The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops

Old 01-02-2016, 07:23 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cogito View Post
In that case I wouldn't hesitate to try a wide selection, including the D'Aquistos. And I'd be interested in hearing your thoughts about the relative merits of the archtops you try out. In particular, I've always wondered how original D'Aquistos compare to the work of contemporary builders. I've heard some suggest that D'Aquisto's have some special magic - in the way that a Stradivarius does - that eludes other builders. Others seem to think that's bunk.
I have had the pleasure of playing a number of D'Aquistos and D'Angelicos over the years. Some I thought were "excellent" guitars and others just "good" (nothing to write home about). These guys were human and like all builders some come out better than others. Jimmy no doubt made some spectacular guitars across his career. I think his break out thinking to refine/transform the archtop design that his master John taught him to make is why he should be held in such high esteem.

I frankly think John D'Angelico is the better Stradivari match. Both John and Antonio had lengthy careers and made a large volume of guitars and violins. Jimmy is more like the Guarneri of archtop guitars to me if we're going down that road of comparisons.

I think to say he is better than any of today's best is a stretch and a belief system held tightly by owners and resellers of his work based upon exclusivity/rarity of demised luthier's work; a romantically sad story of a master and his apprentice both passing away too young at the same exact age etc..

There are a number of artisans doing this for 20-40 years now building upon what had already been done. To think that none of these luthiers are capable of the same level of mastery is a romantic thought held onto tightly by D'Aquisto owners, collectors and resellers.

I would however encourage Matthew to play whatever is there and enjoy the moment!

My $.02
Old 01-03-2016, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthewpartrick View Post
We're going to find out! The Ribbecke that he has looks great and is in my price range, but no pickup, which I suppose is an easily rectifiable issue.
That Ribbecke is a beauty, and is priced very reasonably. And, yes, adding a pickup would be straightforward. Should be a fun visit.
Old 01-03-2016, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iim7V7IM7 View Post
I have had the pleasure of playing a number of D'Aquistos and D'Angelicos over the years. Some I thought were "excellent" guitars and others just "good" (nothing to write home about). These guys were human and like all builders some come out better than others. Jimmy no doubt made some spectacular guitars across his career. I think his break out thinking to refine/transform the archtop design that his master John taught him to make is why he should be held in such high esteem.

I frankly think John D'Angelico is the better Stradivari match. Both John and Antonio had lengthy careers and made a large volume of guitars and violins. Jimmy is more like the Guarneri of archtop guitars to me if we're going down that road of comparisons.

I think to say he is better than any of today's best is a stretch and a belief system held tightly by owners and resellers of his work based upon exclusivity/rarity of demised luthier's work; a romantically sad story of a master and his apprentice both passing away too young at the same exact age etc..

There are a number of artisans doing this for 20-40 years now building upon what had already been done. To think that none of these luthiers are capable of the same level of mastery is a romantic thought held onto tightly by D'Aquisto owners, collectors and resellers.

I would however encourage Matthew to play whatever is there and enjoy the moment!

My $.02
Thanks for sharing your thoughts on this. There was some interesting research recently involving a blind playoff by professional violinists with Strads and contemporary violins suggesting that the "magic" of a Stradivarius is in fact something more like the romantic illusion you describe in the case of certain archtops:

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/04/08/sc...tell.html?_r=0
Old 01-08-2016, 04:36 PM
FKA matthewpartrick :)

Thanks for everyone's advice! Will keep you posted. As Bob and I discussed yesterday, I have two mental camps right now: Vintage, maybe mid fifties Gibson, or modern.
Old 01-17-2016, 06:30 PM

You going to Retrofret in Brooklyn? They have a bunch of great old archtops last time I was there.
Old 01-17-2016, 07:50 PM

iim7V7IMA7 wrote:

"I think to say he is better than any of today's best is a stretch and a belief system held tightly by owners and resellers of his work based upon exclusivity/rarity of demised luthier's work; a romantically sad story of a master and his apprentice both passing away too young at the same exact age etc.."

Actually, I'd be careful about dismissing the esteem in which D'Aquisto and D'Angelico are held as the economic self-interest of owners and re-sellers, or as romantic narrative based on their early passing.

I neither own nor sell their instruments, but I have played a number of them along with archtops from virtually all the main contemporary builders. In my experience, and unlike the world of flattop guitars in which the very best builders are all fairly tightly packed as a group, D'Angelico and D'Aquisto are dramatic outliers--even today in their own class and approached by literally only one or two living builders.

No financial interest or romantic attachment in that assessment, just listening closely to every archtop I could find for 20 years. To my ears, D'Angelicos can vary more, which makes sense in that he involved others in their construction, and produced nearly 5 times as many instruments in the same career length as D'Aquisto. But as a body of work, their instruments are unequalled in my experience. --Richard
Old 01-17-2016, 11:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WordMan View Post
You going to Retrofret in Brooklyn? They have a bunch of great old archtops last time I was there.
I will make it a point to stop by, thanks
Old 01-18-2016, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthewpartrick View Post
I will make it a point to stop by, thanks
And when you go, please try out the $85,000 Monteleone and let us know what you think: https://reverb.com/item/1520508-john...ard-shell-case It might make those 35 - 45k D'Aquistos over at Larry's look like bargains.

Last edited by cogito; 01-18-2016 at 09:22 AM.
Old 01-18-2016, 11:33 AM

Default Get to NYC periodically...

Work on bond and loan transactions, so have to visit the ratings services and investors. Always check this site before hopping on plane to NYC:

http://www.nyjazzreport.com/

Have seen Pat Metheny/Larry Grenadier, Julian Lage/Fred Hersch, Mike Stern, Wayne Krantz...last minute decisions after checking the above.

Agree with recommendations to see Rudy's now only in Soho. Can always catch a bite a great bistro Balthazar in same neighborhood - great shellfish towers, mussels or steak frites. Took some buddies there after Cream at MSG and John Mayer walked in with a supermodel and a bag of Cream T-shirts.
Old 01-18-2016, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cogito View Post
And when you go, please try out the $85,000 Monteleone and let us know what you think: https://reverb.com/item/1520508-john...ard-shell-case It might make those 35 - 45k D'Aquistos over at Larry's look like bargains.
Well, to be fair, they're all out of my price range, now and forever more. But, that's not to say they're not worthwhile playing; sometimes a guy's got to dream. I do think it's helpful for me to have a benchmark in terms of tone, even if it's out of reach.
Old 01-25-2016, 06:36 PM
Charter Member

Default Music in NYC

Matt Munistieri with the Earegulars at the Ear Inn, Sunday evenings, lower Manhattan at 326 Spring St.
Old 02-01-2016, 08:02 PM

Cool, thanks!
Old 04-15-2016, 12:43 PM

Would love to hear a report about the trip and your thoughts about the archtops you tried out.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops