The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 10-22-2003, 09:51 AM

Default strings for '93 810 - please advise

Hello folks -

I have a '93 810 that I have shamefully neglected, played maybe a half dozen times in the past two years -

I am getting back into it now, playing daily, dusting off those rusty strings -

I put on some Bluegrass gauge (medium bass, light treble) D'addario phos bronze when I first picked it back up about two weeks ago - a truss rod adjustment and I was off and running, sounded great -

I had been using light strings prior to that and am impressed with the extra thump that the medium bass strings give - I mainly strum classic hippy rock stuff like Neil Young, Grateful Dead, etc.

Two weeks later and those strings are pretty much dead - I kill strings pretty quickly, think my sweat is very acidic -

Want to try the coated strings because I have heard they last longer - should I go Elixer or something else?

I never liked how brand new phos bronze strings sound, too bright - but after a couple of days they are great - and I have never tried a different kind of string, always phos bronze uncoated -

So, considering I like the sound of Bluegarsss/medium light phos bronze strings after they get a few miles on them and aren't so bright (but aren't dead either), what make of coated strings would you folks suggets for me?

Thanks,

Matt in Baltimore
Old 10-22-2003, 10:34 AM

Matt:

My only experience with coated strings is the Elixir Nano and Poly. The nano's are a little brighter and may be closer to the "broken-in Phos Bronze" sound your looking for. The poly's are even more muted, as they have a heavier coating.

I agree with you on the "too-bright" sound of new PB strings, but I won't use coated strings anymore. I've found that John Pearse 80-20s are the ones for me. No, they won't last as long as coated strings, but the difference in price makes up for the shorter life, IMO. Also, I think the tone is better. The only downside is that I have to change strings more often.

Based on your criteria, though, I'd give the Elixirs a shot. Also, Elixir strings are what new Taylors have on them now from the factory (if that counts for anything).

If at first you don't succeed, find comfort in the fact that the grapes were probably sour anyway...
Old 10-22-2003, 10:41 AM
Undignified

I have used Elixir nanos and polys on my 814ce
The polys seemed a little warmer the nanos bright out of the box but settle down.
From my experience I can get 2-4 months sometimes from Elixirs.

I have also tried DR Extra pb's and like them as well. A little louder and fuller but did not last quite as long as Elixirs. I have not tried EXPs or GHS Infinity Bronze yet.

Everyone has their favorites. It gets a little costly trying to find a right coated string. If there is such a thing. I prefer uncoated but do not like having to change so frequently. Just re strung my
814ce with nanos.
My 614ce currently has DR Rare pb's (uncoated)

Also keep in mind. IMO, their is a degree of sacrifice in tone.

A trade off of sorts. Finding the right balance of good tone and good string life.

All the best.

2004 Martin OM28V
Old 10-22-2003, 10:58 AM

Thanks for responses - I'll try the Elixirs and see what I think - I hope they make a medium light/bluegrass set -

Anybody from Baltimore out there who likes to play Neil, Grateful Dead, classic rock stuff like that? I get tired of playing by myself. I would call myself a solid intermediate level player, maybe even a little better than that for the style of stuff I like to play - much better rhythm player than lead - and I have a good fundamental understanding of theory, can build chords, know the modes, etc...

Some harmony singing, maybe, but limited range, but I might be kidding myself on that one -

35 years young and married, if that matters to anyone -

Drop me a line if interested -

[email protected]

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion