The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 03-22-2009, 09:46 PM

Default Composite Acoustics Xi

Anybody try one?? What did you think??

There's all this talk about the Cargos and GXi's, but what about the Xi's?? A few guys mentioned that the X's are nice as they are thinner. I like thin for comfort but not for the lack of bass. I am curious, do the Xi's get good bass the way Cargo's do, but with better mids??
Old 03-23-2009, 10:32 AM

I'm bumping my own post...

No one has tried an Xi???
Old 03-23-2009, 10:42 AM

I've been curious about it too. I've played their dreadnoughts, but I'm a lot more interested in one of the smaller bodies.

Anybody???

What I Got:
Larrivee Mahogany/Spruce Satin Parlor
Martin OMC-16GTE
Martin DSS-17
Alvarez MF60CEOM

Fender Special Run Standard Jazz Bass - Flame Maple top - Tobacco Burst (Moderately modified)
Old 03-23-2009, 11:30 AM

Try asking your question at: http://carbonguitar.com
Old 03-23-2009, 12:54 PM

Yes, I've tried a recent Xi-RT. I own a GXi-RT.

Here are some impressions.

The new RT finish is slightly different. It has moved toward gloss a little. You can almost, but not quite, leave finger prints. This has made it a bit easier to avoid getting that inadvertent brushing sound.

In my opinion (after donning a flame retardant suit), the Cargo is a fun guitar but not a guitar I'd put up against others in the sound department. It is purpose built. This is not true of the rest of the line of CA guitars, and not true of the Xi even though others will want to compare it to the Cargo.

The Xi is far more like a GXi "lite". It has less bass, and slightly less balance/integration across the strings than the GXi. That said, I could own the Xi - because it's a wonderful full-on guitar in its own right. It has authority and sings very nicely in registers just slightly higher than the GXi. And it's extremely comfortable.

If you get a chance, play one. Composite Acoustics is on to something good.
Old 03-24-2009, 12:28 AM

Coincidentally, I tried one of these today:

I was out buying some strings and minding my own business when I stumbled across this beauty.

It had a very nice, focussed (if a little muted) acoustic tone. Very balanced, no unwieldy overtones. I'm guessing this guitar would sound fantastic amplified. Wish I could have plugged it into an amp.

The neck felt wonderful and the 1-3/4" nut width made for a very comfortable, playable guitar.

Got me a little gassy.
Old 03-24-2009, 07:51 AM
Anticipation Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livingston View Post
Coincidentally, I tried one of these today:

I was out buying some strings and minding my own business when I stumbled across this beauty.

It had a very nice, focussed (if a little muted) acoustic tone. Very balanced, no unwieldy overtones. I'm guessing this guitar would sound fantastic amplified. Wish I could have plugged it into an amp.

The neck felt wonderful and the 1-3/4" nut width made for a very comfortable, playable guitar.

Got me a little gassy.
I own a GXi (HG tobacco burst). When you say a little muted, I think I know what you mean, but I no longer describe it that way. Did you play flesh, picks or both? When I first got my GXi, I noticed this effect only when playing with bare fingers, and as time has passed, I've learned to use as a desired effect for select songs where I wnat it. Using a pick was just incredible in every respect from the get-go. So overall, I find the GXi extremely versatile with a wide and unique tonal range.
Old 03-24-2009, 07:57 AM

By the way, the model I played was very shallow. Perhaps the Xi. I'm guessing it was around 2" or 2.5" in depth. Super light, very comfortable to hold. I plan to go back when I have more time and plug it in. I'm thinking this might be the ultimate acoustic electric.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber