The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 02-09-2009, 02:26 PM

Default CA Cargo RT finish

I sanded down the soundboard on my Cargo this weekend. It looks great and it no longer makes that scratchy sound when you touch the soundboard. It makes a really fun guitar even better!
Old 03-15-2009, 07:17 PM

You can do that?? You can sand down Carbon?? So is it a plain carbon finish now?? How hard was it to do??
Old 03-15-2009, 07:33 PM

I am sure it is just the finish ( paint) he sanded smooth could be done most likely with some real fine wed dry sand paper. CA guitars actually use an automotive finish which is more durable. They don`t have to resort to use wood type finishes with carbon fiber. After wed dry ( maybe wet sanding a bit) one can most likely buff it with polish or wax.

I am sure he will chime back in.
Old 03-15-2009, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leeasam View Post
I am sure it is just the finish ( paint) he sanded smooth could be done most likely with some real fine wed dry sand paper. CA guitars actually use an automotive finish which is more durable. They don`t have to resort to use wood type finishes with carbon fiber. After wed dry ( maybe wet sanding a bit) one can most likely buff it with polish or wax.

I am sure he will chime back in.
I never realized the the RT finish was just paint. For some reason I thought that this was unsanded carbon that simply got spray painted. I thought you would be sanding the carbon ... don't know why I had that in my head. Probably because the price point is so much lower. I guess they are skipping all the fine sanding and buffing that goes into a high gloss finish, thus lowering the price.

I knew this was an older post. I had heard of some guys sanding out the RT and it got my curious. I heard that some guys just went to an automotive type shop and had them buff it out.
Old 03-15-2009, 08:11 PM

I had a post in here ~4-5 months back about sanding the RT (or as I call it, bumps) off my Cargo.

It took about an hour, didn't change the way it looked, and all I did was take some 120 grit and remove the strings, and got rid of all the bumps on the RT finish wherever I felt my fingers might contact it. That completely cured any noise-related RT finish problems.

Worked well. I can't tell it from the original finish (It's on my some of my YouTube stuff post-RT-trauma), and a minimum of hassle. It was pretty much a greatly abbreviated version of what I'd heard many people talk about on this forum when they 're-glossed' a satin finish guitar.

Good luck

"Details": Started with 120 grit and got rid of the bumps (wet sanding), moved to ~400+ and polished it with that (wet), then just put some polish on it and went back to playing (well, after I put the strings back on ).
Old 03-15-2009, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papol View Post
I had a post in here ~4-5 months back about sanding the RT (or as I call it, bumps) off my Cargo.

It took about an hour, didn't change the way it looked, and all I did was take some 120 grit and remove the strings, and got rid of all the bumps on the RT finish wherever I felt my fingers might contact it. That completely cured any noise-related RT finish problems.

Worked well. I can't tell it from the original finish (It's on my some of my YouTube stuff post-RT-trauma), and a minimum of hassle. It was pretty much a greatly abbreviated version of what I'd heard many people talk about on this forum when they 're-glossed' a satin finish guitar.

Good luck

"Details": Started with 120 grit and got rid of the bumps (wet sanding), moved to ~400+ and polished it with that (wet), then just put some polish on it and went back to playing (well, after I put the strings back on ).
And those youtube clips sounded pretty clean (no swish swish).

I was just chatting with you in another CA related thread a few days back!

I am trying to get into a CA for as little as possible. Buying an RT (at a lesser price than the high gloss) and then being able to sand and buff the thing if the SWISH annoys me saves me a few hundred clams!

Thanx Papol!
Old 03-15-2009, 10:47 PM

Sure thing:: Good luck with the new CA. I didn't realize you could get them gloss now. So it must cost a few bucks more? I'd have thought they were the same.

Oh yes:: I also sanded the back of the neck a bit while I did this other thing just to speed it up a bit.

Anyway -- Enjoy ;)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber