The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 01-29-2018, 05:07 PM

I don't think Eric wants to lug any more boxes around, one of his reasons for buying the inbuilt Aura guitar.

I have both! I can't stand plain piezos and have spend a bit on gadgets over the years to help. And an Aura D18!

I started looking at dual source pickups a few years back with a Fishman Rare Earth Blend with attached mic - I mainly turn the mag pickup off in the blend and work with the internal mic. I am very pleased with the sound, a bit of a compromise but I don't install the pickup - I let the lead dangle down the front, but that is fine for at home....good way to trip over everything if I took it anywhere like that!

But I played a friend's Maton with AP5-Pro pickup (piezo plus internal condenser mic with the controls on the body ala Taks, so I went and bought one of those - it is great, but we both have soundhole plugs so we can blast the things ....

In a similar vein to the Maton/Tak dual source thingy, I was reading a writeup in Guitarist UK magazine about the Faith Earth Legacy guitars and they were impressed. I haven't played, or seen one, but they sound very good for live fingerpickers - designed by famous UK luthier Patrick James Eggle (they call it the legacy guitar because he has announced he only will make electric guitars now) for Faith Guitars and made in Indonesia under very strict quality control.

Torrefied tops and some nice features including the Dual Source pickup with mic from Fishman:

https://guitarvillage.co.uk/products...-gloss-natural

BluesKing777.
Old 01-29-2018, 05:57 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluesKing777 View Post
I don't think Eric wants to lug any more boxes around, one of his reasons for buying the inbuilt Aura guitar.

I have both! I can't stand plain piezos and have spend a bit on gadgets over the years to help. And an Aura D18!

I started looking at dual source pickups a few years back with a Fishman Rare Earth Blend with attached mic - I mainly turn the mag pickup off in the blend and work with the internal mic. I am very pleased with the sound, a bit of a compromise but I don't install the pickup - I let the lead dangle down the front, but that is fine for at home....good way to trip over everything if I took it anywhere like that!

But I played a friend's Maton with AP5-Pro pickup (piezo plus internal condenser mic with the controls on the body ala Taks, so I went and bought one of those - it is great, but we both have soundhole plugs so we can blast the things ....

In a similar vein to the Maton/Tak dual source thingy, I was reading a writeup in Guitarist UK magazine about the Faith Earth Legacy guitars and they were impressed. I haven't played, or seen one, but they sound very good for live fingerpickers - designed by famous UK luthier Patrick James Eggle (they call it the legacy guitar because he has announced he only will make electric guitars now) for Faith Guitars and made in Indonesia under very strict quality control.

Torrefied tops and some nice features including the Dual Source pickup with mic from Fishman:

https://guitarvillage.co.uk/products...-gloss-natural

BluesKing777.

BINGO!

* I've done my share of lugging PA, Marshalls, cabs, gear etc...
I started out with just a single Guild D25 in the 70's and it escalated from there and now I've come not quite full circle, but I've worked hard on achieving a pleasing, non-quacky sound that is easily accessible, as well as easy to dial in while movin' 'round the stage. It was finding the right combo for me and my style while keeping the unload/setup and teardown/loadup to be most efficient as well as being easier on my back and vehicle; which was a fastback Mustang for many years >>> it cut down on travel time.

** This took work, but the MIJ Tak's, Cooltube, and Fishman Loudbox's (Artist & two Performers) got me there in later years; (the M80 in my D18 is also a noteworthy combo I also enjoy since I used mags early on in the 80's). However, when I found the F1AP, it gave me that much more on board tone shaping with the big plus of being on a standard, vintage styled Martin, NOOICE!! The F1AP is a bit more natural then the Cooltube, but the Tak system has it's own sound that is very thick and rewarding when your solo rockin' with just two hands, an amp, guitar and my ol' pipes!

*** Ya know the older I get, I could take my D18/M80 in one hand and my Loudbox Artist in the other and be done with it...of course I'd have to go back to the car and get the gig bag, the stands and the......oh well it never ends does it! LOL!!

KISS:

THEN:

and NOW:

cheers!

eric

Last edited by noledog; 01-29-2018 at 06:28 PM.
Old 01-29-2018, 07:02 PM

What cases are you lugging your guitars around in, Eric?

I am a Hiscox case fan, no affiliation - you could save your back a little bit and get the 000 Pro II model, about 9.5 pounds empty. The Martin cases while they look nice, well, what do they weigh? Phew! There is a video where 5 or 6 people at the Hiscox factory stand on one with a guitar in it...good protection whereas the others...ahem..may as well be paper bags!

I am a little distressed that my little Maton case weighs more than the Martin D case, or feels like it. A couple of years back, the higher end Matons had Hiscox flight cases (Maton branded) included - can't get them anymore and they have become gold...my Maton is a deep body that doesn't fit standard Hiscox cases. Fits in my Lowden S35 case for some reason... But I may buy a used Maton 808 to get the Hiscox case! I see them for sale occasionally but never just the case - always have a guitar.

Then an AER compact 60, weighs 3 feathers about....

Or better - only play where they have a nice little PA already....

BluesKing777.
Old 01-29-2018, 09:04 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluesKing777 View Post
What cases are you lugging your guitars around in, Eric?

I am a Hiscox case fan, no affiliation - you could save your back a little bit and get the 000 Pro II model, about 9.5 pounds empty. The Martin cases while they look nice, well, what do they weigh? Phew! There is a video where 5 or 6 people at the Hiscox factory stand on one with a guitar in it...good protection whereas the others...ahem..may as well be paper bags!

I am a little distressed that my little Maton case weighs more than the Martin D case, or feels like it. A couple of years back, the higher end Matons had Hiscox flight cases (Maton branded) included - can't get them anymore and they have become gold...my Maton is a deep body that doesn't fit standard Hiscox cases. Fits in my Lowden S35 case for some reason... But I may buy a used Maton 808 to get the Hiscox case! I see them for sale occasionally but never just the case - always have a guitar.

Then an AER compact 60, weighs 3 feathers about....

Or better - only play where they have a nice little PA already....

BluesKing777.
* I've had 3 Hiscox flight cases over the years when my Lowden LSEII was my main workhorse; I also had one for a second Lowden S23 and an Avalon...I liked the lite weight and durability, but my Martin & Tak cases are the Geib style with more compartment space I need. I'm ok with their weight.

** The Loudbox Artist is about 25lbs the Performers about 30, all good...I just don't do large PA speakers, stuff over 40lbs. Plus, it all fits nicely in my ride!

eric
Old 12-25-2019, 08:32 PM

Default Martin d-35e Retro

I know this thread is a little older, but I recently have been looking at getting a nicer/higher end acoustic and came across the opportunity to buy a Martin D-35E Retro (with the Fishman Aura F1 + system in it). It's an internet purchase, but the store has a 30 day return policy and they say it's new with manufacturer warranty. I've recently played some D-35s and have to say it's one of the nicer sounding guitars in the price range I'm looking at ($2500-$3000)

Seems like people on this forum have pretty high opinions of the Fishman Aura F1+. Obviously I need to get my hands on it and see if it plays and sounds as nice as other D-35s I've come across, but wanted to see if people had knowledge of this particular guitar. Sweetwater reviews are pretty positive.

Like I said, really been liking some D-35's I've played and definitely want one I can play through a PA. Compared to some higher end Taylors they just seem to have a fuller tone (though admittedly the taylors play really easily).
Old 12-26-2019, 07:08 AM

I've had this D35 E Retro for a few months now and it's been a real game changer for my live gigs. It's truly a versatile, natural sounding system with tons of controls over your tone and performance right at your fingertips. From a performer perspective it is everything I could wish for. Whether I'm playing solo in any amp or PA, or in a band situation with a soundman, I get great tone and great feel. The only thing I miss vs the K&K is the passive, no-batteries operation. Oh and the endpin jack, I don't like where it is located on the Retro.

I tend to use the first image as it is the dryer, older sounding one and I'm playing Folk and Blues. With this one I can get from -4 to +4 image blend, usually set at +3. I really dial back the image lows which can get boomy, boost the pickup lows. I boost the image mids a bit, and trebles it really depends on the PA.

Did I mention that the Retro sounds also great unplugged? It has this old Martin sound. Now I don't find the lows overpowering as D35s are associated with. To me it is very controlled. Really my only complain is the frets seem to get shaved quite fast, especially by the B string.

I like it so much I'm on the fence about getting a D18 Retro, flavours flavours
Old 12-26-2019, 08:17 AM

Default The Retro is now meaningless...

I’ve had several of the Retro models. When they were introduced, they were the only models to come standard with the 1-3/4” nut PA neck and electronics. I had both the HD-28 and D-35. The original models paired the Matrix under saddle pickup with the full electronics package mounted to the side of the guitar. The Aura plus system was the most versatile I’ve used live. Most important to me was that these models were the only ones to include Aura and the neck.

Ultimately, I decided that a pure acoustic with K&K (and some sort of pedal) was a better fit for me. Since all the standard models now come with the same neck you have more choices. I would argue that unless you are using the Retro as a stage guitar (as I was) you might find yourself happier with a standard model. That said, the European Spruce tops on the D-35 Retro are very nice indeed.

The only times I miss the Retro is when I’m playing with a loud group (with drums) on stage and wish I had the onboard controls.
Old 12-26-2019, 08:22 AM

[QUOTE=John Bartus;5616509]It seems instead of making things better, some guitar manufacturers just choose to make things worse. T
I understand the new Aura preamp and pickup system only has a couple of images, and no real editing controls. Plus, there’s no way to put a Feedback Buster in the sound hole to assist in high-volume situations. /QUOTE]

Actually, you can modify a Feedback Buster with a good pair of scissors and cut out a small hole for in-soundhole controls. Works great!
Ovation 1984 Collector's
Takamine FP317S New Yorker
Ibanez George Benson
Gibson 339
Gibson 2017 J45 Custom
Huss & Dalton CM sinker redwood
Emerald X20 Woody
Tom Anderson Crowdster Plus
Maton Nashville 808
Maton Messiah

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification