, we only had one local store, and it was not my favorite place. We have two now, and I like the other one, but I'm pretty used to doing all my shopping on the net. Haven't had much luck Googling for alternatives here, tho.
Old 04-28-2009, 02:56 PM

But I am sure you will be on every thread here soon.
McPherson: Early Kevin Michael Proto
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 04-28-2009, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kramster View Post
But I am sure you will be on every thread here soon.
I think I'd have a hard time keeping up with this one! Anyway, if it's not about CA Guitars or (maybe) Guilds, I'm not as interested.
Old 04-28-2009, 04:38 PM
Anticipation Junkie

Hi Jesse,

I'm GXiNut over at carbonguitar.com. Welcome here.

In March 2008, my Baby Taylor got destroyed and I immediately replaced it with a Cargo (in hindsight, I'm glad the BT got wrecked 'cause I love the Cargo). At that time, the Cargo came with a gig bag that was waaay too big. So, I had the BT gig bag and the Cargo fits in it perfectly. It doesn't look big and bulky at all. It carries very easily over my shoulder and looks small as aircraft carry-on (I've never had a problem bringing it on a plane).
Old 04-28-2009, 05:22 PM

Stormcase

http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/f...highlight=foam

2010 Simon Fay German Spruce/ EIR OM
2010 Taylor NS24ce Nylon
2006 Cordoba 55R Nylon
2008 Takamine Nylon Crossover TC135SC
1978 Takamine Nylon C128
2006 Miranda Nylon (My Motorcycle Guitar)
1973 Guild G37 Sitka/Maple
Old 04-28-2009, 05:45 PM

Hello there, sir!

And you may have just saved the lives of myself and my Cargo. That sounds like it is *exactly* what I'm looking for. So I will just see if I can find a Baby Taylor gigbag or something similarly small.

Did you ever try putting it in a Baby T hardshell? Don't know if it would fit or if there'd be much of a point, but it was a thought I had. I remember them being quite compact.

I remember your story from carbonguitar about the crushed Baby T.

Edit--Oops, missed the stormcase post. That's really cool! I wish the picture still worked! I'll see if I can Google it.

Edit again--I see a few Baby T gigbags on eBay and one on Amazon. I wish I could see one in person to compare it to the one that came with my Cargo and see how much of an improvement it'd be.

Last edited by Jesse_Dylan; 04-28-2009 at 10:33 PM.
Old 04-28-2009, 10:54 PM

Go to a luggage shop and have them screw in a suitcase handle on the side.

Kevdog
Old 04-28-2009, 11:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevdog View Post
Go to a luggage shop and have them screw in a suitcase handle on the side.

Kevdog
Ha! Now there's one idea I didn't think of. Tho it was in jest, it's not too far out there! Or install another set of strap buttons, put two straps on it, and wear it as a backpack.

Is this a Baby T gigbag, or is it for a 110CE? Confused. I want the smallest, essentially thinnest (but strong), most form-fitting "bag" (of some sort!) for my Cargo I can get. One fitted especially for a Baby T might be just the ticket, unless it's too padded. But if this is one that just happens to fit Baby Ts and isn't especially for them...
http://www.amazon.com/Taylor-Acousti...0963799&sr=8-1

Last edited by Jesse_Dylan; 04-28-2009 at 11:48 PM.
Old 04-29-2009, 06:31 AM

Funny thing with those Cargo's is that they already have a "handle" built in. It's the offset sound-hole. Just grab it by that and carry it around.

I've put the bag (I had a Taylor gig-bag) in the garage and last flight, I just tossed it "naked" into the overhead. Another plus: Since it was obviously a guitar, no one trying to cram a 200lb suitcase against it in the overhead and I didn't have to ask anyone to be careful. I encountered no resistance by people gate-checking, and it was 100% obvious it was a guitar. I was easily able to play it near the gate while waiting because well, it was just there ;)

It's a Cargo. Who needs a case?

Papol/Hashi (on the cf forum now & then)
Old 04-29-2009, 09:05 AM
Anticipation Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse_Dylan View Post
...One fitted especially for a Baby T might be just the ticket, unless it's too padded. But if this is one that just happens to fit Baby Ts and isn't especially for them...
http://www.amazon.com/Taylor-Acousti...0963799&sr=8-1
The Cargo fits quite snug in the BT gigbag. It is a quality bag and minimalist in its padding. I find it perfect.
Old 04-29-2009, 09:49 AM

No question about it (well, at least not in my mind....) - what you need is a second strap button on the centerline below the neck so you can rig the guitar with a pair of shoulder straps locked in place somehow.
Old 04-29-2009, 12:23 PM

Thanks for the replies, guys!

Yeah, Papol/Hashi, now that I have a Cargo myself, I can picture doing the exact same thing were I to fly. Taking it "naked" onto the plane seems like a daring (but great) solution to the whole business. And if I were just tossing it in my car to go somewhere, I'd probably do that, too.

Acousticado--the BT gig bag does sound perfect for bumping around town on foot (in places where I wouldn't want the guitar to just be naked). I need to make sure I get the same kind of BT gigbag you have, though! An internet is a tricky thing. I wonder if there are other gigbags that are thin and would fit it as well as the BT?

Guess I could always get one from Taylor. "I hear your Baby Taylor gigbags are really thin and basically kind of worthless for Baby Taylors. They sound like they're exactly what I'm looking for, for my CA Cargo." oops!

Thanks again, guys. I'll keep you updated, and if anyone else has more ideas, please post. (I'm still wondering if some kind of canvas bag would work...) What's bizarre (well, not really) about it is there are many techniques for traveling with it, but since no one really just yanks a Cargo around town (to school, the mall, the park, just walking, hiking... I'm so odd) like I want to, that's a little harder to formulate strategies for. Gigbag is great for, say, the Rainforest, but doing some downtown shopping or wandering around Trafalgur Square (yeah right, when I have money maybe, and don't spend it on guitars), it is just too much gigbag.
Old 04-29-2009, 10:26 PM

Well, I grabbed a Baby T gigbag from Musician's Friend. They're also having an absurd sale on D'Addario EXPs. They're $8 for a set, and you get a second set free as a "gift". So, essentially, $4 each.

I also ordered a bunch of these weird screaming brain dog picks. Or something like that. But they look pretty much identical to the cat tongue picks I love and can't find anymore, so...

So basically, I recommend the picks, and I wanted to alert even just this small population about the $4 strings. Even if you don't care for coated strings, man, $4! Maybe I should post it as a new topic. Or maybe someone already did. I'll check.

Hope I got the right gigbag!
Is this the right one?
Need some patches or something to cover up the "Taylor" logo.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber