The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 01-31-2018, 11:55 AM

Default Using the Trinity Pro in a live stage setting (Preamp location question)

Hey there,

I'm a worship pastor and I move around a LOT on stage. Currently, I use a QLX Shure wireless setup due to the stage setup, the way I move on stage, and for ease of use in transitioning from my worship leading to the pastor coming and teaching.

I'm interested in the K&K Trinity, but have a question regarding their preamps. I'll be installing this system into a Martin OM-21.

-It looks like the only way to use the quantum is to go wired out of the guitar to the preamp either off stage, or at your feet on a pedalboard due to the TRS setup (not really an option for me with the need to go wireless). Is this true? Is there a way to do this simply?

-I like the Trinity Pro preamp since it includes the phase switch on the mic that the onboard doesn't seem to offer, but where do people typically put the preamp? Does it come with a clip to put it on a guitar strap? All of the pictures I've seen don't have this included. This wouldn't interfere with my wireless setup since I could go out of the guitar into the preamp clipped to my strap, and then go out of the preamp into my wireless body pack. I suppose I could simply mod one once I get it.

-Why does the onboard preamp not include the phase switch for the mic?! Maybe this is a feature that has since been added - but all of the information I've been able to find doesn't mention this as a part of the onboard preamp.

Lastly - I'm a pretty heavy strummer. It is a full band setting, with live drums on stage but no actual wedges - everyone is using in-ears, so stage volume isn't terribly high - but room volume has the potential to be loud. Is this the right pickup for me? Every clip I've heard I have LOVED. Others have suggested the anthem, but I don't like the sound of the under saddle pickup in my Cole Clark Angel 2 with the 3 pickup system, so I figure I won't like it here either.

Thanks!
Old 01-31-2018, 12:43 PM

With the Trinity Pro you can go out of the guitar with a TRS cable into the belt clip two channel preamp, which then blends the two signals into a blended mono signal which you could then route to a wireless transmitter, which could also be belt mounted. It means wearing two devices on your belt, but it would do what you require.
Old 01-31-2018, 01:26 PM

But does the preamp come with the hardware necessary for making it a belt pack? It looks like it currently is just a plain box without the hardware necessary to make it a belt pack.
Old 01-31-2018, 01:32 PM

From the K&K website:

http://kksound.com/products/trinitypropreamp.php

Trinity Pro Preamp Features

The Trinity Pro Preamp allows for perfect balancing of a microphone and a pickup/transducer. Channel 2 is a designated mic channel with phase switch and supplies 9-volts to a lavalier type microphone. Each individual channel features volume, gain, +/- 20 dB bass, midrange, and treble filters. The EQ is accessible inside the box with trimpots. A convenient belt clip is included with this compact preamp, which weighs a mere ten ounces with the battery installed.
Old 01-31-2018, 01:48 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GR8 GS8 View Post
But does the preamp come with the hardware necessary for making it a belt pack? It looks like it currently is just a plain box without the hardware necessary to make it a belt pack.
Hi GR8 etc

I play K&K dual source rigs in 4 guitars…and I've led worship with them for over 15 years…never wirelessly.

I own a K&K Trinity belt pack preamp which could be run into a wireless transmitter easy enough (it's a mono output cable), but to answer your question, there is no easy way to do a K&K dual source wirelessly that I'm aware of. The belt pack dual source preamp is limited by the need to open it up to adjust gain and tone for each channel.

All you control externally is the output volume of each channel, and there is no phase control on mine.

The only time I ever use phase control on my K&K Dual source rigs is if I have to put a feedback buster in it, and then I reverse phase on the microphone and it restores output tone to normal.

The mic resides about ½" to ¾" below the level of the soundhole (inside the guitar) pointing up at the 3rd string. The feedback suppressor (big black rubber plug) causes it to go out of phase.

A call to K&K would provide you with accurate suggestions and possible solutions from a technical standpoint.

If I had to work wirelessly, I'd be choosing a different pickup system in my guitar, and likely not a dual source rig. Expediency, adjustability, tone adjustment, and wireless do not pair well with K&K dual-source rigs in my mind.

The old LRBaggs duet (dual source) with an LB6 saddle (all brass blank with embedded individual pickups topped with a micarta saddle piece) and internal mic delivers phantom to the pickup internally via 9V battery, and mono at the ¼" output jack. But tone adjustment is all external, and even the micro-adjustments are done using a pencil eraser and reaching through the soundhole to flip switches on the preamp (which is stuck to the back of the guitar).

I used one for over a decade. It sounded almost as good as my K&Ks. Drawbacks - it hampers the acoustic sound of the guitar, and when it was removed from my Olson, the preamp, pickup, brass saddle inside the guitar weighed about 6 oz (minus the battery).

It's the internal pickup system Phil Keaggy uses…which he then runs externally to a Pendulum dual source preamp. But it would probably work great through a wireless rig.

These days - I'd likely get a K&K Pure Mini and then process it at the board. Our worship leader uses a K&K Pure mini in all his stage acoustics, and the sound techs work magic on them with the board. They sound most guitar-like.

Good luck on your quest, and my input is solely based on experience with the K&K dual sources for about 13 years now.

I own 4 stand-alone dual-source preamps, and a mono output Fishman Platinum Stage preamp which works amazingly well with the K&K pure mini when I travel. The K&K belt pack preamp is the backup to my others when traveling. It sounds OK…whereas my external preamps (Raven, DTAR, Fishman) all sound better than the K&K Preamp, and have far more adjustability options and ability to interact with my stage amp, and house PA at the same time while leaving me independent control over my amp without affecting the house.

Hope this adds to the discussion…

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 01-31-2018, 02:33 PM

Hey everyone:

Thanks for your responses! ljguitar - I appreciated your thoughts. After seeing that a belt pack comes with the pro setup and I can use it with my wireless pack (albeit with two packs on my guitar strap), it seems to me like that's the route I'll go. I'd love to try other things that are of better quality, but I think I need to start here to see what flavor I truly prefer.

Thanks for all of the suggestions!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification