The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 03-14-2010, 10:17 AM

Red face What's the verdict?

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddiesorg View Post
Rod and I also talked about whether or not to stain the Mahogany when we were going over the details on the 12-string. You can see it at http://stringsnthings.org/hsguitar/Notes/FE12note.html

We didn't with the 6-string since appointments were identical (except for number of strings and those things which needed to be changed because of it). You can see it (as well as some pictures of "The Twins" together) at http://stringsnthings.org/hsguitar/Notes/FE6note.html

The RD has different appointments ... but I'm glad he kept with the all wood theme .. at least I think he has ... I haven't seen the headstock yet ... well, it should be here within about 15 hours ...
So... have you got an assessment of the new Schenk dreadnaught yet?
Old 03-15-2010, 12:43 AM

Well, I took pictures today (I know how everyone wants pictures) and worked on its web page today ... there's a link to it at:

http://stringsnthings.org/hsguitar/new.html

I played it a bunch, comparing it to various guitars ... I think it fits in really nicely ... and I think at least one guitar's days are numbered because of the RD ... though I'd hate to part with it since it's a great guitar, too.

It's a really great dreadnought ... big, solid sound ... but it's great at the delicate stuff, too ... awesome in open D (it even competes with my Bensusan which resides in open D) ... I think I have to play it by itself before really talking about it ... playing a couple minutes then playing another for a couple minutes back and forth isn't how you get to know an instrument ... but I knew it was good from the first note.
Old 03-15-2010, 02:37 AM
AGF Owner & Founder

Nice! I love the micro-bevel.

JR
Old 03-15-2010, 05:09 AM

What a nice trio of Schenk guitars! He's definitely got a different take on the dreadnaught shape. And doesn't the back of his guitar have the most radical curve you'll see?

BTW, I'd like to know where you get those wooden guitar stands. They're gorgeous!
Old 03-15-2010, 11:41 PM

Well, I think I have a keeper ... just played it for an hour and got lost in its music.

The stands were made by John Ramsey ... he used to make foot stools, too ... I don't think he's making them anymore ... at least I can't seem to find his website.
Old 03-22-2010, 05:43 PM

Well, I've had the guitar for a bit over a week ... and I've been playing it almost every day ...

If you ever get a chance to play Rod's instruments, take advantage of it. The RD has the power of a dreadnought, but the tonal subtleties of a fingerstyle instrument ... play it soft, play it loud, it shines ... wonderfully responsive and lyrical. Not your typical dreadnought.

I had a similar response back when I first played his prototype 12-string. It had such a solid and balanced sound, unlike any 12-string I had played (which usually sounded thin and bright). When I had him build mine, I challenged him to build one even warmer ... and he met the challenge. I string it with 9-45s, but it sounds full and lush.

I've been trying to decide which 6-string I prefer more ... the RD or FE ... and I just can't decide. The RD is loud and bright ... the FE is lush and warm. But I guess I don't have to decide ... since this weekend I reorganized the guitar closet and got them all to fit.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop