The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments

Old 09-29-2013, 01:58 PM

Jim,

Try a Loar 600 F-style. Should run around $750-799...

Dave
Old 09-29-2013, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingoccc View Post
I understand the mahogany Big Muddy mandos are not as shrill as many others. They are not that expensive either. Check one out if you get the chance. http://bigmuddymandolin.com/product/m-11/

+1
I have a black walnut mid mo, Same builder great tone!
Old 09-30-2013, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kydave View Post
Jim,

Try a Loar 600 F-style. Should run around $750-799...

Dave
Would that be an upgrade though? I don't have a preference between A and F styles (although I do prefer the f shaped sound holes over the oval), and I've always heard that you get more tone for the buck with the A shape.

I have been ignoring lower end models lately, because I just assumed it won't be enough of an upgrade, but maybe I'm making a mistake with that approach. Thanks for suggestion, and getting me to rethink my current approach.

I've never seen a Big Muddy, but I'll certainly give them a whirl if I do run into one.
Old 09-30-2013, 10:53 PM

Over at Mandolin Cafe, used Big Muddy (ne'e Mid Missouri) has been the standard answer to questions like, "What is the best beginner mandolin?" and "What is the best mandolin under $5-$600. This is based the fact that these are all solid wood, American made instruments with an impeccable track record of personal service.

I had a Mid-Mo and in blew the lower end imports (sub $1k) away in terms of tone, fit and finish and playability. That being said, I am still not convinced that anything in the sub $1k range would be a significant step up.

A significant step would include many of my earlier suggestions that all ran in the $1k to $1.5K range, Rigel A Nat, Rigel A+, Flatiron A w/ F holes, or possibly a refinished Gibson A Jr Snakehead.
Old 10-01-2013, 07:24 AM

Your sig shows you in Mass. Wakefield Music is not too far away and they may have Big Muddy's in stock. Keep in mind Big Muddy's come with both spruce and mahogany tops. http://www.wakefieldmusic.com/Folk_Instruments.php Give them a call.
Old 10-01-2013, 07:39 AM

Thanks Bingo. For a second I was thinking Lunch Trip today! Wakefield MA is only 15 minutes away from where I work in Cambridge. Alas, this store is down in Rhode Island (I was wondering why I had never heard of it). But maybe if I promise to take my wife to one of the fine Federal Hill restaurants in Providence, I can sneak a side-trip in.

I just took a peek at your earlier link to Big Muddy. Do they only do oval holed instruments? That's all I saw. I hate that I'm this superficial, but I really want the f holes.
Old 10-01-2013, 08:19 AM

Sorry. No F holes. They are a fairly basic build instrument. Your opening comment about finding your tone shrill and tinny led me to recommend round holes and mahogany. Anyways, good luck with the hunt!
Old 10-01-2013, 09:26 AM

Not only are Big Muddys oval hole, they are flat tops, like flat top guitars. They have a nice tone, but they do not project like a carved-top, and a carved-top will have a quicker decay, all things being equal.
Old 10-03-2013, 04:48 PM
Charter Member

Pava worked at Collings for years before going to Ellis.

The Gibson that was stolen was in the $5k range. Look through the cafe classifieds. There are a few used MT's.

Also try mandomutt.com. He always has nice instruments and he is a nice guy, honest. He's got a new Girouard, made in NH.
Old 10-10-2013, 04:10 PM

One way to get a different voice from your current mandolin is to try different strings, different pick thickness and different pick-roundness. Are you using J-74s (mediums) or lights? I'd go with mediums. Have you tried flat-wound strings (FW-74s or Thomastik Starks)? Are you using a pick that's at least 1mm thick? Is it too pointed?

All these "little" things (along with your technique) make a difference. I'd bet your current mandolins is fairly efficient (check setup though). You may be surprised by what you find by the other factors.

f-d
Old 10-10-2013, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim_G View Post
Thanks Bingo. For a second I was thinking Lunch Trip today! Wakefield MA is only 15 minutes away from where I work in Cambridge. Alas, this store is down in Rhode Island (I was wondering why I had never heard of it). But maybe if I promise to take my wife to one of the fine Federal Hill restaurants in Providence, I can sneak a side-trip in.

I just took a peek at your earlier link to Big Muddy. Do they only do oval holed instruments? That's all I saw. I hate that I'm this superficial, but I really want the f holes.
Absolutely take the trip to Wakefield Music! Dennis will help you out and insure that your instrument is properly set up. It's a small shop, but stocked to overflowing with a ton of instruments.
Let's see...so far I've purchased a Lowden O12, a Taylor GC3, a Regal Tricone, a Regal Duolian, and had every instrument I've owned set up in his shop. It's a 60 mile ride for me and well worth it!

A couple of guitars
A Merida DG16 Classical Guitar
A couple of banjos
A Yueqin
A Mountain Dulcimer that I built
A Hammered Dulcimer that I'm currently building
And a fiddle that I built!

Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana.
Old 10-14-2013, 05:18 AM

Thanks Dan, I will definitely eventually get down to the RI shop.

And Fatt, I haven't played around with different strings yet. But I have been trying different picks. I had a very thick Wegen, something like a 1.60, and I was getting used to them. But I lose everything so I finally lost the 3rd of the 3 pack last month.

They didn't have the same thickness at TME during my last visit, so I have something thinner. I forget exactly how thin w/o the package in front of me. It was > 1 and < 1.60. But I'm having a hard time holding on to them now. It's still an oval-ish shape and normally I have a triangular pick in my hand for guitar. So I don't know what to think anymore, except to keep experimenting. I'm still pretty sure my right hand is as much the culprit as anything though.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments