The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 03-13-2010, 04:28 PM

Default Saville OM

OK, it's about time I wrote this. A couple of years ago I became aware of Steve Saville and his guitars and decided to order one. He finished it just before the holidays last year and I believe I got it the weekend before Thanksgiving. Since then, I have been playing it relentlessly. It is walnut b/s with a cedar top, an oval sound port, a beveled arm-rest and a cutaway. I have tried several different strings (right now I'm using GHS Laurence Juber strings with excellent results) and a variety of tunings, though lately, due to the music I've been working on, I've pretty much kept it in DADGAD. It plays marvelously smooth. The neck profile (I think Steve calls it a modified C) is extremely comfortable and easy to move around on. The tone is very nice, very good projection and has a rounder (mellower?) tone (if that makes any sense) than my two spruce topped dreads. It sits nicely on my lap and fits me perfectly. I have to say, one the nicest things about the sound-port is the ability to look inside the guitar and get a better look at the innards of the thing. I am extremely satisfied with my custom-build guitar and really enjoyed the ability to be involved from wood selection to finished product. I highly recommend the experience and highly recommend Steve Saville as luthier.

Old 03-13-2010, 07:04 PM

Bring it next Sat. I really want to see and hear how she sounds!

Happy moments!
Difficult moments!
Quiet moments!
Painful moments!
Every moment!
Thankful for something bigger than the internet to express my gratitude for living

"If I cannot do great things, I can do small things in a great way.”
~Martin Luther King Jr.
Old 03-13-2010, 07:11 PM
Charter Member

Congrats, she's a beauty. Cedar & Walnut is a great combo and you've got some nice nice features with the bevel & soundport. I love looking inside a soundport too

That Walnut has beautiful figure, any chance you could post a bigger pic so we could get a better look?
Old 03-13-2010, 09:40 PM
Me

That's very kind of you Mike. Thank you.

pg60 - You want larger pic's?

Old 03-14-2010, 01:16 AM
happiness

That's a real beauty, I love the walnut, and that kind of bodyshape with the blunt cutaway is exactly what I'd want if I was looking for a new guitar right now

I can't quite make out the 12th fret inlay, have you got a closer-up pic of that please?

Fliss

Last edited by Fliss; 03-14-2010 at 01:24 AM. Reason: typo
Old 03-14-2010, 01:21 AM
Me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fliss View Post
.......I can't quite make out the 12th fret inlay,.
Fliss - How's this?

Old 03-14-2010, 01:23 AM
happiness

Cool, thanks Steve. I like that, it's unusual and interesting

Fliss
Old 03-15-2010, 01:02 PM
Me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fliss View Post
... I like that, it's unusual and interesting

Fliss
Fliss,
It is a nice shape. I'll let Mike explain what the symbol is all about, if he wants.
Old 03-15-2010, 01:20 PM

Talking

looks kind of like the play button on my old vcr
Colossians 3:23

Cort EARTH CUSTOM SHOP SERIES ECCNA for sale or trade

MIM Fender Deluxe Players Stratocaster in Translucent red

MIM Blacktop Tele (black on black)

ESP (LTD)EC-401-VF (les paul in flamed honeyburst)

Burner # 9 Hormigo and Carpathian spruce. Amazing! combo of woods and craftsmanship!(not for sale at any price!)
Thank you Paul and Kyle!!
Old 03-16-2010, 10:09 PM

OK, for Fliss. . . the inlay at the 12th fret is the symbol for an organization that has a certain affinity for a guy named Bill Wilson. In fact, the members of that organization, most of whom never met him, often refer to themselves as friends of Bill. I myself think of him as a friend. . .
Old 03-21-2010, 12:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCanup View Post
... the inlay at the 12th fret is the symbol for an organization that has a certain affinity for a guy named Bill Wilson. In fact, the members of that organization, most of whom never met him, often refer to themselves as friends of Bill. I myself think of him as a friend. . .
That works for me -- all the way around. I'm on the same page as you in that respect.

The guitar is a real beauty -- congrats!

Bill
Old 03-21-2010, 03:55 AM
happiness

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCanup View Post
OK, for Fliss. . . the inlay at the 12th fret is the symbol for an organization that has a certain affinity for a guy named Bill Wilson. In fact, the members of that organization, most of whom never met him, often refer to themselves as friends of Bill. I myself think of him as a friend. . .
Thanks for the explanation. It's great to have something like that, which clearly means a lot to you, inlaid into your guitar.

Fliss

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop